Possibly a Driver Shortage?

kr79:
In the east lonxon essex area there strugling to find experinced skip ro ro and tipper drivers. Paying well but a lot of older blokes havent renewed there brief on medical this year and tesco dc near by paying 31k starting wage

There is a real shortage of drivers in the construction sector in the London area tippers,mixers,skips,roll on offs,good money on offer up to £2.50/hr above the current rate (Kr will know how much I mean) but still no takers & no newbies,cue the next EE influx!,but out of those guys only about 2% are any good(I must have been lucky & got one of the 2% he is a great asset & real sensible bloke or as we say around here a “diamond geezer”) :wink:

I would say that there is a shortage at the moment, I have had to drop the odd few shifts due to insufficient rest etc. and the agencies have been unable to cover the shifts. I have said it before, I will say it again now - Employed Drivers, not a huge shortage, plenty of people lining up to get a truck they can polish and put a set of peek a boos in.

The real shortage is in the temporary / agency / contracted in drivers market, especially with the number of agency drivers that are supposedly leaving the industry because they will not pay for the DCPC…

I sent a nicely worded letter to my customers stating that on the Week Commencing 7th September 2014 my standard rate will be increasing by £1.10 (10%), I have been told that is acceptable and understandable. The way I see it is that September to December, the agencies will pay whatever they need to pay to get bums on seats.

I don’t think the raise is unreasonable either, at the end of the day, all told, the DCPC has probably cost me somewhere in the region of £1250, so £1.10 an hour to re-compensate for that cost is not bad IMO
The picture will be painted when January comes around, although that is when I have a 2 month holiday planned.

trubster:
the DCPC has probably cost me somewhere in the region of £1250

:open_mouth: WTF. They certainly saw you coming!

Left hand down!:

trubster:
the DCPC has probably cost me somewhere in the region of £1250

:open_mouth: WTF. They sure saw you coming!

I mean in the cost of courses, lost work, travel and all the other crap associated with it.

Also a ball ache as I work nights, so it wasn’t just 1 day work lost for a course.

Left hand down!:

trubster:
‘…the DCPC has probably cost me somewhere in the region of £1250…’

‘… They certainly saw you coming…!’

Hang-on: I support a colleague if he says that’s what it cost him.

Would a Dr slag-off another Dr - or a lawyer vs. another lawyer?

Westminster rolled over to demand that we get professionally [pee poor] EU qualified - so let them (society? us? - doh!) reap from their sowing of pro-EU ineptitude

Government inflation figures will doubtlessly be adversely affected by this DCPC criminality - and I don’t see any point with us in-bickering to argue it down.

Short-sighted, four year Governmental term ‘planning’ allied with pro-EU claptrap diktats needs a longer focal length and better respect for our longer term situation - as long as we don’t place doubt that we have all been ripped off - which we have

Happy Keith:

Left hand down!:

trubster:
‘…the DCPC has probably cost me somewhere in the region of £1250…’

‘… They certainly saw you coming…!’

Hang-on: I support a colleague if he says that’s what it cost him.

Would a Dr slag-off another Dr - or a lawyer vs. another lawyer?

Westminster rolled over to demand that we get professionally [pee poor] EU qualified - so let them (society? us? - doh!) reap from their sowing of pro-EU ineptitude

Government inflation figures will doubtlessly be adversely affected by this DCPC criminality - and I don’t see any point with us in-bickering to argue it down.

Short-sighted, four year Governmental term ‘planning’ allied with pro-EU claptrap diktats needs a longer focal length and better respect for our longer term situation - as long as we don’t place doubt that we have all been ripped off - which we have

So why didn’t you make a stand and refuse to do it then? You’ve done the same as most others and just rolled over but continue to whine about it and the EU at any given opportunity. The fact you’ve done it leaves you in no position to moan about it anymore. You made your bed… Now stfu and change the record? :bulb:

Left hand down!:
'…So why didn’t you make a stand and refuse to do it then…? Now stfu and change the record?

And amuse you with my unemployability? I don’t think so, mate :unamused:

None of this is new - but lets hear a counter argument rather than personalising what is clearly some irritation (or you’d not be on the thread, eh)

I do believe that this time next year we will look at the dCPC as the best thing to happen to us that adds some value to our industry. I could be wrong but its unusual.
Are there any idiots on here that have done the same course 5 times, yes its acceptable but very stupid.

Course I also belive that the conservatives have historically always fixed labours mess, so my opinion should always be treated with a pinch (or shovel full) of salt.

trubster:
I would say that there is a shortage at the moment, I have had to drop the odd few shifts due to insufficient rest etc. and the agencies have been unable to cover the shifts.

We seem to be struggling too filling slots especially weekends there doesn’t seem enough agency around lately and they even foolishly asked if I wanted overtime. But we seem also to be struggling to get full time drivers or rather suitable ones that is, we had one starting and cried off last minute.

I think the agency I am currently offering my services to have seen that there is going to be a problem so have increased my rates by £2.00 per hour to continue supplying them my services.

