off to alberta

Terryx6:
From what I could gather I didn’t think companies would be interested in taking on foreigners doing tank work, I had contacted a couple of recruitment companies who said I needed to be in canada first, I know westcan do super bs and was kind of hoping that they would take me on with the experience that I have and knowing that I wouldn’t be away foe weeks at a time would be a bonus, but like I said I have family and they come first, whatever if takes the kids are so excited with the prospect of leaving burnley forever and who am I to hold them back!

:laughing: The recruitment companies know ■■■■ then , Westcan have been taking immigrants on tank work since 2004 that I know of , and probably longer than that .
Trimac are currently advertising for 10 tank drivers on the fuel , based Regina , not sure about LMOs but could be worth a phone call .

Thanks for thank,I did apply to trimac but had no response from an email in will try and give them a call tomorrow. I spoke to Denise at westcan who told me Lmos were in the pipeline and only a couple of weeks away they might be here by the time I visit next week, she told me they had positions available and just waiting for the Lmos fingers crossed

Burnley!!! 'Tis a small world indeed… You’re not too far from where I used to live! I lived near Whalley for years! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

My accent has mellowed somewhat but I still find most Canadians haven’t a clue what I’m saying! Lol. And they are a bit more literal when it comes to swearing and take offence easily! When you tell someone to F off they think you really mean it! Or maybe that’s just me! Trying to slow down when you’re talking seems to help to. I came across an English guy on the CB the other day and I didn’t have a scooby what he was saying he was waffling so fast. :confused:

It is a small world Angela I work with a guy from Whalley, I know what you mean with the accent I have worked with Canadians when I was in the territorial army they didn’t know how to take us and were so serious all he time until we introduced drink!!! Canadian loggers didn’t stand a chance against the royal engineers, I emailed trimac tonight and left answer phone messages, if need be I will just call in next week

60% turnover at Stewarts. Of the last five only two are left. I know three drivers there very well and, unless your face fits, you’ll be left on lumber south and tyres back. 38cpm down and 43 back. All curfew sitting is unpaid. That can be three days per trip. He has several on the point of pr now so there’ll be lots of vacancies soon. :grimacing:

Walters, well even their trainer quit.

Pascual can get lmo as far as I’m aware.

Firms have you by the nadgers in Alberta. Bear that in mind.

The trainer didn’t quit from Walters.

Personally I would avoid any firm that had a trainer anyway.

Having a trainer tells me that they have a lot of newbies and if they have a lot of new drivers then that means a high turnover, a high turnover means it ain’t the best job.

Different story for a new arrival of course, but it also tells them that the job will be a stepping stone and not a job for life.

Want to know where he’s working now? Name of Austin.

bobthedog:
Want to know where he’s working now? Name of Austin.

H&R ?
Watt & Stewart ?

bobthedog:
60% turnover at Stewarts. Of the last five only two are left. I know three drivers there very well and, unless your face fits, you’ll be left on lumber south and tyres back. 38cpm down and 43 back. All curfew sitting is unpaid. That can be three days per trip. He has several on the point of pr now so there’ll be lots of vacancies soon. :grimacing:

Walters, well even their trainer quit.

Pascual can get lmo as far as I’m aware.

Firms have you by the nadgers in Alberta. Bear that in mind.

Now it would be fair if you mentioned the correct pay. you start at 38cpm and 43cpm but each year you get a 1cpm raise. A 3cpm safety bonus and a 1cpm milage bonus if you manage at least 30000 miles every quarter(I’ve never had less then 12500 miles on average) is paid out quarterly. Being parked up with curfews is not being paid but only Iowa has a couple of 3 day curfews and if you don’t plan ahead (leave earlier from home or stay home a few days longer) then it is your own fault. The times I did get caught in a curfew through no fault of my own, delays in loading tires etc, I got paid for the time I sat. Yes there are a few guys that will leave as soon as they get PR but they weren’t truck drivers back home and will quit trucking here as soon as they get PR, They only use the system for an easy and quick way into Canada which is their right to do so. Watt & Stewart isn’t perfect but you can do a hell of lot worse.

