Moving to spain?

thank you for all your replies at the moment i’m putting it on hold my financial situation has got worse and with the jobs not being available we will just sit and wait no point in rushing even if this country is a sh##hole. I want to move because i like the lifestyle and culture off other countries bit sad like that i love to travel and see how different things are. Thank you for your truthful reply sunboy i like to here about what it is actually like hope you get something sorted soon pal

regards steve

I agree with sunboy, I have been living in Spain since Nov 07 just south of Alicante and do the same, 3 to 4 weeks Uk and a week in Spain.
Flights are still reasonable and the baccy covers the cost :slight_smile:

Siver Wolf Freight.New depot and contact details in Euro driving forum.

Hi Steve I want to do the same as you mate get away from here and move to Spain.I’ve got a couple of mates out there and like people are saying things are dead out there.I go out there 2 or 3 times a year.But its hard going at the moment out there for everyone.there’s also alot of english coming back due to the work situation.my mates have there eyes and ears open so if i hear of anything then i’ll let you know.
Have you thought about getting a job over here that drives out to Spain on a weekly basis.
I know a few months back Continental express were looking for drivers but there not around your way there in herts.I thought about that when i thought i was gonna get redundancy.I’m out there again in 4weeks so like i say i’ll let you know if there’s anything about.
1 Good idea that a friend of a friend was doing.He brought a car transporter and then brought the ex pats cars cheap from them as the new ruling about the length of time you can now keep a foreign car on the road out there was forcing them to sell he then brought them back here and auctioned them was making a mint but unfortunately he was killed in a RTA.But Like you say things are hard for you at the moment but if your luck changes you could think about that idea perhaps.
Good luck mate

tim williams:
Siver Wolf Freight.New depot and contact details in Euro driving forum.

tim i don’t know if you saw my post a bit earlier but steer clear of wolf. i know cos i worked for them. blank tacho from marbella at 6am into gib wait all day then back to marbella then new tacho about 5 pm start hard drive to uk. 10 hrs drive 9 break, 10 hrs drive 9 break then 9 hrs drive into depot no allowances for traffic or ferry problems if you late tough run dodgy. furthermore 550 euros when you get back is ZB big time

I have said it before on these forums and will say it again now - DO NOT go anywhere near Silver Wolf / Wolf International or whatever Bill Batho and his family are calling it this week.

Apart from running bent and poor money they treat drivers with total contempt. They also hang on to some of your money each week to ensure that you go back the following week!!!

Just a question for the guys that go back and forth to Spain working 3/4 weeks here and then have a week at home in Spain. You guys must be on Agency work? If so how are you managing with the work getting less and less over here? Ive thought about moving to Spain if the works there and thought Sunboys relpy(s) was very useful for anybody thinking of taking the plunge.Spain has great weather, beaches, nice people and places to go but if your not earning I dare say that dont count for much when your worrying if the bills are going to get paid. Great forum this, wish I’d found it earlier,very useful.

something you should consider at the moment is that if you work for uk company and commute to spain then your pay will look bit worse cos of exchange, think its down to 1.05 at the moment so not many euros for your pound whereas working for spanish and living in spain no difference in costs as things are getting cheaper slowly while shops and others compete for your business.
there is work available just that from what i see it seems that some of the guys on here live near murcia or almeria which is heavily related to fruit and veg so fridge work is seasonal and most companys prefer to save money and employ BG RO drivers rather than pay decent pay to decent driver

hey hombre! you def aint wrong about batho, wot a bandit !! leopards dont change their spots!!
in reply to mattcollin, yep i,m on agency work but the thing to do is sign on to three or four agencys at a time when its quiet like it is now and pay your tax /nat ins under what is called an umbrella payment scheme,firms like nova,maddison and bar 2.they are used by the agencys (or some anyway)then you dont get walloped on your tax as you would on ordanairy p.a.y.e as you only have one employer,(bar 2 maddison etc) the agency is what it says it is,an agent to find you work. you also have the benifit of claiming mileage to and from the client you are working for which is offset against your earnings so yopu pay less tax, and its all legal and above board!! keeps the agency on there toes too cos if they know you may do work for somebody else they dont get paid for your services, i was up front with the agencys i work for and told them i was working for another agency,if they have a problem with that you just go to another one,also when i confirm i will do a paticular job thats the one i do,even if i get a call from another agency,that way you are asked back.
as far as the euro goes,well you cant do a lot about that but if you bank your money and keep an eye on the exchange rate when you think its higher than nomal get in and change it up before it drops again,

At Costa Golf Resorts.