There’s an artificial boom being created at the moment, after all there’s a General Election next year so there will be a shortage of drivers right now. Whether things stay the same once interest rates go up is another matter entirely, and I think the Conservatives have figured out now that their core voters are not too impressed with ZIRP.

Cotswoldcrunch:

kr79:
In the east lonxon essex area there strugling to find experinced skip ro ro and tipper drivers. Paying well but a lot of older blokes havent renewed there brief on medical this year and tesco dc near by paying 31k starting wage

And no rushing about with Tescos or playing in the mud. TBH tipper firms are to blame, the London boys like Keltbray and Thames Materials have such a bad reputation (just google them and “lorries” to see what I mean. Tipper firms have treated drivers like crap with their push push push mentality, probably because they’re undercutting each other like an Olympic sport just to get the work. They then expect the driver to get the extra load or two per day to pay for their rate slashing. I found out in my last tipper job what our customer was paying our boss, subtract the tipping charges etc and it turned out the job was at a loss (the site foreman told us the rate per load). Obviously we weren’t allowed a steady day when to fly about like an idiot turned a loss to a break even/slim profit. We were on day hire so the customer was obviously going to turn the screw on us.

You were just got in with the wrong crowd it don’t have to be as black as you paint it BTW don’t believe everything on “tinternet” ditch the “carrot cruncher” mentality “o arr tis them there London boys that carve the job up” we can’t afford to work cheap our ex’s much higher than country firms :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:
There’s an artificial boom being created at the moment, after all there’s a General Election next year so there will be a shortage of drivers right now. Whether things stay the same once interest rates go up is another matter entirely, and I think the Conservatives have figured out now that their core voters are not too impressed with ZIRP.

I’m in your camp there Harry, completely underwhelmed by the bigging up of the current blip.

kr79:
tesco dc near by paying 31k starting wage

So the same as Geopost were paying me in ten years ago to drive a truck from York to Smethwick and back 5 nights a week. This is supposed to be an improvement? :confused:

Conor:

kr79:

So the same as Geopost were paying me in ten years ago to drive a truck from York to Smethwick and back 5 nights a week. This is supposed to be an improvement? :confused:

Why do you keep on going on about how much you were earning ten years ago? It isn’t ten years ago now, it’s now. If I wanted to wave my willy I would tell you that I was earning more twenty years ago than you were earning ten years ago but I don’t, so why don’t you just change the record?

I run my own wagon though occasionally drive via an agency on a class 1 (mine are rigids & I like driving an artic)
For a Saturday night run I get £15/hr for the first 8 then £19.80 thereafter (Devon)

To be honest I’d do it for £20 and a sandwich just because I like driving the truck, its always spotlessly clean, fuelled up, strapped and they make me a coffee ready for when I arrive.

I used to do more but now I’m only doing once a month.

Harry Monk:

Conor:

kr79:

Why do you keep on going on about how much you were earning ten years ago? It isn’t ten years ago now, it’s now. If I wanted to wave my willy I would tell you that I was earning more twenty years ago than you were earning ten years ago but I don’t, so why don’t you just change the record?

Spot on Harry. This is also for 4 on 4 off.

splitshift:

Cotswoldcrunch:

kr79:

And no rushing about with Tescos or playing in the mud. TBH tipper firms are to blame, the London boys like Keltbray and Thames Materials have such a bad reputation (just google them and “lorries” to see what I mean. Tipper firms have treated drivers like crap with their push push push mentality, probably because they’re undercutting each other like an Olympic sport just to get the work. They then expect the driver to get the extra load or two per day to pay for their rate slashing. I found out in my last tipper job what our customer was paying our boss, subtract the tipping charges etc and it turned out the job was at a loss (the site foreman told us the rate per load). Obviously we weren’t allowed a steady day when to fly about like an idiot turned a loss to a break even/slim profit. We were on day hire so the customer was obviously going to turn the screw on us.

You were just got in with the wrong crowd it don’t have to be as black as you paint it BTW

don’t believe everything on “tinternet” ditch the “carrot cruncher” mentality “o arr tis them there London boys that carve the job up” we can’t afford to work cheap our ex’s much higher than country firms :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The thing is in London the traffic conditions dictate how many loads you do and no matter how mad you drive you will never make up enough time to get an extra load from the city out to rainham or tilbury.
You do see some absolute ■■■■■■■■■ driving for keltbray thames walsh etc but if truth be known they are parked up 15 minutes earlier than the blokes who drive steady but use more fuel and are the ones breaking springs. Infact walsh dock 50 quid for every broken spring however other than newbies who if they are any good move on within a few months all there drivers shouldnt be incharge of a skateboard let alone a lorry.

From all the owner drivers i talk to rates are rising but the same as any haulage operation there are plenty of busy fools about.
Look at keltbray they are a demolition firm they lorrys cover there own work so thrre not working for buttons.
Crossrail has caused a boom for construction in London but unless hs2 gets the go ahead theres not a lot in the pipeline.

Quite simple really. Cheap travel, free movement of labour = no shortage ever!