Peak District.

windrush:
I carted a lot of spar from Slinter Minings Tearsall quarry between Bonsall and Winster to Cavendish Mill Chris, I think they still supply it nowadays as the quarry is on the opposite hillside to me and I can see trucks moving about? Bank quarry in Matlock is mentioned in that article, I live just under the quarry face of that! :wink:

Pete.

When I started work in 1954 they ran black Morris Commercials.I think they bought their motors from a place in Brownhills Iā€™ve a feeling they might have owned the dealer but correct me if Iā€™m wrong.In fact I used to see them when I was at school.I remember them at Matlock not far from the lovely Mrs Tintā€™is.I think there is a Morris Commercial on the show scene somewhere in their livery.

Tony

rastone:

windrush:
I carted a lot of spar from Slinter Minings Tearsall quarry between Bonsall and Winster to Cavendish Mill Chris, I think they still supply it nowadays as the quarry is on the opposite hillside to me and I can see trucks moving about? Bank quarry in Matlock is mentioned in that article, I live just under the quarry face of that! :wink:

Pete.

When I started work in 1954 they ran black Morris Commercials.I think they bought their motors from a place in Brownhills Iā€™ve a feeling they might have owned the dealer but correct me if Iā€™m wrong.In fact I used to see them when I was at school.I remember them at Matlock not far from the lovely Mrs Tintā€™is.I think there is a Morris Commercial on the show scene somewhere in their livery.

Tony

Long before my time Tony! Mostly Foden and then later on MAN when I arrived in the area, although I gather they ran a lot of Commers when the M1 was being built. They still run some Manā€™s but Scania are creeping into the fleet as well now. We had our fuel delivered from Tintiā€™s when we lived in ā€˜the Bathā€™ but they are long gone as well. They had an AEC Marshal bulker that Lenny Frost drove, coincidently he later drove for Slinter Mining for many years after a spell for Pitchmastic in Ball Eye quarry at Cromford.

Pete.

windrush:

rastone:

windrush:

Pete.

Tony

Long before my time Tony! Mostly Foden and then later on MAN when I arrived in the area, although I gather they ran a lot of Commers when the M1 was being built. They still run some Manā€™s but Scania are creeping into the fleet as well now. We had our fuel delivered from Tintiā€™s when we lived in ā€˜the Bathā€™ but they are long gone as well. They had an AEC Marshal bulker that Lenny Frost drove, coincidently he later drove for Slinter Mining for many years after a spell for Pitchmastic in Ball Eye quarry at Cromford.

Pete.

I sold Tintis a couple of Transit dropsiders for the coal job.The bodies were built more narrow than the wheels so they didnā€™t mark the house walls or more importantly the bodies.Do you remember the landslide Pete ?

Tony

I remember the second landslide Tony, there was one near Whittakers pop factory but that occoured earlier. I also remember the Transitā€™s as well, it was very narrow going up Holme Road towards Upperwood and there were gouge marks on some house walls where vehicles had caught them!

Pete.

we dellivered coal into tintis right till they finished with the bagcaol round, remember going with me dad and having to go through the station carpark to get to coal yard, didnā€™t they have a b&b down the road

longpod:
we dellivered coal into tintis right till they finished with the bagcaol round, remember going with me dad and having to go through the station carpark to get to coal yard, didnā€™t they have a b&b down the road

Yes they did and the" booking office "was just inside the door

Tony

longpod:

Some of the extended family (Gibbs) still live there I believe.

Pete.

Hi PETE Lenny frost still on for slinter got an 06 man,I think John Gibbs might be on refuse truck driving he moved upto bradwell running a pub after coal business but came back

phop:
Hi PETE Lenny frost still on for slinter got an 06 man,I think John Gibbs might be on refuse truck driving he moved upto bradwell running a pub after coal business but came back

Yes I dealt with John

Tony

phop:

Blimey, Iā€™m 67 and Len is older than me! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

phop:

Blimey, Iā€™m 67 and Len is older than me! :wink:

Pete.

I reckon anybody is older than you.Hope youā€™ve got your bus pass and donā€™t forget your fuel allowance

and if you go to somwhere where they have consessions for older folk you can get a quid off.

Tony

Another for Bonkey from the 60s in Manchester

MDB 796 P, the first 81 in the fleet

The only 81 sleeper cab in the fleet (BDB368T) and the last Scania to join the fleet before the Sed Atkiā€™s were added to the fleet (It only used by the local driver I kid you not!)

The Ford D series ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  engined wrecker at the far right of the picture that had been converted from the fleet motor.

Parked up at the Four Fishes, Northampton with the ā€˜Oppositionā€™ from Bollington, Macclesfield.

Draka 4.jpg

the next two, Chauffeur driven for a change - on the way to pick up a Scania 80

Some of the fleet at rest at weekend. The first Sed Atki to join the fleet was this 400 with a 290 roller and back to front gearbox.

Stanfield:

We could do with these men to resurface todayā€™s roads.

TIPIT:

Stanfield:

We could do with these men to resurface todayā€™s roads.

That old boy standing on the pavement watching them reminds me of one afternoon when we were surfacing in Shirebrook in the early 2000ā€™s. Johnson Surfacing from Chesterfield were handlaying a footpath on a service road, I was on about three hours daywork with them (lovely, money in the bank for the gaffer and very little fuel being used!) and there were about half a dozen other lads barrowing, raking and rolling plus myself with Gough Transport ltdā€™s Foden six wheeler doing nothing much at all. :wink: This old lad, a former miner I believe, comes out of his house and says to the foreman; ā€œDoes thee want a brew then sythee?ā€ and of course the answer was ā€œyes pleaseā€ (never refuse a brew, number one ruling in the tarmackers handbook!) and into the house he went. Ten minutes later out he comesā€¦with one mug of tea!! Foreman says to him; ā€œwhat about these lads then?ā€ and the snarled reply was ā€œIā€™m on a pension and not made of feffing money thee knowsā€! and went back indoors with the tea and that was the last we saw of him! :laughing: Had some great times with some of those gangs, could write a book on it really.

Pete.

Iā€™m not sure if this article has been posted before.
Appologies if it has!..

The first 401 to join the fleet, its driver Ray Pomfret posing here! My steed was its sister SNC288X.

PNA499R also featured here at the Super Sausage Towcester.

Draka 5.jpg

The Glossop factory where it all started. It has been expanded over the years, the only instant recognisable feature is the chimney.

Draka 6.jpg

HuE1130-d1.jpg

JLC00335-07.jpg