Pay as you go driving!

lancpudn:

Carryfast:
Now they are saying that they intend to end the premise of holding a driving licence and the freedom to drive as and when and where we wish by labelling over 60’s as ‘elderly drivers’ who should have those freedoms curtailed as a ‘cost to society’.
That means the end of any premise on being able to drive a car, let alone a truck driving career, long before retirement age and before the age when airline pilots are expected to still be able to fly.

Just been reading about that, WTF! I know quite a few mates over 60 that are still driving HGV’s, does this mean the UK will have an more shortage of HGV drivers? pulse.express.co.uk/life-style/ … -limits-uk

Too old to drive at 60 but too young to retire at 65.
While BA is calling for restrictions on over 60’s airline pilots to be lifted after raising their retirement age from 55 to 60.
‘Elderly’ indeed.
It’s just a Trojan Horse to hide the real agenda.
No surprise they are also calling for EV’s to be banned along with all other types of private transport which makes the driving licence question moot.

lancpudn:

Carryfast:
Now they are saying that they intend to end the premise of holding a driving licence and the freedom to drive as and when and where we wish by labelling over 60’s as ‘elderly drivers’ who should have those freedoms curtailed as a ‘cost to society’.
That means the end of any premise on being able to drive a car, let alone a truck driving career, long before retirement age and before the age when airline pilots are expected to still be able to fly.

Just been reading about that, WTF! I know quite a few mates over 60 that are still driving HGV’s, does this mean the UK will have an more shortage of HGV drivers? pulse.express.co.uk/life-style/ … -limits-uk

I trust you read all of it?
“scheme would be introduced for drivers with severe medical conditions such as dementia, epilepsy, or Parkinson’s disease.”
Shouldnt these be banned from driving altogether? These dont sound like fit, alert, and healthy part time goods drivers.
It could be that we wouldnt want one of these patients taking off for a Lands End to John O`Groats trip, so might have to ban them totally. Giving them limited rights might be a solution, and a benefit rather than otherwise.

It could be good or bad. A lot will depend on the exact way it is tried.

Franglais:
“scheme would be introduced for drivers with severe medical conditions such as dementia, epilepsy, or Parkinson’s disease.”
Shouldnt these be banned from driving altogether? These dont sound like fit, alert, and healthy part time goods drivers.
It could be that we wouldnt want one of these patients taking off for a Lands End to John O`Groats trip, so might have to ban them totally. Giving them limited rights might be a solution, and a benefit rather than otherwise.

The DVLA already has powers to remove the entitlement of anyone on health grounds with 115 notifiable conditions already existing in that regard.
There is no age threshold placed on the requirement for reporting any of those conditions.
It clearly states and infers the loss of existing licence entitlement for ‘all’ over the age of 60 with that age threshold being the relevant criterea.
‘Elderly’ drivers at age 60 indeed.

As an almost 75 year old I have read this thread nervously.I still drive down to the Costa Blanca and back several times a year.It’s only covid that has,so far,prevented me from visiting my dad’s former pow camp(near Lambinowice,Poland)and onwards to Spain to show my wife the Alps and Italy en route.I’ll keep taking the pills.

Gidders:
As an almost 75 year old I have read this thread nervously.I still drive down to the Costa Blanca and back several times a year.It’s only covid that has,so far,prevented me from visiting my dad’s former pow camp(near Lambinowice,Poland)and onwards to Spain to show my wife the Alps and Italy en route.I’ll keep taking the pills.

^ That’s the definition of freedom and that’s exactly the type of freedom that ‘they’ detest and want to take away from us, among others.
The plan to impose a 60 years age threshold on driving licence entitlement is clear within the article.
In addition to numerous other similar ‘ideas’ which are all about removing the premise on the freedom to travel as and where and how we wish using private transport options.
Including banning EV’s, having now predictably moved the goalposts regarding the definition of ‘emissions’, to also bring EV’s into their net.
Now awaits Franglais’ reply.

Franglais:

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

My bad :confused: That was the wrong link.

Carryfast:

Thank you. :smiley:

Carryfast:
The plan to impose a 60 years age threshold on driving licence entitlement is clear within the article.

Where? It isn`t clear to me.

There is a clear plan to restrict driving by those with medical problems. There is already legislation covering this of course. Many conditions preclude holding a licence, and many of those conditions are more common in older people. Why else do we have more frequent HGV medicals as we get older.
Seems reasonable to me. Pass a medical, and carry on with no restrictions.
Currently those with problems are either free to do everything, driving-wise, or will be totally banned. This looks like it could allowing those who would otherwise be banned to carry on locally.

Those with no problems carry on unrestricted.
Those with severe problems cannot drive at all.
Those with milder problems get to drive local only.

If a medic currently thinks someone is incapable of driving UK to Spain via Poland, he should take away their licence. This means they couldn`t even go to the local shops. Sledgehammer/nut on current laws?

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Thank you. :smiley:

Carryfast:

Where? It isn`t clear to me.

There is a clear plan to restrict driving by those with medical problems. There is already legislation covering this of course. Many conditions preclude holding a licence, and many of those conditions are more common in older people. Why else do we have more frequent HGV medicals as we get older.
Seems reasonable to me. Pass a medical, and carry on with no restrictions.
Currently those with problems are either free to do everything, driving-wise, or will be totally banned. This looks like it could allowing those who would otherwise be banned to carry on locally.

Those with no problems carry on unrestricted.
Those with severe problems cannot drive at all.
Those with milder problems get to drive local only.

If a medic currently thinks someone is incapable of driving UK to Spain via Poland, he should take away their licence. This means they couldn`t even go to the local shops. Sledgehammer/nut on current laws?

They are clearly only referring to so called ‘elderly drivers’ defined as over 60 as shown by the age reference point of the ‘consultation’ and that’s the criterea which they are equally clearly basing the proposed restrictions on.
It’s first and foremost an age based plan not an illness based one.

‘Someone’ means ‘anyone’ which means any age so what has age got to do with it.
While you’re either fit enough to drive or you’re not whether you’re 30 or 70 + or going to the shops or anywhere else.
What next drunk driving is ok so long as under 60 or only driving to/from the local pub.

Their agenda is clear and it’s the same agenda that’s looking for excuses why under 25’s should also be taken off the road.
It’s a Trojan Horse to ban all private transport use.
As shown by the other campaigns to ban EV’s on spurious ‘emissions’ grounds.Because they want everyone to use public transport and they obviously want to end the premise on private transport use, for long distance travel, as a priority in that aim and the obvious tactic is to introduce it gradually and on an age based divide and rule basis.
All made to look like a ‘medical’ issue when it’s anything but.
There’s nothing wrong with the status quo and if they really wanted to introduce such a supposed ‘tweak’ to the system then it obviously has nothing to do with any age threshold being applied and it could be done within the existing medically restricted, short term renewal, licence system.
But it obviously has more implications, regarding removal of freedoms to drive, such as in the case of insulin dependent diabetics, than providing more freedom.
As it stands there are plenty of people driving on short term renewal/revision, medically restricted licences and at best this plan would take away their existing freedoms to drive as and where and when they wish.
But that obviously isn’t what it’s about anyway.

It’s now clear that, just as I said, they are planning an age based restriction on the freedom to drive in which ‘elderly’ is defined as over 60.
Not the health issues based narrative that Franglais is trying to sell us.

express.co.uk/life-style/car … al-plan-uk