Dear me, it seems W&S are on the hit list now. I have a few of their drivers as Facebook friends and don’t remember seeing many, if any, posts about being marooned anywhere because of curfews, they seem to work it out so they coincide with their driving hours as far as I can tell.

H&R have moved off the hit list apparently although I received an email from someone, who shall remain nameless, trying to get me to do an expose on their dodgy practices.

The email mentioned Cabotage and disregard of HOS amongst other things.

Obviously I never acted upon it as the sender had recently parted company with them and had a score to settle.

They run elog and tend to be pretty straight. It’s those tyres. The ones under 13’ can route through MO and avoid all the weekend curfews because they don’t need a pilot car. The 13’s do so they go through Illinois and Iowa.

Illinois is midday Friday till Monday morning curfew for example. Then there’s the SK curfew. Then there’s the wait for pilots and night bans

All unpaid. It’s not, irrespective of what you might think, a hitlist. It’s a lot less damning than posts by some about other firms on here. It is simply fact.

And I could not guess who your message was from. Those I know well there wouldn’t message you about it.

All the new drivers that come over are on elogs the ones who have been here a while with the exception of a few are still on paper logs.

Yea being parked up for oversized is a pain granted but if you work it right then it’s an extended reset. SK anything over 12’7" you gotta park up when it’s dark but if you get up in the mornings you can get a full 13 hrs drive in so no problem there

It appears some of us have a short memory in regard to emails.

W&S is pretty specialized, so there are going to be parts of the job that are a PITA but those are countered by the destinations, going up to some of those mines with the tyres is going to let you see some spectacular scenery.

From what I gather they run in pairs quite often, so being parked for a weekend with a couple of work mates can be better than being on your own, depending on who they are of course.

It’s horses for courses though, if you want something different you go to W&S or Walters, if you want regular in & out the back door work, you go to H&R, quite simple really.

In winter?

Extended reset?

What about home time? If you’re getting a round trip average of 41 or 42 cpm and that’s including oversize rate, and sat (unpaid) for nearly 3 days, and only getting 11000 miles a month…

Need I say more ?

The few guys that I know there didn’t lose that much time through the winter. I only got parked up once and that was in NE the start of last month and that was due to high winds

bobthedog:
Illinois is midday Friday till Monday morning curfew for example. Then there’s the SK curfew. Then there’s the wait for pilots and night bans

Illinois is from Saturday noon till Monday morning, not Friday.

You also can run in SK with a more than 12’6’’ in the night with a pilot car, but usually it makes no sense. You can make it in one day from Minot ND to Claresholm AB.

Was working for W&S and wasn’t sitting too often, it’s a matter of proper planning your trips.
Even in winter time with restricted daylight driving hours I made more miles than with H&R and more money.

You must know the rules, running oversize is not a job for drivers who are not the sharpest knife in the drawer :unamused:

Bob I’m just wondering with what you’re saying about W&S you are talking from first hand experience with them■■?

I have a dog, sometimes it just barks for no reason.

Close enough for government work, taffy. :grimacing:

No, I wouldn’t work there. I do a little oversize work but not too much. The permits are always fresh from my printer and I do read them. I like to keep trotting on. Thing is that the people I do know there I know very well. They’re not people I was thrown in with when I emigrated. Check your summer curfew times again as well.

Only reason I mentioned it in the first place is because although you can use them as a vehicle to get out here, Alberta is taking a long time to get residency and that is a company that will keep you away if you want to earn.

Personally, I’d prefer to sit at home on my off days than in the truck somewhere else. And those curfews are unpaid. Seems you avoid that part. There were drivers sat for 12 days at the end of January and 6 days at the end of February. You avoid that too. It took until the end of April for them to get more than the $100 a day for that.

It truly makes no difference to me. Mr moderator and I have our issues but may I suggest that he leave those issues to one side on this. After all, he has warned many against BFS many times, and with many auto censor cuts in his warnings.

I am telling only what I know from others, after all, and hoping that people understand what will happen.

H&R pay a higher rate and, if you work as they need you to, will give you miles. And I did work there for a time which me moderator did not, yet the jabs about those are there for all to see.