New Self-Driving Truck Concept from Volvo

Still need somebody to put the lines on and wind up the legs and doubt they would be welcome at a tail lift delivery . We ain’t getting paid off anytime soon .

beefy4605:
Still need somebody to put the lines on and wind up the legs and doubt they would be welcome at a tail lift delivery . We ain’t getting paid off anytime soon .

Personally I’m curious how they’re going to tackle the lines issue. The legs can easily be motorised (and there is less likely to be accidental damage to them if the trailer is in purely automatic use), and I guess in principle they could also eliminate the air supply and control lines by having an electrically driven compressor and controller on the trailer itself, but they need at the very least some way of making an electrical connection automatically (incorporating both a power supply and a control bus).

Rjan:
Personally I’m curious how they’re going to tackle the lines issue.

Deja vu. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ZU1F9Fp … fullscreen

Johneboy:

Rjan:
Personally I’m curious how they’re going to tackle the lines issue.

Deja vu. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ZU1F9Fp … fullscreen

I was going to post that! So yea, it’s already been done.

I can forsee a situation at RDC type places at some point, where as drivers we drop our trailers at the gate and an robot shunter picks it up and drops it on a bay. When tipped/loaded, trailer is deposited back at the gate for you to collect. Minimum wage agency staff on site (such as the yard marshalls at Amazons) can be trained to open doors & curtains.

Only when I see a robot shunter sticking trailers on bays (it will happen), will I consider that the beginning of the end. The complete riddance of drivers may well be a pipe dream at the moment, but what isn’t a pipe dream is technology slowly dumbing down the job more & more, thus making it harder for drivers to justify a decent wage. Once technology gets its hands on reversing & manoeuvring, we are stuffed.

rob22888:
The complete riddance of drivers may well be a pipe dream at the moment, but what isn’t a pipe dream is technology slowly dumbing down the job more & more, thus making it harder for drivers to justify a decent wage. Once technology gets its hands on reversing & manoeuvring, we are stuffed.

The simple answer is stop trying to pretend your only entitled to a decent living wage if you’re doing something special, and instead argue for a decent wage simply based on the fact that you’re a citizen doing a useful and necessary job.

Then, if they dumb the job down, that’s their problem - it still doesn’t affect the wage you get for the simplified but substantial work you still have to do.

At the end of the day, we all still have to go to work for 8 hours or more, whether what we do there is simple to learn or not, and there are still bills to be paid, regardless of how simple the bosses make the job.

Rjan:

rob22888:
The complete riddance of drivers may well be a pipe dream at the moment, but what isn’t a pipe dream is technology slowly dumbing down the job more & more, thus making it harder for drivers to justify a decent wage. Once technology gets its hands on reversing & manoeuvring, we are stuffed.

The simple answer is stop trying to pretend your only entitled to a decent living wage if you’re doing something special, and instead argue for a decent wage simply based on the fact that you’re a citizen doing a useful and necessary job.

Toilet cleaners can argue that they do a useful & necessary job, they should certainly be entitled to a “decent living wage” but I think our wage expectations are a bit higher than that.

The more dumbed down the job becomes, the less employers need to value us & less the wage premium you can demand over societies most unskilled & menial jobs. Hell, on the hourly rate stakes we already have jobs with the NMW hot on their heels.

rob22888:

Rjan:

rob22888:

Toilet cleaners can argue that they do a useful & necessary job, they should certainly be entitled to a “decent living wage” but I think our wage expectations are a bit higher than that.

Why is it you think you’re entitled to more for being at the wheel than someone who slaves scrubbing ■■■■■■ toilet bowls all day?

The more dumbed down the job becomes, the less employers need to value us & less the wage premium you can demand over societies most unskilled & menial jobs. Hell, on the hourly rate stakes we already have jobs with the NMW hot on their heels.

Surely then, the answer is to ensure that the most “unskilled” (which often means the skills and the discipline that are widely taught and trained by the state through schooling, it does not simply mean a human brought up in the forest would be suited to it) jobs are paid at a decent rate.

The reality is, when workers pretend that their jobs are the hardest and most important and deserve extraordinary wages, all workers end up on crap wages (or you end up with luddites trying to cling on to backward and unproductive methods because they have inherent barriers to entry, when the real answer is to fight for a fair and proper share of the new productive methods).

Then if the boss decides to simplify the job and reduce the number of hours required? Hey hey, that’s great, I collect the same salary as before with a fraction of the effort and time!