National Lottery

bubsy06:
I dont play, making myself poorer to make someone else richer aint right.

Ah, someone with a bit of nouse. :sunglasses:

Big Jonā€™s dad:
Youā€™re right. It is normally the poorer members of society who play the lottery. When you next see the queue in the newsagent to buy lottery tickets, have a look how many of the punters look affluent and how many look like they donā€™t have 2 haā€™pennys to rub together. You wonā€™t see many doctors, lawyers, accountants, or business owners purchasing lottery tickets. The one exception is the micro business owner who often hasnā€™t very much business savvy to start with.

I speak for myself as Iā€™m just about qualified to do so, but Iā€™d rather be poor anyday than be Rude!!!

Big Jonā€™s dad:
Nice. I have an International Time Recording master clock in an oak case from my days as a time clock engineer. I converted it to wind itself up with a synchronous motor so it wouldnā€™t clunk every minute.

Old machines, love 'em. Restored this one too. I liked the trucking theme!

I used to have six pinball machines in my front room but Iā€™ve calmed down a bit now. :wink:

SamIam:

Big Jonā€™s dad:
Youā€™re right. It is normally the poorer members of society who play the lottery. When you next see the queue in the newsagent to buy lottery tickets, have a look how many of the punters look affluent and how many look like they donā€™t have 2 haā€™pennys to rub together. You wonā€™t see many doctors, lawyers, accountants, or business owners purchasing lottery tickets. The one exception is the micro business owner who often hasnā€™t very much business savvy to start with.

I speak for myself as Iā€™m just about qualified to do so, but Iā€™d rather be poor anyday than be Rude!!!

Oh dear. Did you think I was being rude? I wasnā€™t being rude intentionally if you thought I was. :blush:

I may have provoked some thought about the futility of buying lottery tickets though. :bulb:

Did you disagree about affluent people being less likely to play the lottery? :question:

I play the Lottery. I only ever buy one line though because if I bought two lines and won with the first line Iā€™d be devastated at the wasted pound on the second!

I also told the GF that if I ever won the jackpot Iā€™d buy her some clogs, when she asked why I said it was so I could hear her walking to work on a morning. :smiley:

True story; not long after scratch cards came out I broke down in a little village in Warwickshire. As I was waiting for a fitter I went into a little post office ā– ā– ā–  newsagent to buy some ā– ā– ā– ā– , after I got served the guy behind me gave the lady a fiver and bought four scratchcards, me being the contrary sort thought ā€œwhy didnā€™t you buy five?ā€ So I duly bought the ā€œfifthā€ card, scratched it off and won a grand! His face was a picture. The first and last one I ever bought. :smiley:

Big Jonā€™s dad:

SamIam:

Big Jonā€™s dad:

Oh dear. Did you think I was being rude? I wasnā€™t being rude intentionally if you thought I was. :blush:

I may have provoked some thought about the futility of buying lottery tickets though. :bulb:

Did you disagree about affluent people being less likely to play the lottery? :question:

I was brought up not to put people in boxes no matter who or what they are, My life at present is somewhat lacking but that dose not mean that its over! I treat everyone I meet the same way, that is with respect and courtesy untill I allow them to make me feel differently, without being influenced by anyone else, then I trust myself and my own gut feelings about them, to if I like them or not? I hope that I never view anyone in a queue to how deep there pockets are (Maybe Iā€™m just too British and am quite happy in line instead of pushing in or making a fuss) But god help anyone who pushes in or thinks they are to good to be behind anyone else as Iā€™ll be the first to shout NOā€¦ I get the impression that you like to provoke a discussion hence why bring up a post about lottery if it is something you feel as a waste of time? somewhat similar to me being a member of a Professional drivers association when I donā€™t drive for a living, but because I enjoy the contact of others and most of all like other peoples sense of humour! I apologise as you may have hit a raw spot with me as I also provoke others to think I am someone I am not, Oh look at her sheā€™s alright, she got this, she wares that? but my advice is the same to anyone never judge a book by its cover!! as you probably see me still in that lottery que waiting for my Knight in Shining. Money dose not maketh man, but knowledge gives us power? ā€œHey life can be hard enough sometimes so friends and money could make things betterā€ am I correct in that sentence? :slight_smile:

SamIam:
I was brought up not to put people in boxes no matter who or what they are, My life at present is somewhat lacking but that dose not mean that its over! I treat everyone I meet the same way, that is with respect and courtesy untill I allow them to make me feel differently, without being influenced by anyone else, then I trust myself and my own gut feelings about them, to if I like them or not? I hope that I never view anyone in a queue to how deep there pockets are (Maybe Iā€™m just too British and am quite happy in line instead of pushing in or making a fuss) But god help anyone who pushes in or thinks they are to good to be behind anyone else as Iā€™ll be the first to shout NOā€¦ I get the impression that you like to provoke a discussion hence why bring up a post about lottery if it is something you feel as a waste of time? somewhat similar to me being a member of a Professional drivers association when I donā€™t drive for a living, but because I enjoy the contact of others and most of all like other peoples sense of humour! I apologise as you may have hit a raw spot with me as I also provoke others to think I am someone I am not, Oh look at her sheā€™s alright, she got this, she wares that? but my advice is the same to anyone never judge a book by its cover!! as you probably see me still in that lottery que waiting for my Knight in Shining. Money dose not maketh man, but knowledge gives us power? ā€œHey life can be hard enough sometimes so friends and money could make things betterā€ am I correct in that sentence? :slight_smile:

Calm down dear, itā€™s only a forum. Nobody has mentioned pushing in until you did. Have you got your knickers in a twist? :smiling_imp:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64663&p=794743#p794337

In the linked thread, during a discussion about VAT, Carryfast made a comment about me winning the lottery to which I replied I didnā€™t buy lottery tickets as I regarded them as a tax on the innumerate. I then thought it would make an interesting discussion as obviously many people do play the lottery.

Anyway I accept your apology, as I hope you accept mine should you feel offended by my prose. :smiley:

I reccommend buying Premium Bonds instead of lottery tickets.You still have very little chance of winning ,but can have your money back.

Anyway, my Mum won Ā£1200 on the lottery, she has won a tenner here and there too, she has been doing Ā£1 a week since it started so thatā€™s about 16 years at Ā£52 a year which is only around Ā£800 so she is ahead.

Gambling is only generally a problem if the gambler deludes himself about his success rate. Iā€™m fully aware of the fact that I have spent far more on tickets than I have received back in prizes, and that statistically this pattern is likely to continue. So all it boils down to is ā€œCan I afford it?ā€

I do it to help the Canadian teachers union who bought out Camalot a while back,ā€¦licence to print money,I would rather it be owned by the NHS,then you win all the time

Well,have a Story
Went to Cactus in Luxembourg and handed Lotto sheet in to check.Nothing,said the Lady and put the sheed away.
Giveme back i said. No,nothing on she replied.
No Worry,i use it as Wall Paper.
i got the Sheed back and went for a Coffee.
After,when leaving there was a Beauty in the Shop and i went to check again,just to say a few Words. She gave me over 5000.- Belgium Franks.
Now i am in UK and do not expect some activity,but,the other time the Lady at the post Office said ā€œNothing onā€ and,well,i remember i have seen she got a small Paper printed out. She didnā€™t gave me the sheed back as she put it away and left and the Lad who replaced her didnā€™t know which one is mine.
You know.I think its more safe you register at the Lotto Office and they forward Winnings direct to your Account.

Harry Monk:
Anyway, my Mum won Ā£1200 on the lottery, she has won a tenner here and there too, she has been doing Ā£1 a week since it started so thatā€™s about 16 years at Ā£52 a year which is only around Ā£800 so she is ahead.

Gambling is only generally a problem if the gambler deludes himself about his success rate. Iā€™m fully aware of the fact that I have spent far more on tickets than I have received back in prizes, and that statistically this pattern is likely to continue. So all it boils down to is ā€œCan I afford it?ā€

I made last a cross on the wrong Place and paid Ā£70.- for a few week running,but i Won Ā£2.-
thats a Double Espresso for Ā£1.50 and Ā£-.50 left in the Pocked :wink:
Since them i put all the money i would spend on lotto in a Bag and go after a Few week Shopping with it :bulb:

I play the lottery as long as I live in the UK, and thatā€™s for the last 14 years.

Why??
Because where else can you buy a dream for a quid (actualy I buy 4 lines a week)
This has nothing to do with mathematics, odd, chances etc. itā€™s just a bit of harmless fun.
Off course I could have put that 4 quid a week in a jar which would have been nearly 3 grand, but would it made me happier?

Maybe Iā€™m naive, but if it keeps me hopes up, to win once that massive price, what is wrong with that.
Everybody, young or old need their dream, and dreams are generaly unrealistic, or un-obtainable, but that itā€™s why itā€™s a dream.
The moment you make that big boom, thats when it all splatters apart and become real, with his own problems.

The small prices are not a winā€¦but a lesser loss.

Ansd I still think that most off the people play in the lottery for that dream. :blush: :blush: :blush: