Multi lane overtaking

Franglais:

shullbit:

dave docwra:
Pretty sure you can stay out when the motorway changes back to three lanes or more until you have completed your overtake.

If you overtake when it is 2 lanes then it becomes 3 lanes you must move back over to the left when it is safe to do so, obviously this means that you can complete your overtake if you have been caught out, or the car you are overtaking has decided it doesnt want to be overtaken by a lorry. :slight_smile:

If you cant complete your overtake within the law you shouldnt start it.

As you rightly point out this is why all truck drivers need to have 2nd sight in order to predict an idiot car drive speeding up whilst being overtaken.

If it is 2 lanes it is perfectly legal to overtake. If you dont know the motorway and signs dont dictate that it becomes 3 lanes in another mile, how are you to know otherwise, also there are also situations(we all know this) where there is a car dawdling along at 45 so you go to overtake knowing you have plenty of time to get back in , then he decided to speed up to 55 leaving you hanging in the right hand lane, is this your fault, does this make your overtake illegal because you cant complete it before it becomes 3 lanesā€¦of course it isnt illegal.

I know your all talking about the actual law however if Iā€™m approaching at 55 and thereā€™s a truck (or car) tootling along below 50, reading the signs or just driving like miss daisy, Iā€™ll be alongside and past you within 10 seconds. If thereā€™s only a mph or 2 between us Iā€™ll happily sit it out for another 30 seconds before the motorways actually split and I go for my overtake.

Punchy Dan:
What about wide loads straggling 2 lanes ? Do you follow at 52 / 55 or if the wide load drops to 50 do some go for the 3rd lane overtake ? How slow or fast does a wide load need to go for you to overtake ?

You are legally allowed to overtake an ā€˜ā€˜exceptionally wide loadā€™ā€™ it clearly states this in the rules you can also go into the right hand lane to avoid being in an accident and you can also be in the right hand lane where a slip road puts you into the right hand lane such as here. google.co.uk/maps/place/Bla ā€¦ -3.0356748 but you must move across when it is safe to do so

manicpb:
I know your all talking about the actual law however if Iā€™m approaching at 55 and thereā€™s a truck (or car) tootling along below 50, reading the signs or just driving like miss daisy, Iā€™ll be alongside and past you within 10 seconds. If thereā€™s only a mph or 2 between us Iā€™ll happily sit it out for another 30 seconds before the motorways actually split and I go for my overtake.

Crack on, but if a traffic cop sees you on a slow day you are getting 3 points and a fine.

shullbit:

Franglais:

shullbit:

dave docwra:
Pretty sure you can stay out when the motorway changes back to three lanes or more until you have completed your overtake.

If you overtake when it is 2 lanes then it becomes 3 lanes you must move back over to the left when it is safe to do so, obviously this means that you can complete your overtake if you have been caught out, or the car you are overtaking has decided it doesnt want to be overtaken by a lorry. :slight_smile:

If you cant complete your overtake within the law you shouldnt start it.

As you rightly point out this is why all truck drivers need to have 2nd sight in order to predict an idiot car drive speeding up whilst being overtaken.

If it is 2 lanes it is perfectly legal to overtake. If you dont know the motorway and signs dont dictate that it becomes 3 lanes in another mile, how are you to know otherwise, also there are also situations(we all know this) where there is a car dawdling along at 45 so you go to overtake knowing you have plenty of time to get back in , then he decided to speed up to 55 leaving you hanging in the right hand lane, is this your fault, does this make your overtake illegal because you cant complete it before it becomes 3 lanesā€¦of course it isnt illegal.

The fact is that you are not breaking the law by overtaking on a 2 lane motorway, it is a 2 lane motorway when it is no longer 4 lanes and it stays a 2 lane motorway until becomes 3 lanes.

This topic has just come up in the drivers room (I reckon thereā€™s some stealth TN users in there).

The opinion seemed to be that as long as a clean quick overtake it is fine. Reasoning being is that the offence is not overtaking in a ā€œ4thā€ lane but either dangerous driving/driving without due care and therefore if you could prove that by slowing to stay behind youā€™d be causing an obstruction to other drivers wishing to move from lane 2 to 3.

On that reasoning a copper is unlikely to issue a penalty notice as he knows it could end up with him having to spend a morning attending court to put his case forward which may very well be thrown out and a complete waste of time when he can pull someone else and get his brownie points on an open and shut case.

Obviously this is just a bunch of drivers opinions, Iā€™m not taking it as gospelā€¦but just as valid as the opinions on here!

manicpb:
This topic has just come up in the drivers room (I reckon thereā€™s some stealth TN users in there).

The opinion seemed to be that as long as a clean quick overtake it is fine. Reasoning being is that the offence is not overtaking in a ā€œ4thā€ lane but either dangerous driving/driving without due care and therefore if you could prove that by slowing to stay behind youā€™d be causing an obstruction to other drivers wishing to move from lane 2 to 3.

On that reasoning a copper is unlikely to issue a penalty notice as he knows it could end up with him having to spend a morning attending court to put his case forward which may very well be thrown out and a complete waste of time when he can pull someone else and get his brownie points on an open and shut case.

Obviously this is just a bunch of drivers opinions, Iā€™m not taking it as gospelā€¦but just as valid as the opinions on here!

I donā€™t understand the ā€œobstructionā€ comment. Driving along in a lane isnā€™t being an obstruction, surely?
If someone wants to get into a lane they should do so in good time, and adjust speed to fit in between any vehicle already there.
We can all be courteous and help them of course, but being there is not obstruction.

Franglais:

manicpb:

I donā€™t understand the ā€œobstructionā€ comment. Driving along in a lane isnā€™t being an obstruction, surely?
If someone wants to get into a lane they should do so in good time, and adjust speed to fit in between any vehicle already there.
We can all be courteous and help them of course, but being there is not obstruction.

I think itā€™s in a case where thereā€™s 3 or 4 lorries in a line, front one is limited to 52 and the others have bunched up behind. If thereā€™s someone in lane 2 indicating to get into lane 3 alongside the second lorry, surely itā€™s better for him to pull into lane 4 and overtake leaving the gap for the driver in lane 2 to pull into.
The other option is to drop to 48, which slows the lorry behind and the one at the back slams his breaks on cause heā€™s changing the radio station and doesnā€™t notice. Before you know it lanes 1 and 2 are traveling way faster than lane 3 so the whole motorway slows to a crawl.

Obviously that would be a rush hour scenario, any other time a bit of patience is probably the better option. Just throwing it out there, as when the blokes raised the question of what would you actually get done for did make me think!

front one is limited to 52 and the others have bunched up behind

I like your phraseology. Is that a polite way of saying they are travelling too close or tailgaiting? :laughing:
Many problems would be solved if drivers learned how to keep a safe distance.

jakethesnake:

I like your phraseology. Is that a polite way of saying they are travelling too close or tailgaiting? :laughing:

Now you know, God has spoken

robthedog:

jakethesnake:

I like your phraseology. Is that a polite way of saying they are travelling too close or tailgaiting? [emoji38]

Now you know, God has spoken

God or not, the post looks correct.
Manicpb seems to be describing a line of tail-gaters?