New Driver

R420:

Kizza76:
Glad to hear I’m not the only one and a few of you have had same issues. For the record I do take pride in the truck I drive whether it’s the companies or not. And thanks for you honesty

Learn from your mistakes. A lot of these silly scrapes happen through laziness, eg. can’t be arsed to stick it in reverse and take a quick shunt to ensure it goes round, instead you just keep going as it looks like it might go round okay in the mirror but actually grazes the steps or corner of the bumper. Take your time and don’t let others pressure you. If you are unsure, get out and look or take a shunt. You don’t win any prizes for rushing about. After 7 months you should have enough experience now to gauge what’s gonna go and what isn’t.

+1

If you get to a point where every time you phone the office and they say “O.K what have you done this time” you should pack it in. The few and far between incident happens ,pick yourself up and crack on.

alamcculloch:
…“O.K what have you done this time” you should pack it in.

Suspect they’ll make sure you give up, at least with their employment. Oddly agencies don’t seem as bothered which is probably not a good thing.

You will likely find they give new drivers the oldest trucks with plenty of dints. Just try not to add any more, at least ones that involve people, cars or things that need repairs (stone walls in middle of nowhere usually don’t).

Best ones are when they say “at least you didn’t do the same as the last driver”. Like I tapped a fence and last one put a whole in an office wall. Or I damaged a grass bank, but last one burst a gas main!

One thing - if it wont fit, tell the office that unless they want a big damage bill this one needs a smaller truck. If you can take pics that helps too. Usually works as they dont know what the drop is like.

Oh and don’t reverse without looking! You woupd be amazed how many idiots park right behind you even after 30 seconds.