Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

gav44:
cheers for your help in getting the pics up lads, I hope the wait was worth it, I had a sit down today with the old man and all of a sudden it was ‘story time’ I am going to get him to join the forum so tales of the old-days can come from the horses mouth so to speak, believe me when I say apart from ‘iffy’ knees at 85 his gardener 180 is firing on all cylinders and nothing makes his eyes glass over more than talking about halcyon days gone…exept maybe the sound of a meadows 10.6 petrol in an explorer!!

Great photos “gav44” Keep them rolling, Regards Larry.

Larry Dunbar, Thanks for the info, very much appreciated

I worked at this company from 1961till 1966 it was one of the best company in the north east to work for at that time, wagon & drag Newcastle to inverness 5 days 20mph was the max speed limit at that time, photos are from Ken Patterson who’s dad harry drove the AEC mandator, 359EBB also TK Bedford 66SSR photos taken at fenham barracks and T-V-T-E driver of the year regional competition, think photos are from 1963 fenham barracks 1966-67 T-V-T-E

did anyone that was at the reunion at the labour club on the 28th Dec buy raffle tickets for the bobby robson foundation please check your tickets. ticket number 731has not been claimed, if you have that ticket ring the labour club to pick your prize, bumper

Look what I found. This was after my old friend and colleague, Billy Wilkinson, had left us. I think this was outside Gateshead Civic Centre on a Sunday morning.

Leyland600:
Hi TTB your account of a Chinese Six for Robson of Hexham intrigues me, do you have a photo or any other details. I used to run over to the north east almost daily in the 1960s and 70s and knew most motors in the Tyne Valley but cannot recall this one. Eden Commercials did supply some chassis to Hexham operators in the past, I know the former stores manager who is a mind of information regarding their customers. If you can post a photo or registration details I may be able to identify the vehicle better. ?
Cheers, Leyland 600.

If you know the stores man it must be David pr Mike? Knew them well over the years. Yes both them Erf’s came from eden commercials the j plate is a 14L 410 ■■■■■■■ and the f plate is a 325 L10.
The J plate was bought brand new and only owned by Robsons, went well in its day. The f plate was an ex johnsons cattle truck bought second hand off eden with a blown head gasket, had a pump change at the same time and it also went well.
I’ve got some pictures somewhere , J242BHH and F381ASM. Anymore info just ask. They are parked up as John’s grandson owns them now. Restoration project maybe.

John Robson and his son Malcolm
Used to run a couple Bedford Chinese six rigids in the mid 80s they used to subby for wellborn freights and R Watson transport out of commercial plastics at cramlington John died a few years back and the last time I spoke to Malcolm he was operating a couple of motors in Lancashire[/quote

Dont believe all you hear, Malcolm never owned a truck in his life, he just drove for his Father. Now drives for the steady eddie brigade.

Hi , Yes I know David Foster who was the stores manager at Eden Commercials, I have known him since 1969 when I acquired my ERF 66GX six wheeler. I still see him occasionally at various vintage rallies here in ■■■■■■■ and South west Scotland.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi , Yes I know David Foster who was the stores manager at Eden Commercials, I have known him since 1969 when I acquired my ERF 66GX six wheeler. I still see him occasionally at various vintage rallies here in ■■■■■■■ and South west Scotland.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hiya Gerald, I know this maybe not the thread to ask but I was on the M6 yesterday and were my eyes deceiving me or did I see a white ( DAF maybe) with ADB in blue letters pulling what looked like a fridge van or similar ? Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis, No your eyes were not deceiving you, apparently there is another company of the same name operating in a white livery with blue lettering. I have never seen any of their vehicles but there are some photos on Flickr. Click on the link posted below.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

flickr.com/photos/95735001@ … xhj-ato3xf

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

David is should a gent, was always very helpful and great knowledge on Erf’s. Such a shame when Eden closed.

Hi David & Bev, Yes he is and very knowledgeable about the details of most ERFs sold by Eden to their various customers, for anyone doing research into old ■■■■■■■■ ERFs this is the man to ask. I went into the stores many years after owning my ERF looking for a low air pressure switch for a Leyland Leopard coach I was operating, I told the lad in the stores it was the same as fitted to an ERF 66GX when a head popped up behind the partition and said " dont be so silly, this lad wasn’t even born when they were making these wagons" none other than the bold David. (I must be getting old) His sales colleague at the time was Nick Foster whom I knew as a fitter at Fodens Carlisle depot a few years earlier, sadly Nick passed away suddenly not long after that conversation.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Nick was a good honest man also, he sold the Erf’s to john. Didn’t know he had passed away, another good lad gone.

HI D&B Yes Nick was a likeable soul, I always think of him telling the tale in Fodens Carlisle depot one day when he was home on leave from his job in Saudi Arabia, Fodens wanted volunteers to go out there to maintain dump trucks they had on construction sites in the 1970s, Nick was a volunteer and told the tale about lying on his back under a dump truck working away, wanting another spanner he felt around behind him when he touched something soft which hissed, looking round he saw a snake coiled too near for comfort causing him to make a very hasty exit and have nightmares for a few nights in the future. We did laugh as he told the story but I certainly would have reacted exactly the same. Aye he was a good lad like them all in Foden’s Carlisle depot.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Omg leyland600 think I’d of done the same and more if that had happened. Yeah he had tails to tell but always had time for you, not many people left that are characters now. If you see David tell him the Robsons from Hexham are asking about him, I am the youngest and best looking :laughing: thanks Davey

338834117a6301764249l.jpeg

last 3.jpeg

Pictures given to me by John Yates, I should of taken more pictures at the time!

Hi Bumper, Seeing your photos of the Bero AEC Monarch and Bedford TK brings back memories of seeing them reversing into the Bero depot on Scotland Rd, Carlisle, however in discussion with a mate I was trying to establish just where the warehouse/store was on Scotland Rd. Was it adjacent to the cemetery entrance driveway or was it further north towards Kingstown. ? I know there were some pre-war semi-detached houses nearby.
Cheers, Leyland 600