old police car

The real Biffo:

m.a.n rules:
that’s a beauty biffo. what model is it ?..

1938 Wolseley 12/48, i believe that Northamptonshire police had it at one point. It’s just cost me an arm and a leg to get it resprayed.

It needs to at least be a 14/60 for the iconic 6 cylinder roar with the bell. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=RA_7RZhQQno

These older cars are often kept on fleet for the TPAC pursuit training. That may explain the 2 in it an the DVSA site may have been a form up point for the next exercise

youtu.be/TH9JHwDaVeg
a good video of some from the past… my personal favourite is the mk1 Granada. sat in the back of one once… :blush: :unamused:

corij:
i saw a 06 plate volvo estate traffic police car today,it was in that navy /yellow colour that they were back then .i was behind it for a mile or so,2 cops were in it .Anyhow It then pulled into a vosa stop in Felixstowe where several modern cop cars and a raft of vans that had been pulled up were going thru the checking routine.Also up at the redundant police station in town [thats been sold off a while back] the car park was full of ordinary cars and a notice out on the pavement "police training day " it all looked odd . Why would old bill retain in the fleet such an old traffic car ?

For pursuit training and T-pac refresher course, they use de-commissoned cars so damage and ragging them senseless doesn’t matter, they also use old cars for skid training, exit training when in full kit, and, stinger training, and other Training activities, older cars are also used for covert obs, as are cars bought from auction, Customs+excsie use plain cars as do other HMG departments.

youtu.be/zye8rD3U6V0
sorry for going off the thread but just come across this… wow memories… :slight_smile:

m.a.n rules:
https://youtu.be/TH9JHwDaVeg
a good video of some from the past… my personal favourite is the mk1 Granada. sat in the back of one once… :blush: :unamused:

Ironically my own choice of cars usually matched police cars from Triumph 2.5 to Granada 2.8i Manual and BMW E3 3.0 Si and Jag XJ.Strange that the two important latter cars of choice are missing from the list.While the S type was rightly more popular than the MK2 with the law.Arguably after the underworld had shown them it was a better handling motor with its IRS than the Mk2 and with more room as a bonus.

unixnerd.demon.co.uk/images/e3_1.jpg

aronline.co.uk/cars/jaguar/p … rs-jaguar/

As for the 2.5 Pi I ran one as my first car and it wasn’t as bad as its reputation suggests if the injection components like pump and mechanical fuel metering unit were treated as disposable items.Being domestically massed produced by Lucas arguably just as cost effective to maintain/replace as a triple weber conversion to get the equivalent ITB set up.While converting it to twin SU’s or Strombergs as the factory ( and I eventually did to make it easier to sell on ) was cheaper but took a considerable amount of power from the motor by comparison.

As for Sherpa and Transit vans they were often fitted with Rover V8 or Ford V6 respectively in emergency spec.Some say again a factory ‘upgrade’ learn’t/nicked from the underworld fraternity who did it first. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

edd1974:

mrginge:
In the centre of London you will be surprised sometimes by the cars that suddenly have blue lights in the grille.

I have noticed that in London and other places.plain bog standard cars. With lights in the grille. And at times when you see the car I sometimes wonder if there genuine police . Or jo blogs who’s fitted lights In his grille .
As you see blue lights behind you obviously your Gona pull over.
Then as they pass and you look I think mmm you.dont look .like the police

How should they look if they’re police officers? :smiley:

It’s not just the police that have blue lights fitted to unmarked cars. The military, security services, ambulance/doctors, fire service and even HMRC can and do use them.

There’s a reason why bog standard cars are used and not always brand new BMW’s. :wink:

RoadsRat:
How should they look if they’re police officers?

In the 70s, the undercover drug squad officers, had flared jeans, tie-dye t-shirts, afghan waistcoats, and headbands around their shortbacknsides!

So says some… :smiley:

this was eadt.co.uk/news/two-arreste … -1-6107545 ere i saw the volvo chug on into

It’s more common than you think, when vehicles are due for replacement they are usually sent to the forces workshops or vehicle centre, it’s not uncommon to find vehicles 10+ years old come from any department sitting around or being used when needed in the months before they are decommissioned. Bicester traffic workshops had a 54 plate traffic Vectra in a few months back, it had come from a training centre but was still used for a while before being stripped of all it’s battenbergs

They even got a old black cab in this video with multiple unmarked cars

youtu.be/-7unQWFwBx0