Old trucks still on the road

bernie:
ps…ime trying to teach the birds to flap in right direction to help me up the hills :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

if ya wanna see some motors like that the classic comercial show is on at gaydon motor museum warwickshire june 13th :laughing:

the still runs his f reg 143 450 still going strong and a nice drive to

Running down the M42 yesterday to the Motor Show in my car passed a Spainish registered MAN 19-231 looked well old - pre F2000 & F90 cabs - the writing was worn off the doors and the fridge trailer.

When I first started driving in 1986 used to have a ERF A Series J plate (1st time round) and regluary used to drive a F86.

Rob K:
I’ve no idea what it is, but there’s often some white unit with tiny twin front windows and old European looking white trailer parked up at Thurrock services on a night. It’s on foreign plates which don’t give away which country it’s from unfortuntely. I’ve seen it on the A14 near BSE too.

That could be one of the US built Freightliners that have something to do with the USAF in East Anglia/Oxfordshire. I saw 2 the other day on the A34, also seen them on the A14. Usually pulling 40’ x 12’ trailers with a side door.

Make Cliff and Bully pine for home!!!

Nice to see this thread has rattled some memories :slight_smile:

Calv (back on line now after a week on holiday)

The P reg Atki Borderer referred to in the post belongs to John Huddlestone of Gainsborough. However all is not what it seems. Underneath the bonnet lies a 14 litre ■■■■■■■ which I think is rated at 320bhp. It sounds like a train and it goes like one too! The only Atki Borderer I know which goes faster, is the one belonging to Terry Godbold from Harleston in Norfolk. He once passed me going over Saddleworth on the M62. I was doing about 55mph in my Atki and he passed me and was a spec on the horizon in a matter of seconds. I suppose 350bhp of ■■■■■■■ power coupled to a 13 speed Fuller box helps.

Harrisons of Sheffield must be modernizing - I passed an ERF B Series of theirs the other day!!! I think they are still running some of the Scammells though on local work.

Some of the posts on this topic refer to the Atkinson Skyline.

The Atki with the large windscreen is in fact called the Viewline.

I think the Skyline was a piece of “Jap-Crap” built by Nissan!!!

You’re dead right Kill, it was the Viewline. Not for the first time in this life, I’ve been lead astray.

One of the adverts for the ‘Viewline’ showed a driver lying injured on the floor. Two others standing nearby watching saying ’ Bill’s just fell out of his new Viewline’.

Hardly the best way to promote your product, but then safety was not quite the priority it is now in those days!

Salut, David.

Reverting back to Harrisons briefly, just before Hadfields steelworks in Sheffield (which was a bit of a base for Harrisons) closed in 1980something I recall seeing a S80 series Foden tractor unit in their workshops, never registered and still in factory primer, although complimented by a hefty coating of dust!

The S80 you saw at Harrisons is probably still there. They have a reputation for not parting with anything. A mate of mine went to see if he could buy some parts for his wagon from the “scrap pile”. He walked away empty handed!!!

i saw a volvo n10 today, yes a bonneted 10 series volvo :confused:
being french registered i couldnt tell how old it was, but it had the twin headlights, anyone got a rough idea■■?
chris

The american trucks on the A14 run from the US base down there and deliver all over the UK - they come to my place most weeks and bring trailers that are shipped over from the states. They used to GMC Aerostars but have changed some of them to cab over Macks. They did have a day cab Iveco Eurostar 6 wheel unit at one time.

The french Volvo N10 would, I guess be late 70’s. If you look at the main part of the cab, it is the same as the F86 - one of the models which ceased production when the F10 & F12 were introduced.

Dave Gee from Wakefield has preserved an N10 and I think his dates from around 1977.

Hope this helps

cool ta!! :sunglasses:
next time i see it i will try to get a photo to post on here
chris

Smith & Robinson (later Hargreaves) ran loads of those N10 Volvos and the model before it.

There were a lot of tanker companys running bonneted trucks in the 70’s

Volvo N10’s

[/b]

Rikki,

Nice pictures of those N10s. Where did you get them? Are you ex-Econofreight?

The cab part doesn’t look much like an F86 though does it? When I worked for Econofreight (Leicester depot) in the 70s they gave me a brand new Daf 3300 which, as it was supplied to the Thornaby head office had to be serviced by the local dealer up there. This necessitated me overnighting without my motor so they put me up in the N10’s predecessor on heavy work, the Scammell Contractor. My keen anticipation of upgrading to heavy haulage (as opposed to long, high & wide) was shortlived when I realised I was shoehorned into a rabbit hutch add-on to a Leyland Redline cab!

If you are connected with the company, is Geoff Lane, my transport manager at Leicester, still Managing Director? He took over from Tom Llewellyn whom I got to know personally in my capacity as shop steward during the '79 strike!

I renewed my aquaintance with Geoff in the nineties when I broke an airline outside their new headquarters. Had a spare but not the spanner power to undo the nuts. His fitters sorted me in no time while we had a quick trip down memory lane.

Salut, David.

Was the model before an N86 or N88? I cant remember.

I remember the G88 day cab Volvo.

The photos Rikki has posted have the screen pillar and grab handles of an F10 /12

I lived in Howden where Econofreight had a depot and John Kelly was the foreman fitter. They were more general freight though with Atki Borderers

Nice pictures of those N10s. Where did you get them? Are you ex-Econofreight?

Yes I used to work for Donkeyfreight… in Middlesbrough… the photos are not taken by me but aquired over the years :smiley: :wink:

Geoff was MD for a while… then Roy Brandley took over… Unfortunatly the owner Brambles Industries had no interest in Heavy Transport and slowly wound the company down… I went when part of Econofreight was sold to Sarens of Belgium and was amalgamated into the fleet of GE Curtis also owned by Sarens

Econofreight itself was sold a year or so ago by Brambles to Abnormal Load Engineering of Stafford, Chasetown was shut, the Middlesbrough yard closed and very few are left working for them… although I did see a couple of their wagons the other day still in the colours!!

OK, it probably wasn’t the F86 cab! The picture I had in my head was different to the pictures of the N10 I have in my photo archive! I think I’m right with my dates though! My brain must have been cabbaged when i posted!!!