PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

The Green MAN 8 wheel tipper looks like one of Richards , Pentry Broughton , nr Wrexam cheers Barry

Spencers transport were based at Porthill, S-O-T. just off of the A500 D road.

Pete.

Hi Dean & all

The MM Maggie is an Southampton Road Transport one on contract.
MM were very large in Southampton but a lot smaller now

Cheers

Rich

DEANB:
[“gingerfold”]"windrush"Maurice Hill are still trading, they used to be at Glapwell but are possibly near Huthwaite now? I believe he started at Ballidon quarry with a wagon many years ago?

Pete.

Yes Maurice Hill are still in business, in spite of running Mercedes, :frowning: , long established traditional haulier, all flat trailer work. They did have a satellite depot near Burton at one time.

“IN SPITE OF RUNNING MERCEDES” :laughing: :laughing: Thats a cracker Graham ! Out of intrest how much did all those breakdowns cost
in the end ■■? :unamused:

Strangely we have only been invoiced for the Nox sensor job, £1200, all the other problems were contested by us and we haven’t heard anything more. It still hasn’t changed my opinion about Mercedes though.

Think it says Duncan Hill on the Scania.

I remember Duncan Hills from Maryport,used to see them in Albright and Wilsons Whitehaven int 70s.Dennis will maybe know them as well.

Chris Webb:

I remember Duncan Hills from Maryport,used to see them in Albright and Wilsons Whitehaven int 70s.Dennis will maybe know them as well.

Chris
I remember Duncan Hills working out of Albright and Wilson Marchon works Whitehaven also as was Spillers Maryport. My first load out of Marchon works was when I was working for Williames Transport Group Aldergrove about 1971. I changed jobs and worked for MAT transport MIFT Trafford Park and S&Rs regularly pulled out of Marchon. The best memory of Albright and Wilsons was the Canteen. Many a time I had Steak and Chips Lobster or chose a meal of the ala carte menu.
Photo of Albright and Wilsons driver with his life saving clobber on loading sulphur dioxide. Albright and Wilson had a plant at Widnes St Annes plant.
KEV

kevmorrow:

Chris Webb:

Chris
I remember Duncan Hills working out of Albright and Wilson Marchon works Whitehaven also as was Spillers Maryport. My first load out of Marchon works was when I was working for Williames Transport Group Aldergrove about 1971. I changed jobs and worked for MAT transport MIFT Trafford Park and S&Rs regularly pulled out of Marchon. The best memory of Albright and Wilsons was the Canteen. Many a time I had Steak and Chips Lobster or chose a meal of the ala carte menu.
Photo of Albright and Wilsons driver with his life saving clobber on loading sulphur dioxide. Albright and Wilson had a plant at Widnes St Annes plant.
KEV

I used to take Toluene and Xylene in there from all over the UK int 60s and 70s Kev,and I remember that canteen and how good it was.I also remember that hill running up the plant from the town and how some tankers struggled to get up when it was wet and the product running to the back taking traction off the drive.We were ok at A E Evans as we had 6 compartments which was a legal requirement for pet spirits in those days.I also used to go into A and W Widnes plant on West Bank Dock Estate with Toluene and Benzene - just up the road was Granox animal by-products plant,I can still smell it. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Chris Webb:

kevmorrow:

Chris Webb:

Chris
KEV

I used to take Toluene and Xylene in there from all over the UK int 60s and 70s Kev,and I remember that canteen and how good it was.I also remember that hill running up the plant from the town and how some tankers struggled to get up when it was wet and the product running to the back taking traction off the drive.We were ok at A E Evans as we had 6 compartments which was a legal requirement for pet spirits in those days.I also used to go into A and W Widnes plant on West Bank Dock Estate with Toluene and Benzene - just up the road was Granox animal by-products plant,I can still smell it. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Hi Chris. I remember the hill very well. My first load out of Marchon for Ireland was a nightmare as I had to reverse in a dodgy loading bay with an AEC Mandata 40 footer with no power assisted steering. The 5 minute reversing job ended up taking what felt hours.
Good old days
KEV

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Montague Meyer Maggie. Dont think we have had one on before anyone know where they were from ■■?

Montague L Meyer is/was a large timber merchant and importer. I’m sure there were a number of depots, but Widnes sticks in my mind as one

Thanks for the info Chris. :smiley:

Lawrence Dunbar:
M ,M Ltd Had timber out of Hull, I used to get back loads off them in the 80s, Not the best paid job, But they paid as soon as they recieved the my invioce for the loads done, So it was money in the bank, The good old days, Regards Larry.

Thank for the input Lawrence. :wink:

B.Wadsworth:
The Green MAN 8 wheel tipper looks like one of Richards , Pentry Broughton , nr Wrexam cheers Barry

Thanks for the posible name Barry. :wink:

windrush:
Spencers transport were based at Porthill, S-O-T. just off of the A500 D road.

Pete.

