Our friends from the east

They are the type I refer to.

Just for balance, I’m British. I drive a rhd truck. In Britain. I can’t reverse for toffee :grimacing: :smiling_imp:

Tgtrucker:
Isn’t it about time we just accepted we are all drivers facing the same problems regardless of which country we originated from, and regardless of where we are on the knowledge and experience journey through life and got on with helping each other and showing some of the camaraderie that now seems to be so sadly missing.

^^^^^^^^ This.

The-Snowman:

BradCarTransporter:
It took me 4 shunts. I was ashamed.

Only 4? Pffft. Amateur. Ive been in double figures with shunts before. Now THATS embarrassing! :laughing: :blush:

Only if someone saw you…

the nodding donkey:

The-Snowman:

BradCarTransporter:
It took me 4 shunts. I was ashamed.

Only 4? Pffft. Amateur. Ive been in double figures with shunts before. Now THATS embarrassing! :laughing: :blush:

Only if someone saw you…

Oh plenty of people saw it believe me!
When I went in to the RDC after I (eventually) got it on the bay, one of the workers handed me his glasses and said “here, it looks like you need these more than me” :laughing:

Way back when I was a TM and also ran the warehouse at our factory in Birmingham, we had a pretty tricky shutter to reverse an artic into the warehouse.

The bay was on the right and there was a brick wall opposite and also in front when you stopped. The trick was to turn down the road just past the bay until the unit was at right angles, then keep it like that as you reversed until the trailer was inside. The LHD drivers had it easy as they would reverse all the way down and just bend it in - British drivers not only messed it up but would refuse help from the office git (me). At least one gave up and buggered off.

There are good and bad drivers everywhere.

You have to be over 50, but does anybody remember the notorious Bay 1 at Albright and Wilson Marchon factory at Whitehaven.
It was a blind side on an angle with an inch or so to spare either side on the raised floor. (In other words once in the bay the floor was level with the trailer floor for side loading)
The good thing was it was a flat trailer in those days, the bad news in my case, on the front of the trailer was an old Atkinson with no power steering. :smiling_imp:

Perhaps the guy was having a bad day,most of us have had them,most have had the ■■■■ take for it.
Had a few bad days in the 48 years I had on the road,a few times doing a manouver that I should have done in one blindfolded,but did`nt it took more attempts than I would admit to.
Perhaps the guy was only used to doing a straight swap in yards with lots of space,not used to having to reverse on to a dock etc etc
The original posting is making the point that the guy was Eastern European,NOT JUST European as most know it let say Germany France Italy etc

If you think our friends from the east are bad drivers come and watch me reverse onto bay 76 at Sainsbry’s, Dartford.
39 years experience and it still took 7 shunts last week, then 4 shunts later in week. :blush: :blush: :blush:
Don’t have a problem with identical bays 75 & 77 but 76 is a ■■■■ up every time.

I would suggest the standard of driving/work ethic is a lot worse amongst ex squaddies than EE drivers.

Only going on what I have witnessed over the last 20 or so years.

A36 Wilton railway bridge 1, Ewals Cargo 0.

Yesterday afternoon - the reason I mention this is because the guy stopped down the road and was inspecting the damage and he was wearing…flipflops.

Making The Awkward Phone Call and taking the Awkward Photos.

The trailer wasn’t flatpacked but he’d been to far over to the left so it rogered the curtain, roof sheet, top side rail, rear upright and both barn doors.

And before anybody says anything, I do appreciate he could have been born and raised in, say, Hereford.

Rob : There is also at least one member on here who is a Brit, who drives an EE regd truck, I bet he gets even more [zb] than I did.

Not me mate, i am perfect at every reverse…have to be…cos theyre all expecting me to make a mistake…they look at the reg plate…then stand there looking…come to the passenger door…then realise im a RHD but with BG plates..then say.. Thats a lot better than your mate over there..till i speak, and tell him..Thats not my mate, ive never seen him before …to which he replies : Well, at least your English is good :smiley:
My annoyance is when a fellow EE comes over when im parked, and asks in bulgarian, if we have any jobs going.. At the end of the day, i agree we can make mistakes, i do sometimes and not afraid to admit it, but i dont get the abuse abroad, as much as the uk..i am snubbed, i am not flashed in..but i am treated a lot better by the EE, than some of my GB compatriots..only when im in the truck…when i get out i get the obligatory Alright mate ha ha

Its not just EE drivers that can’t reverse, muggins here overcooked a easy reverse into one of the bays at Gloucester! How dumb does have to be to do that? Me, evidently enough :laughing:

I work with two Romanians and have worked with several before over the years, if you want to see some skilled and accurate maneuvering our two could show the majority how to put a lorry in a confined space.
Other than that those Romanians to a man have been respectful both to the company and fellow workers (even if the others don’t deserve it), reliable take care of the equipment and hard working, what more could an employer ask?

Darkside:
I would suggest the standard of driving/work ethic is a lot worse amongst ex squaddies than EE drivers.

I was trained as an army driver, can’t say I can argue with you there. Industry is different to what we were trained for. However we still had to drive on the roads a lot of time. Much better trained for combat driving (off road) than for road, that’s why we are usually ■■■■ on the roads at first.

Darkside:

This

I made a complete ■■■■ up of a reverse today. I’m not EE.

Darkside:

Sirrah ! I demand that you withdraw that remark immediately.
I took the Queen’s Shilling,but I still top our company’s leaderboard :wink:

KPI Score A 0.000
Position in location 1 of 18
Position in company 1 of 676

robroy:
Awful aint it? :unamused: and it’s ALL of them as you say.
Especially as by the same token, ALL Brit drivers are equally efficient experts in a truck, …as we all see everyday. :bulb:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Darkside:

I love the generalisation comments, and the leanings towards stereotypes on this forum.

I’m shaven headed and ALL shaven headed guys are ■■■ Gods…fact. :sunglasses: