Only 28% of voters want no deal

Franglais:
Which “high wage, low cost of living, protecionist” economies are are Volvo Jay and Rjan discussing here, please?

I do not quite agree with that particular sentence.

There are only a handful of economies larger than Britain’s in the world. The US is scarcely high wage or protectionist - a great many of its workers are worse off than ourselves, and live and work under poorer terms. India is not high wage or protectionist. China is protectionist but is not high wage (although it’s growing more rapidly than most others). Germany and France are both in the EU, and obviously are only protectionist to a similar degree as we could be if we chose domestically.

I’d also note that what’s described desirably as “high wage” probably means something closer to “economically developed with low inequality”.

What I do agree with is that membership of the EU is increasing the race to the bottom (not just for ourselves but also France and Germany too) and businesses are frit of the idea that we might call time on this.

Rjan:
Britain was last a high-wage economy in the 1970s, and since then had simply been cannibalising more and more sectors, and selling off more and more public wealth or being careful only to attack the next generation to disguise the systemic consequences and avoid uproar.

Firstly there’s every reason to conflate our EEC/EU member status with that.Including the ease of moving capital and jobs around and the sell off of public owned utilities,which it provided/s.

While ironically it started mainly with the transfer of Brit wealth and manufacturing sector jobs to the higher wage German economy mainly to meet geopolitical aims.With the win win for the CBI that it decreased the demand for labour and increased the labour supply at home.That part of the agenda still remaining to an extent.

As for your divisive age issues that process hit approaching retirement WW2 generation workers just as much as it hit their sons and daughters.With if anything many of the young generations being the ones who backed Thatcher.

Until here we are with a load of young generation turkeys voting for Christmas in the form of support for the EU.Who want to put our energy supply and with it payment regime in the hands of foreign conglomerates and who don’t ever want to go back to the ‘dark days’ of 1972. :unamused:

Carryfast:

Rjan:
Britain was last a high-wage economy in the 1970s, and since then had simply been cannibalising more and more sectors, and selling off more and more public wealth or being careful only to attack the next generation to disguise the systemic consequences and avoid uproar.

Firstly there’s every reason to conflate our EEC/EU member status with that.Including the ease of moving capital and jobs around and the sell off of public owned utilities,which it provided/s.

I agree, although it must be remembered that no EU diktat requires Britain to keep electing Tory governments which both intend to use aspects of EU membership as a tool to attack workers, and which also intend to use their influence at the table to shape the EU into a form that is amenable to these attacks.

Even under the Blair government, the effect for example of free movement would have been greatly moderated if there had been stronger constraints in place to reinforce wages and prevent casual and short-term working which encourages carpetbagging and skills-creaming.

All problems ultimately still pass through the nexus that the British electorate keep installing right wing governments.

A lot of people, yourself included, seem to want to find a narrative in which you have been voting for and supporting the correct right-wing politics all along, and the only problem has been foreign institutions or malign left-wing influence.

On immigration specifically, it has always skyrocketed under the Tories in every period of post-war government (with the exception of Heath)

And yet the Tories’ rhetoric against it is always the strongest, and many people who want an end to EU membership because of free movement feel that the Tories are the party of tight borders and Labour the party of open borders.

Even considering Blair’s time in office, which many use as the benchmark of Labour’s attitude to immigration, the Tories under Cameron and May have still exceeded Blair’s record handsomely - including on the non-EU component on which they have full control of immigration policy.

It is the responsibility of the electorate to respond to that gap between rhetoric and reality, and to understand that the reason the Tories employ this gap is because it can be used to win elections that then allow them to attack wages.

While ironically it started mainly with the transfer of Brit wealth and manufacturing sector jobs to the higher wage German economy mainly to meet geopolitical aims.With the win win for the CBI that it decreased the demand for labour and increased the labour supply at home.That part of the agenda still remaining to an extent.

As for your divisive age issues that process hit approaching retirement WW2 generation workers just as much as it hit their sons and daughters.With if anything many of the young generations being the ones who backed Thatcher.

I agree in terms of who was young and old in 1979. But those who were young in 1979 are getting on a bit now, and there has been a definite pattern amongst organised labour and the wider populace over the past 40 years to protect grandfather rights whilst allowing the next intake to be offered inferior terms.

However, I was not primarily referring to this. I was referring to the behaviour of governments in attacking only the next generation by salami slicing. For example, when they introduced student loans in 1990, they did not retrospectively charge old students, they only charged subsequent students. When they introduced AST tenancies, they did not immediately abolish existing secure tenancies. When most pension schemes have been closed, they have only been closed to new members. When agencies and casualisation enlarged from the early 90s, they did not transfer the entire workforce to casual contracts, but simply stopped replacing the permanent workforce (or did so on inferior terms). And so on.

Until here we are with a load of young generation turkeys voting for Christmas in the form of support for the EU.Who want to put our energy supply and with it payment regime in the hands of foreign conglomerates and who don’t ever want to go back to the ‘dark days’ of 1972. :unamused:

I think the young generation is predominantly pro-EU because for many on the right who have been driving Brexit for their own reasons, leaving the EU is predominantly about an older generation’s xenophobia and attacks on citizens rights, and that’s what you’re seeing the reaction against.

If Brexiteers were talking sensibly about better career prospects for students and suchlike, and not about throwing their friends who are already here out of the country, then they’d probably be more ready to listen.

Of course, for the likes of Farage and Boris, the idea of trade being restricted to the sort which benefits workers, and less money for bosses, is anathema to their agenda.

Rjan:

OVLOV JAY:

Rjan:
Moreover, if the conditions under which many variations are supplied, require us (at least in the absence of a unified EU democratic state) all to work long hours for low wages and on insecure terms and give the bosses free reign (and subsidise what is predominantly their excess consumption on cars, not that of workers), then I think most people would say that is not a suitable trade off. Or at least, to reject the arrangement is within the range of reasonable opinions that a worker could hold.

One could argue that’s been the status quo as members of the EU, since the expansion into the east 15 years ago anyway. We were quite insulted, and ran a high wage economy up to that point. The expansion of the EU has lead us into this low wage race to the bottom economics. Look at the economies above us in the world. All are high wage, low cost of living protectionist economies. That’s why big business are scared that leaving the EU will scupper their endless supply of cheap labour, leaving us a low wage hogh cost of living economy

I agree with you, although I wouldn’t overstate the case about us being a “high-wage economy” up to 2003.

Employment agencies, with their tax fiddles and casual contracts, started becoming common certainly in the 90s. Housing prices started to inflate from the mid 90s too. It’s not all the EU’s fault.

I’d argue that Blair started the descent in the race to the bottom by introducing the national minimum wage. Which has rapidly become a maximum wage for anyone in an unskilled job

Franglais:
Which “high wage, low cost of living, protecionist” economies are are Volvo Jay and Rjan discussing here, please?

The USA, Germany and Japan all have a national average wage way higher than us, with cost of living roughly a third. And though China has a national average wage a third of ours, cost of living is around a tenth. All those countries have very protectionist economies, with many strict rules on employment, imports and the like

OVLOV JAY:

Franglais:

The USA, Germany and Japan all have a national average wage way higher than us, with cost of living roughly a third. And though China has a national average wage a third of ours, cost of living is around a tenth. All those countries have very protectionist economies, with many strict rules on employment, imports and the like

I don’t know about this. Have you seen the bums on the streets in the US? Also, the US started from a high level, but the real average wage hasn’t risen since about 1970. That is, the average American worker was as wealthy the year they went to the moon as he is today.

Same with Japan - property costs a fortune, workers work relatively long hours, and they’ve practically given up having children.

And with Germany, it’s hard to argue they are being protectionist when they are members of the EU. Unless they are only being protectionist in a fashion that the UK national government would also have the latitude for.

OVLOV JAY:

Rjan:

I’d argue that Blair started the descent in the race to the bottom by introducing the national minimum wage. Which has rapidly become a maximum wage for anyone in an unskilled job

I think we’ve had that one before here. It’s possible that it had an effect by acting as a coordinating signal for bosses to attack wages, and also by anchoring workers’ expectations to a particular figure.

But there is nothing to say the minimum wage cannot be higher, so I can’t see a reason to argue against it on principle. The Blair government is of course culpable for not setting the NMW higher.

Other more compelling factors are, of course, the increase in net immigration which did take off under Blair. Another thing is that it follows the disintegration of solidarity and collective bargaining amongst the workforce.

One of the main factors in my view though is probably the tax credits system. This has allowed actual wages to fall because they are supplemented by non-wage income (the same problem as with the Speenhamland system), and it has discouraged workers from bargaining for more since they would lose most of it to the means test, and it has thus pacified a large proportion of the workforce as well as pacifying low-wage employers with a subsidy.

Rjan:

OVLOV JAY:

Franglais:

I don’t know about this. Have you seen the bums on the streets in the US? Also, the US started from a high level, but the real average wage hasn’t risen since about 1970. That is, the average American worker was as wealthy the year they went to the moon as he is today.

Same with Japan - property costs a fortune, workers work relatively long hours, and they’ve practically given up having children.

And with Germany, it’s hard to argue they are being protectionist when they are members of the EU. Unless they are only being protectionist in a fashion that the UK national government would also have the latitude for.

There’s bums on the streets in every country in the world, but I’ll bet my last pound than there’s not one in the developed world countries that doesn’t have some sort of mental, physical or addiction problems.

And maybe the average American is only as well off as they were 50 years ago, but we’re not. Far from it to be honest.

And Germany is protectionist in the way that they use their own industries for the domestic market, rather than import. All those economies are self sufficient, but we’re only really in the top 5 due to being so big in financial services. We have a huge reliance on imports, for our own industries. Who would really get the steel contract for HS2 for example? British Steel or Tata? Probably the latter

What the Brexit referendum really was

m.youtube.com/watch?v=rE0tp97h7Us

What is this guy wrong about?

Answers in clearly defined points, please.

hkloss1:
What the Brexit referendum really was

m.youtube.com/watch?v=rE0tp97h7Us

What is this guy wrong about?

Answers in clearly defined points, please.

The guys whole argument is unstitched by the fact Parliament voted overwhelmingly to hold the referendum, and spent £9m (on top of what is allowed to be spent on a campaign) to push a pro remain message literally through our doors, with the clear wording that we decide the outcome, and the government will implement our decision. A 50.1% margin is enough, there was a 4% clear margin to enact Brexit. Parliament then again voted to trigger Article 50, starting the leave process. Sovereign parliament handed the decision to the electorate. We made our decision and instructed government to carry it out. Along comes the likes of Gina Miller and Richard Branson, along with a remain judge to say that parliament should control the process as its sovereign. It was already passed to the electorate. There’s a lot that guy is wrong about to be honest

OVLOV JAY:

Rjan:

There’s bums on the streets in every country in the world, but I’ll bet my last pound than there’s not one in the developed world countries that doesn’t have some sort of mental, physical or addiction problems.

Probably because if you live on the street you either have something wrong by definition, or by consequence. Drug addictions in wealthy societies will keep you warm at night on the street and can be supported by begging or crime, for example.

And maybe the average American is only as well off as they were 50 years ago, but we’re not. Far from it to be honest.

Indeed, we started from a lower base, and the rot set in a little later for us.

And Germany is protectionist in the way that they use their own industries for the domestic market, rather than import. All those economies are self sufficient, but we’re only really in the top 5 due to being so big in financial services. We have a huge reliance on imports, for our own industries. Who would really get the steel contract for HS2 for example? British Steel or Tata? Probably the latter

I’m not sure this quite proves they are “protectionist”. Merkel, who represents their equivalent of the Tories, has given the German economy a massive dose of migrant labour to keep down wages. They’ve implemented massive reforms and reductions of public entitlements in recent years - the “Haartz” reforms they were called, if I remember correctly - no doubt to keep up with the attacks that the likes of Britain have made upon its workers (and which would give Britain an export advantage if Germany didn’t follow suit).

So it’s not clear that the German worker is in an appreciably different position to the British worker.

The Germans continue to have a strong industrial base mainly because they have carefully curated it for generations and remain the best in their fields, not because there is any shenanigans going on. The Germans were surging ahead of Britain even before the war.

It’s true that Britain - unlike Germany - has intentionally destroyed much of its former industry, but nobody forced us to shut down coal production for example and replace it with imports (including from Germany! But also from other places far and wide). Textiles were also once a strength too, but Britain failed to invest in productivity and ultimately allowed all its Victorian machinery to be sent to the Far East. Whereas Germany has constantly ploughed money into advanced machinery and productivity. Same in France.

Instead of “getting onto an election footing” earlier this year, Labour might have got on to a “Let’s complete Brexit the moment the Tories faceplant” footing instead. Now they’ve come out for Remain though, their cap is there to behold: 12 Libdem seats targeted, plus 160 or so ERG-held Tory seats the voters who are going to suddenly switch to Labour becaauuse??

How does Labour build on any seats from what I’ve just described?
With the Brexit Dividend “Coffers are Empty” especially if Hammong slings his “War Chest” at the EU before we can lock him up for the crook that would make him in no uncertain terms! :imp: