R F Brookes

Ade1970:
A675 HRY again, the white mudwings were distinctive. I thought Kev the ABC 271 and 273Y F1017’s with the 16 speed boxes were a touch quicker than this 8 speed F10 but after spending my childhood limping up the St Julian’s and Bath banks on the M4 in Guy’s, Ford D’s and Atki Borderers the Volvo’s freighted went up them like a missile in comparison.

Volvo F10/F12 sleepers with side and rear windows are a rare sight!

hayday:

phantom:
I think the 16 speed were better on the hills, but the 8 speeds were better on the flat, all the names you speak of I remember, they were good lads at Rogerstone I spent a lot of time on that bit of waste ground at the side of the factory and in the canteen. I wonder what happened to all the Volvo’s and if someone has one in preservation. It was a really good job and they had a book full of drivers names waiting for a job and the kit was always spot on, some old trailers but all clean and tidy.

the Volvo “HRY” ended up down at BOC Patchway and the drivers named it Henry. I think the one of the night men used it most (poss John or Alan Brice) seem to recall it was a bit quick!

Yes and to be fair I think the boys at Leicester maintained these vehicles very well.

Not a great pic’ but I knew I had it somewhere. It apparently started out as a 4x2 tractor unit, it was stretched to a 4-wheeler rigid with draw-bar trailer, but with the weight of its Gardner 6LXCT engine & the Fridge unit it overloaded the front axle, so a Primrose second-steer axle was fitted. Spent most of its life going between Leicester & ■■■■■■■■■■■■

IMG_NEW.jpg

Sorry to drag back up, my father worked for these out of wigston 1987 onwards. Erf’s then. Malcolm from Norfolk. Any pics of erf’s?

My Grandads best mate, Barry Deacon used to drive for RF Brookes out of wigston !
And I passed my class one with a driver called Reg Thomas who was currently on for Brooke’s driving an F10 wagon and drag !
They had most of magna road in wigston in the early 90s !

adr:
Not a great pic’ but I knew I had it somewhere. It apparently started out as a 4x2 tractor unit, it was stretched to a 4-wheeler rigid with draw-bar trailer, but with the weight of its Gardner 6LXCT engine & the Fridge unit it overloaded the front axle, so a Primrose second-steer axle was fitted. Spent most of its life going between Leicester & ■■■■■■■■■■■■

My father drove this, Chinese 6 he said the called it. Went well too.

adr:

oooh that was a bag of ■■■■, the Volvo was much better drove them both many times

phantom:

adr:

oooh that was a bag of [zb], the Volvo was much better drove them both many times

You been in hibernation ?

welcome back,phantom! was speaking to one of George Jenkins lads the other week…he said your an OD nowadays,working out of Southampton?