Overnight digs.

My Dad, Dennis Walling was on the night trunk for McKelvie from Manchester to Paisley in the late 50s to mid-60s. As a young boy I had the privilege of riding with him to Scotland on my school holidays.
We used to stay in digs near to the McKelvie yard at Clark St. Paisley. Has anyone have any information about these digs. GBW.

GBW:
My Dad, Dennis Walling was on the night trunk for McKelvie from Manchester to Paisley in the late 50s to mid-60s. As a young boy I had the privilege of riding with him to Scotland on my school holidays.
We used to stay in digs near to the McKelvie yard at Clark St. Paisley. Has anyone have any information about these digs. GBW.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
there were a couple of wee b& b places around greenock road though living locally i obviously never used them.
id imagine they were driver friendly.
also there was a pub called the wee barrel about 10 mins walk that had basic accommodation upstairs.

mostly truckies parked up in the lorry park/railway yard and used the facilities of the bungalow bar/fleshpit, where it would have been normal not to have woken up in your cab the next morning. :wink:

The Whitehouse Transport Cafe at Sticklepath Oakehampton, I stayed there in 1962/3 Era, It was one of the good ones, Allways busy, Regards Larry.

In my younger days delivering to one of the London docks,I regularly used to stop at Silvertown motel which I found ok and at the Wicket Gate(I think) where I recall the owner being a bit camp(?) Did he used to be chef/cook at the containerbase in Barking too?

One that stays in my memory for some reason ? Stoke way – it was something like Durex -anybody ■■ Toshboy

toshboy:
One that stays in my memory for some reason ? Stoke way – it was something like Durex -anybody ■■ Toshboy

toshboy:

toshboy:
One that stays in my memory for some reason ? Stoke way – it was something like Durex -anybody ■■ Toshboy[/quote

That would be the Durose on A34 in Newcastle under Lyme Tosh.I never went in it but heard a lot of reports about it,not all complimentary either. :smiley:

Used Durose many times both when I was on the Octopus and later on in the early days of Bewick Transport but got say that the grub wasn’t always the best but the beds and washing facilities on the upper floor couldn’t be faulted. Just my opinion and stated as I found it ! Cheers Bewick.

The Wicket gate was run by a bloke called Tom Tom no idea why. He was definitely of the other persuasion as they say,but clean digs and good grub as I remember.

lets not forget the moss/todhills cafe southbound on the A74 border.
famous for using the same plates and cutlery since its conception till they eventually knocked it down.
the coal fire was always lit,the menu never varied,usually you had killed 40 minutes out of your 45 before you saw your scran getting dumped onto the counter.
the lavvy always had a head height cistern with a big chain for a handle,and the “accommodation” at the rear consisted of an army barracks type hut with a spatter of beds and a table.
my 1 and only visit was when shap was closed by snow and the trucks got parked up for a couple of days.
even being a cab rat,it was too cold to kip outside obviously the truck having no heater added to the decision to take a bunk inside,so i spent a miserable night there surrounded by snores and ■■■■■,with at one point in the middle of the night waking up to see a massive rat mooching about on the table…happy days.

and
can anyone remember the one on the A9 blackford on the right hand side heading north?
always a coal fire,a pint of tea,and the wifie took the hump if you didnt finish your plate which was like a bin lid piled high with excellent grub.?

Normans at Brotherton, A very popular cafe, Nothing flash about the place but the grub was good,And beds were clean, Although the toilets & the showers facilities were poor, There was no shower heads, It just a bit of copper pipe clipped with a hammer, Of course the original shower bits were removed by :question: :question: :question: :question: Several times so hence the makeshift ones, But it was a port in a storm as it was often called by some drivers, It was allways busy in those long gone days, Regards Larry.

Normans at Brotherton, A very popular cafe, Nothing flash about the place but the grub was good,And beds were clean, Although the toilets & the showers facilities were poor, There was no shower heads, It just a bit of copper pipe clipped with a hammer, Of course the original shower bits were removed by :question: :question: :question: :question: Several times so hence the makeshift ones, But it was a port in a storm as it was often called by some drivers, It was allways busy in those long gone days, Regards Larry.

Toneys is Mansell Street London, Top notch food, Steaks to order, Their beds were clean but the place was a bit of a dump, But the food was spot on and the tea was very good , Not like is was stewed etc, It was allways busy, I stayed there several times in the late 50s/60S When parked on Tower Hill waiting for a back load, I would do it all again if I could, Sadley that aint about to happen as so much has changed in the haulage game I prefered those good old working days, But thats life, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

Norman’s at Brotherton was open 24 hrs too.

Red Beck at Crofton is a good cafe too,also open 24 hrs.(Current Chinese Virus rules apply at the moment)

Hi not sure if I have the name correct when in Liverpool stayed at the Inglewood Hotel when you parked up on waste ground kids would look after your truck (lorry) for 2/6 .

bill wayne:
Hi not sure if I have the name correct when in Liverpool stayed at the Inglewood Hotel when you parked up on waste ground kids would look after your truck (lorry) for 2/6 .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

on the basis that the old ones are the best,then…if you tried to bypass the half crown protection charge by saying you had a doberman in the cab,the reply would always have been.,

thats fine,but is it any good at putting out fires? :slight_smile:

i parked up near liverpool docks once with a guy who didnt pay the scallys who had handballed almost 20 ton of bricks off the side of the trailer by the time we came back from the pub… :open_mouth:

dieseldog999:

bill wayne:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

on the basis that the old ones are the best,then…if you tried to bypass the half crown protection charge by saying you had a doberman in the cab,the reply would always have been.,

thats fine,but is it any good at putting out fires? :slight_smile:

i parked up near liverpool docks once with a guy who didnt pay the scallys who had handballed almost 20 ton of bricks off the side of the trailer by the time we came back from the pub… :open_mouth:

And my mate who told the little chuffs to bugger off found all the sacks of sugar on his sheeted trailer had been slashed resulting in a wide load. :smiley:

Some of these may ring a bell ?

1989 Click on pages twice.

Try The Wharf at Newark, & The Olympia at Derby, I did, but only once.
Happy Days. pushrod 47

The Mayfield at Garstang, Very cosy digs Good Nosh, But of course being on this A 6 It was a bit noisey at night with The Night Trunkers calling in for a Brew, I used to stay there a lot when running up from the south up to Rutherglen, Happey long gone Virus Free times If im allowed to say this, Well Ive said it anyway, So take care & stay safe all the people reading this post,Regards Larry.