Motorsport job opportunity

muckles:

AndrewECMA:
Hello.

I’m interested in this sort of role. I don’t mind hard work and I love motor sport. I’ve done a bit of marshalling and scrutineering, not a massive amount but enough to tell I like being involved.
Is this role still available? Would you mind giving me a bit more info. I’ve had my licence since 2008, but have not been driving all that time. I have about 1 year of experience. Not been driving in a while and I currently have six points. I do have a mechanical background. Worked in a garage and I have done teacher training. Naturally thats not inline but there are many transferable skills from teaching such as communication and support which may be useful in hospitality. I do have my CPC and a digi tacho card. I don’t know much about driving for a race team. Do we all travel together to meets? Still learning really. Any info would be great.

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Andrew.

I don’t know if the job is available as I know the team, but I don’t work for them.
As for info about the job, I did post a bit of general information about what to expect further up this thread.

Driving experience isn’t always a big requirement, I’ve known plenty of teams who’ve trained people up and let them loose in the trucks.
really depends on the type of team and what they expect.
In the bigger teams you’ll normally get a truckie who has the experience and is also the transport manager, so plans the routes, books ferries, hotels, organises the loading and sort out leave times etc.
They’ll quite often be running more than one vehicle to a circuit so you’d slot into the back of the convoy or be a co-driver with somebody more experienced.
In a smaller team, with one truck, you’d probably be looking after that side of things, or the team manger would do it, you also might be working on the cars etc,
The thing to remember is very little of your time is spent actually driving, so if you’re full time you’ll be expected to do loads of other stuff, some of it pretty menial.
If you’re not driving at the moment you could go round circuits at weekends and talk to various teams and see if they need, what’s called a weekend warrior, the fact you can drive a truck might interest a few as I know many are struggling to find truck drivers who can do weekends, but don’t always expect to see much of the race, I saw more of Le Mans this year than I ever did when I was working there. but you will be part of the team and share the good times and bad times.

Thanks for that. I don’t mind other tasks at all, as long as I have a warm bed to sleep in at night. I had a look through the tread, I was wondering more about the driving itself but that helps. Thanks. Naturally I don’t have a lot of confidence with not having much experience. I fine with the truck it self. I like the idea of driving down with other people because then I can just follow until my experience builds with routes and what not. As for the other tasks, I don’t mind a bit of cooking and I like the idea of working with a team, I enjoy driving trucks but I like the idea of working with people most of the time, I’m not bothered about being behind the wheel all the time as I find it a bit lonely. I do like the idea of mucking in and being part of the whole thing.

I worked with plenty of inexperienced truck drivers in motorsport, you’ll normally be ok, even parking at the circuits other truck drivers will normally help you if you’re struggling to get into position. A lot more camaraderie in motorsport, even between the teams than there is in haulage.

The liking being with people, mucking in and working as part of a team is pretty much what it’s about. Mostly you get a warm bed, unless it’s a 24 hour race or they’ve smashed the car big time and you’re doing an all nighter, then you end up falling asleep anywhere when you get the chance.

Although I have complained about my last 2 hotels, I mean the wrong type of chocolates left on my pillow, bed not turned down, my pyjamas weren’t ironed and my shoes weren’t left outside my room after they’d been polished. :imp: I don’t expect a lot, just the basics. :laughing:

That sounds pretty good I must admit. Sounds like I’d enjoy that kind of work. I like the idea of doing something different. I’m in Lincolnshire. Cadwell is on my doorstep and I’m not far from Lincoln or Scunthorpe. Not sure whats around me, I’d have to look into that as I’m not in a position to relocate right now. I would like to do this as my main job though so relocation would defiantly be considered if the right opportunity came along.