Cheers Pete ! :wink:

tribsa:
Hi Dean & all

The MM Maggie is an Southampton Road Transport one on contract.
MM were very large in Southampton but a lot smaller now

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Rich,nice to hear they are still going chap. :smiley:

gingerfold:
“IN SPITE OF RUNNING MERCEDES” :laughing: :laughing: Thats a cracker Graham ! Out of intrest how much did all those breakdowns cost
in the end ■■? :unamused:

Strangely we have only been invoiced for the Nox sensor job, £1200, all the other problems were contested by us and we haven’t heard anything more. It still hasn’t changed my opinion about Mercedes though.

Sounds like they have finally realised that you are a large company. I think you said you had got rid of the Mercs that were
among the trucks you operate. :wink:

kevmorrow:

Chris Webb:

kevmorrow:

Chris Webb:

Chris
KEV

Hi Chris. I remember the hill very well. My first load out of Marchon for Ireland was a nightmare as I had to reverse in a dodgy loading bay with an AEC Mandata 40 footer with no power assisted steering. The 5 minute reversing job ended up taking what felt hours.
Good old days
KEV

Kev.
Before I got my Marathon I were always looking anxiously int mirror for Sadlers Atki Borderers on way to Marchon,the ■■■■■■■ 220 and Fuller they ran were better combination than an AV760 Mandator with 6-speed box.They used to take the same products in from North Tees and Velva Liquids. :laughing:

kevmorrow:

Chris Webb:

kevmorrow:

Chris Webb:

Chris
KEV

Good old days
KEV

Thanks for all the comments Chris and Kev,cracking pic of the Atkinson. I posted an article about Albright & Wilson back
on page 117. :wink:

You both mentioned Marchon at Whitehaven so i reckon this article may intrest you two from 1963 ! :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

Thanks for the Marchon info Dean.A place I remember so well over the years. :slight_smile:
One of their AEC MK3 Mammoth Majors.Not my photo.

marchon4.jpg

Some oldies.

Odds and sods.

Click on pages once/twice to read.

Penrhyn Quarry,North Wales 1965.

Liveries 1979.

Like Leyland, Bedford sold thousands of trucks all over the world. 1961.

Archives.

R.W.Simpson Volvo.

P3290060p.JPG

TNT Volvo.

P3290096p.JPG

Sainsbury’s DAF.

P3300015.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■?

P3310001p.JPG

HSF Logistics DAF.

P3310022p.JPG

One Stop Volvo.

P5270033p.JPG

BCW International Magnum from Scotland.

P5300098p.JPG

Anyone know anything about the Stanford Mercedes ■■

P7080022p.JPG

Mona Precast Scania from Anglesey.

P8100095p.JPG

T & R Phillips Scania.

P8150026p.JPG

Anyone recognise the ERF bulker ■■?

Looks like one of H J Cutlers from Poole.

H.Young Marathon. Did they have a depot in Southampton from memory ■■

Christopher Hill Bison heading back to there Poole mill. Seeing them kids in the cab brings back some memories.
I reckon everyone on here spent time tramping about with there dad,uncle or grandad as a kid !

Anyone recognise the ERF,looks like Richard ■■? on the sheet.

Anyone recognise the Marathon,looks like Crane■■?

Allwood Berliet. Looks like running light with the trailer on single wheels.

Plessey Buffalo.Not sure where they were from ■■

Express Parcel Services ERF. Looks like Isle of Man Chris Webb ■■

Johnson Wild Fiat. Dont think we have had one of these on before,anyone know anything ■■

Hi Dean.
Yes,UK - IOM on front of unit but not a IOM reg plate.I know nowt about that company so I’ll ask around.Unit looks very like ex TNT ?

kevmorrow:
My first load out of Marchon for Ireland was a nightmare as I had to reverse in a dodgy loading bay with an AEC Mandata 40 footer with no power assisted steering. The 5 minute reversing job ended up taking what felt hours.
Good old days
KEV

The notorious end bay, where you loaded washing powder, no.4 I think it was, a blindside on an angle which was loaded on the side, so your trailer had about 3’’ to spare each side otherwise you scraped into the full length of the bay. :smiley:
I also done it in a non power steering Atki Borderer, ■■■■ nightmare it was.

robroy:

kevmorrow:
My first load out of Marchon for Ireland was a nightmare as I had to reverse in a dodgy loading bay with an AEC Mandata 40 footer with no power assisted steering. The 5 minute reversing job ended up taking what felt hours.
Good old days
KEV

The notorious end bay, where you loaded washing powder, no.4 I think it was, a blindside on an angle which was loaded on the side, so your trailer had about 3’’ to spare each side otherwise you scraped into the full length of the bay. :smiley:
I also done it in a non power steering Atki Borderer, [zb] nightmare it was.

I backed into that No4 bay OK with my D1000 4 wheeler, but I had power steering of course! :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Dean , H Young’s were in Tower lane Eastleigh , now a big Biffa waste transfer depot
They still work around Burton and Derby but only a shadow of former self

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk