Most petty thing you have witnessed on site

8wheels:
I was returning a 14t excavator to another local plant hire firm that we had cross hired in (At that time we had 6 on hire) After reversing to the corner of the yard nearest their wash bay, I dropped my ramps and unloaded it. Ramps up and I got my broom out and swept the body piling up the loose mud skits by the bottom of the ramps for later disposal.

Manager comes out and gives me a bollocking for sweeping off in his yard (which was thick with mud anyway) He claimed to have watched me sweep it off the side, so I marched him to the back to show him where I’d left it. He then faltered and pointed out to the handful of crumbs that had dropped off the machine whilst it was unloaded and told me to get a barrow and shovel.

Apparently once the machine was on the ground it was their problem and they would clear up (yeah right) the mud left behind.

I’d spent best part of an hour digging the mud out of the tracks before loading the bloody thing so I wasn’t impressed and left without sweeping up as told.

On the basis of it being their mud on the floor once the machine was unloaded the next one was unloaded into their gateway so they would have to track it all the way across the yard. Petty works both ways

Are you still doing the plant work Graham(?). I remember reading your interesting blog. I see it’s still up! Is it really 12 years ago now? :astonished: Where has time gone? :frowning:

yorkshire terrier:

thehighlandscot:
Yesterday after running the length of the country, about 500miles, I had ran out of screenwash. Asked the office for a couple of litres to get me preferably to the yard or at least a services.

Almost didn’t get the nod.

Office were not for it at first but understood it was a one off. But had a driver come up to me in the yard when I went to fill up telling me I couldn’t touch it and then run away to grass to the office. I actually pointed to the window which was covered in dirt but according to him it was still ‘against company policy’ or whatever pointy shoe reason he came up with as he made a B line for the office door. Little did he know I had asked in advance

So much for helping the fellow driver

That’s unbelievable so we are now in an era where drivers have to ask for screen wash

Especially as an empty screen wash bottle is illegal…certainly an MoT fail, and possible a roadside prohibition too?
And potentially far more serious…
A girl I knew of many years ago went to jail because of this. Knocked an old lady over on a zebra crossing, and killed her while driving a company pool car…
Told the nice policeman “I didn’t see her, the sun was shining and my windscreen was dirty.”
Policeman said: “Did you try to clean the screen?”
She said: “Yes, but the washer wasn’t working, and it’s not my job to fix it.”

Oh dear. Escalated the charge to ‘causing death by dangerous driving’ with that last answer. Go to jail, go directly to jail do not pass Go etc.

While waiting inside a waiting room at a RDC , for five hours, the manager at goods in said I have to wear a high visibility vest while inside as I took the stupid thing off .
On the subject that GasGas mentioned with reference to the lass driver and having a dirty windscreen, the police are very clever at extracting information .
The police will trick you in to talking at the scene, what you said at the scene will be noted and recorded and used against you, at later date in court.
She would have been better off keeping quiet because what you say can seriously change the charges and aggravating factors for the Judge to calculate the sentencing guidelines.
As offences fall in to categories to determine the length of immediate custody.

Went to a small workshop yesterday for a small repair. Was told that I must wear a face mask whilst standing outside ofthe cab in the open air! I then noticed that every single employee of the workshop was not wearing a mask. I enquired why they didnt have to wear a mask and the answer was “They have a covid test done every day!”
I nearly wet myself laughing. I ended up going for a walk instead as I wasnt prepared to be a victim of the latest hypocrisy.

msgyorkie:
Went to a small workshop yesterday for a small repair. Was told that I must wear a face mask whilst standing outside ofthe cab in the open air! I then noticed that every single employee of the workshop was not wearing a mask. I enquired why they didnt have to wear a mask and the answer was “They have a covid test done every day!”
I nearly wet myself laughing. I ended up going for a walk instead as I wasnt prepared to be a victim of the latest hypocrisy.

I wonder if they are £135 blood tests with next day results?
Maybe Dido Harding should ask about their test supplier?

Mick Bracewell:

8wheels:
I was returning a 14t excavator to another local plant hire firm that we had cross hired in (At that time we had 6 on hire) After reversing to the corner of the yard nearest their wash bay, I dropped my ramps and unloaded it. Ramps up and I got my broom out and swept the body piling up the loose mud skits by the bottom of the ramps for later disposal.

Manager comes out and gives me a bollocking for sweeping off in his yard (which was thick with mud anyway) He claimed to have watched me sweep it off the side, so I marched him to the back to show him where I’d left it. He then faltered and pointed out to the handful of crumbs that had dropped off the machine whilst it was unloaded and told me to get a barrow and shovel.

Apparently once the machine was on the ground it was their problem and they would clear up (yeah right) the mud left behind.

I’d spent best part of an hour digging the mud out of the tracks before loading the bloody thing so I wasn’t impressed and left without sweeping up as told.

On the basis of it being their mud on the floor once the machine was unloaded the next one was unloaded into their gateway so they would have to track it all the way across the yard. Petty works both ways

Are you still doing the plant work Graham(?). I remember reading your interesting blog. I see it’s still up! Is it really 12 years ago now? :astonished: Where has time gone? :frowning:

Yes same thing, I’m stuck with it now I think.
Pay is very good for hours worked and regular too, makes it hard to leave when nothing else comes close. Having been doing it so long it is now fairly easy too as rarely need to bother with a map or get troubled by something I can’t figure out. I had 7 weeks on furlough earlier in year when it first started, despite keeping active and busy whilst off coming back made me realise what a hard work and dirty job it actually is.

Franglais:

msgyorkie:

That was going through my mind… 40 staff at £135 per test every day!!! Lol they must think we are all brain dead to believe their tripe.

msgyorkie:

Franglais:

msgyorkie:

That was going through my mind… 40 staff at £135 per test every day!!! Lol they must think we are all brain dead to believe their tripe.

We were offered those tests where I work, but only if we paid ourselves.
Decided I didn’t want to loose 10% of my day rate.

The other night a pointy shoed, stripey shirt wearing orange hivis manager gave me a bollocking…
My crime?
The front bumper of the unit went into a pedestrian crossing when I stopped, allegedly during a “shift change” :unamused: :unamused:
Told me not to do it again :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

msgyorkie:

Franglais:

msgyorkie:

I daresay what they are actually doing is the same as any number of other places where they “blip” everyone with a non-contact thermometer at the start of every shift. Calling it a “Covid test” is a bit of a stretch though…

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk