R&R Transport, Redruth, Cornwall

Conway Bailey very good company my mate worked with them for 5 years out of merthyr.

i live/work in cornwall

TiredAndEmotional:
(conway bailey)

Minimum wage for adults is £7.83 ph. You’re certainly getting close to that on those hours. Legally you are not permitted to work more than 12 and 3 quarter hours per day on those rates, Mon-Fri.

Their reasoning (probably along with alot of firms like this) lots of hours waiting at rdc’s/factories/farms getting loaded/unloaded doesnt class as working hours.

thats why they pay a set shift rate, if they paid hourly rate from the time a driver put the card in, they’d get caught out.

but saying that, they push their drivers to max hours as much as possible, but won’t push for anything illegal. their work is mind numbingly boring, and not a lot of local work going (old boys have it ■■■■■■■). will absolutly have you on 5 on, 2 off 6 on, 1 off.

even if you say you need x day off every week or have a specific requirement, they’ll forget it 100%

all said, they are on par or slightly better pay than most firms in cornwall and they’re always busy with tesco/sainsburys/lidl/bookers/fowler welch work plus other fridge work for fruit/veg/flower work up and down to spalding.
r&r have some more interesting work on the flatbeds i’ve heard, but they have their set boys who do the good stuff.

cornwall is rubbish for hgv rates unless you get (very) lucky, rates go up when you reach avonmouth/bristol