Quarter turn valves on suzies

weeto:

Wiretwister:
@uktramp - why do you think they were taken out? :unamused:

Is he talking about taps, or is it palm couplings?

I took the use of the word ā€˜ā€˜valvesā€™ā€™ as meaning taps. The OP would have to correct me if that is not the case & he actually meant palm connectors.

spike78:

UKtramp:
I cannot understand why quarter turn air valves are not a standard feature on all trucks. What a pleasure all week last week I had where these where fitted. It is bad for your leg having to push those without them on. I am sure there will be some macho drivers that will comment ā€œā– ā– ā– ā–  it up buttercupā€ but the difference they make really make swapping trailers aMost a pleasure. Such a low cost device should surely be standard equipment.

OMG HERE WE GO AGAIN :open_mouth:

The saviour has returned ( never left ā– ā–  )

^^^^
prob just waited till the premod/ban on the user name ended before starting with the sameold pish againā€¦its not as if the clones havent been busy in the meantime thoughā€¦ :unamused:

Used to think suzie taps were a good idea many years ago, the taps made an ideal place to hang my ropes on. Everything was fine until I came round the old Brighton ring road and weight of rope pulled tap shut, started braking going down a hill and jack-knifed. Luckily I missed everybody and only did small amount of damage to side of cab but learnt a valuable lesson that day.

dieseldog999:

spike78:

UKtramp:
I cannot understand why quarter turn air valves are not a standard feature on all trucks. What a pleasure all week last week I had where these where fitted. It is bad for your leg having to push those without them on. I am sure there will be some macho drivers that will comment ā€œā– ā– ā– ā–  it up buttercupā€ but the difference they make really make swapping trailers aMost a pleasure. Such a low cost device should surely be standard equipment.

^^^^
prob just waited till the premod/ban on the user name ended before starting with the sameold pish againā€¦its not as if the clones havent been busy in the meantime thoughā€¦ :unamused:

It doesnā€™t matter who the op is or what his past history of posting behaviour is, if a thread is of interest to you and you feel you have something of value to contribute towards it then do so, if not then donā€™t.

You are the ones introducing negativity to this thread not the op, think about that.

Oh and fyi the member in question was never banned his hiatus was of his own accord.

Some of you seem unaware that you have the ability to ignore something or somebody that you do not like. You do not have to comment on it, there is no obligation, you can, read it and shake your head, read aloud to company and say look at this tool, or simple press the back button and move on to something you do like.

Unless of course you are compelled to comment, which by your own definition would be considered troll feeding.

Okay,as there is a bit of interest in thisā€¦
had this fitted to my unit.Male connection blank.Attach female coupling to it,empties tanks in seconds,enables single handed airline coupling.
Pulling fridges,so space is virtually non existant.
Split coupling frowned upon in the yard.
Don`t even need to have it fitted,you could simply carry one with you.
Sorry,just below the brush,and above to the right of the marker light.
Cropped by Niall Daniels, on Flickr

WhiteTruckMan:
I never actually knew the taps were now illegal, but having seen it here, I canā€™t help but wonder about the road legal terberg tugs I occasionally see running around Trafford park. Never driven the road legal ones, but have done a couple of yard only tugs over the years, and they all had taps.

The difference between terbergs and std trucks of old is when you turn the valve off (its not a tap but a valve) on the terberg it dumps all the air from the suzies so no air means no move.

whiplash:
had this fitted to my unit.Male connection blank.Attach female coupling to it,empties tanks in seconds,enables single handed airline coupling.

Being a daf that will be so the wrecker guy can couple up his air supply when you break down, not if but when :grimacing:

Reef:

dieseldog999:

spike78:

UKtramp:

^^^^

It doesnā€™t matter who the op is or what his past history of posting behaviour is, if a thread is of interest to you and you feel you have something of value to contribute towards it then do so, if not then donā€™t.

You are the ones introducing negativity to this thread not the op, think about that.

Oh and fyi the member in question was never banned his hiatus was of his own accord.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
just a wee drama queen hissy fit then with the toys all back in the pram now then?

Trickydick:

whiplash:

Being a daf that will be so the wrecker guy can couple up his air supply when you break down, not if but when :grimacing:

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Trickydick:

WhiteTruckMan:
I never actually knew the taps were now illegal, but having seen it here, I canā€™t help but wonder about the road legal terberg tugs I occasionally see running around Trafford park. Never driven the road legal ones, but have done a couple of yard only tugs over the years, and they all had taps.

The difference between terbergs and std trucks of old is when you turn the valve off (its not a tap but a valve) on the terberg it dumps all the air from the suzies so no air means no move.

Yep, if you donā€™t turn the valve off before disconnecting then air flows because there is no ball valve in the metal coupling, not that I use the airlines when shunting (with a terberg) unless I have to (no air in trailer, really heavy or a bloody TNT trailer with the shunt button boxed in) as i personally prefer to use the shunt button.

It makes a good case for standardising palm couplings though

Wheel Nut:

God no. This is one of those rare situations where our set up is way way better than the alternative. Palm couplings are an unreliable pain in the arse

switchlogic:

Wheel Nut:

God no. This is one of those rare situations where our set up is way way better than the alternative. Palm couplings are an unreliable pain in the arse

Agreed, theyā€™re horrid things imo.

Reef:

switchlogic:

Wheel Nut:

Agreed, theyā€™re horrid things imo.

Yep

I have used palm couplings for over 20 years, maybe more and never had any issues with them, they have never come off, if they leak a finger full of oil stops them, new seals are easy to fit, C Type seize up and cause drivers an issue it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I have my shunters hat on I have to place a Salvo lock on outsiders trailers, 'cos Iā€™m a nice guy Iā€™ll always try to put their red airline back on afterwards unless itā€™s covered in grease or ridiculously close coupled and I can state unequivocally that Iā€™d rather deal with palm couplings over push fit ones every single time.

the maoster:
When I have my shunters hat on I have to place a Salvo lock on outsiders trailers, 'cos Iā€™m a nice guy Iā€™ll always try to put their red airline back on afterwards unless itā€™s covered in grease or ridiculously close coupled and I can state unequivocally that Iā€™d rather deal with palm couplings over push fit ones every single time.

I completely agree maoster me old chum. Palm fittings are far easier, even with the adapters they beat push fits.

switchlogic:

Wheel Nut:

Iā€™ve been using palms for the last eleven years, theyā€™re no problem at all, never had one pop off and theyā€™re very easy to connect and disconnect.

I never had any trouble with the old tap style either though and I found the new self opening/sealing couplings a PITA, especially when the deep pin 13.6m trailers came out in the early 90s.

I donā€™t know why they had to fix something that wasnā€™t broken, but someone in an office somewhere thought it necessary, so thatā€™s what we had to do.