Police using unmarked HGVs (Operation Tramline)

Jeeze, I guess I consider myself spoiled over here then,
I sometimes drive with my coffee in hand resting on the window to “air cool” my coffee :wink:
RCMP never bat an eyelid as people drink coffee or a bottle of water etc all the time like everywhere else in the world!!!
I believe over here it is down to the discretion of the officer to determine if a person is not in control of their vehicle and I would imagine it’s the same in England so god only knows why they push so hard to bother HGV drivers with something as trivial as drinking a coffee!
Obviously is someone is watching a movie or sitting on their bunk or something clearly stupid then absolutely stop them and shaft them but I’m sure the police know more than anyone how hard lorry drivers work through the week and how much distance we cover etc so having a sip from a coffee cup should really not be such a big deal. Do they expect us to pull over every few miles to sip coffee or something!
You can get your ■■■ that the police do exactly what they penalize drivers for too.
What’s next, are they gonna ban the sale of coffee to HGV drivers or something :unamused:

Scraggy88:
I sometimes drive with my coffee in hand resting on the window to “air cool” my coffee :wink:
RCMP never bat an eyelid as people drink coffee or a bottle of water etc all the time like everywhere else in the world!!!
I believe over here it is down to the discretion of the officer to determine if a person is not in control of their vehicle and I would imagine it’s the same in England so god only knows why they push so hard to bother HGV drivers with something as trivial as drinking a coffee!
Obviously is someone is watching a movie or sitting on their bunk or something clearly stupid then absolutely stop them and shaft them but I’m sure the police know more than anyone how hard lorry drivers work through the week and how much distance we cover etc so having a sip from a coffee cup should really not be such a big deal. Do they expect us to pull over every few miles to sip coffee or something!
You can get your ■■■ that the police do exactly what they penalize drivers for too.
What’s next, are they gonna ban the sale of coffee to HGV drivers or something :unamused:

As I said mate, drinking a coffee …a heinous crime, all media led propaganda, the Old Bill love all that type of ■■■■ that the public believe and readily subscribe to,.as they can make a few quid out of it with public backing. :unamused:

robroy:

Scraggy88:

As I said mate, drinking a coffee …a heinous crime, all media led propaganda, the Old Bill love all that type of [zb] that the public believe and readily subscribe to,.as they can make a few quid out of it with public backing. :unamused:

The old saying of “never bite the hand that feeds you” comes to mind as we feed the whole world in the respective countries.
As unlikely as it may be, one day the people who keep the country moving may decide they have had enough of being penalized and segregated and harassed for simply doing our job and go on a nationwide strike for the simple reason of the aforementioned.
Like I said, as unlikely as it may be.
Drivers have to pay enough as it is just to do the job with CPC, medicals and sometimes keeping ADR and hiab and the likes so one would think not beings hassled off the police for trivial things is not really a big ask. Bad enough having to worry about the ministry checking for defects and what not.

But as you stated with your point, you are correct

As I have previously stated, it wasn’t just the coffee, the driver was on facetime whilst driving, he then picked up his coffee and then took both hands off the wheel to give a thumbs up to the camera.So slightly more than just having a coffee whilst driving.

Murrayminor:
As I have previously stated, it wasn’t just the coffee, the driver was on facetime whilst driving, he then picked up his coffee and then took both hands off the wheel to give a thumbs up to the camera.So slightly more than just having a coffee whilst driving.

That’s correct in this case, but drivers eating or drinking are always mentioned when these ‘purges’ are reported,.and mentioned in the same vein and category as watching movies, texting and other GENUINELY dangerous practices…

Btw, I’m eagerly awaiting their ‘purge’ on truck crime, or other less easy target/less lucrative policing, but I won’t hold my breath. :unamused:

It is most galling being stalked by police forces that regularly appear on reality TV shows with their windscreens cluttered by of all sorts of camera equipment during high speed pursuits whilst pushing buttons on displays & two way communications devices in their cars.
This often happens in the dark & they have their interior lights on too.

There are many recordings of the police with both hands off the steering wheel whilst driving in these shows.

Rightly ot wrong, I believe radios, CBs etc come under the communications act and aren’t classed in the same way as a mobile phone.

As I say whether that’s right or wrong is up to opinions but I’m sure they’re exempted.

toonsy:
Rightly ot wrong, I believe radios, CBs etc come under the communications act and aren’t classed in the same way as a mobile phone.

As I say whether that’s right or wrong is up to opinions but I’m sure they’re exempted.

It is correct that they can legally use 2 way radio with hands; I believe they changed that law (after years of prosecuting CB users) about the same time they made non-hands free mobile phone use illegal. Very convenient. Of course everything comes under the potential offence of “Not in proper control”.
My point is more about the situations they are happy to consider acceptable for themselves whilst holding others up to impeccable standards.

So what’s the official line for driving using only one hand?
Something I do more often than not
Should I turn myself in claiming the admission of three cases of picking my nose and one of scratching my arse to be taken into consideration to reduce my sentence.

It’s a pity they…

Didn’t stop this guy before almost he eliminated a car driver from the planet.

news.com.au/national/woman- … 27c8b8eb6f

The driver facing camera appears to be a waste of time and money if drivers ignore it. Ok, it’s handy for prosecution and defence solicitors but it didn’t stop this one and the others who’ve been filmed driving into innocent motorists and in some cases, killing them.

robroy:

toonsy:
Is it just the heinous crime of holding a coffee that warrants such publicity? I know he’s driving a 44ton instrument of death but… really? Yes by letter of law we should be 10 and 2 on the steering wheel at all times :unamused: but IS A DRINK SO BAD ? Why have drive through coffee places at services? Iys OK for car drivers?

Speaking generally, (and not including what the guy in question did)…but NO, in real world it ain’t. :bulb:
However if you adapt the Goebbles technique of banging home that it actually is, drip feeding by the media backed up with a few ‘shock statistics’, before you know it the said technique takes effect, and people not only believe it, and repeat it, they make phone calls to the law to make themselves feel good.
Don’t know about you, but I can (and do) drive fine using one hand (clue PAS) but can also drink a coffee without taking my eyes off road :open_mouth: (shock did he REALLY say that?? :open_mouth: )
How long would it take if same said technique was adapted saying…‘Tuning your radio can cause carnage’ …about a month I reckon, then the usual suspects off here would be condemning us as potential killers for listening to Ken Bruce. :unamused: :laughing:

A DAF 2800 had two bottle / flask holders next to the driver, they were there for a reason, to keep a driver hydrated during his working day, its not difficult to unscrew the lid off a bottle of pop or Evian water, or even to pour a mug of tea from a flask whilst moving, you tell me that takes more concentration then a running commentary from plod in his panda car whilst speeding,

Wheel Nut:
A DAF 2800 had two bottle / flask holders next to the driver, they were there for a reason, to keep a driver hydrated during his working day, its not difficult to unscrew the lid off a bottle of pop or Evian water, or even to pour a mug of tea from a flask whilst moving, you tell me that takes more concentration then a running commentary from plod in his panda car whilst speeding,

Any new car…

Review will make a point of how good or bad the cup holders are.

Drive-thru coffee shops that are literally right by the side of the motorway network tell me, it’s ok to drink what ever beverage you like when ever you like, if you drive a car.