Manitoba

jonnytruckfest:

sats72:
To the op, if your younger than 31 you could come over to Canada via the IEC working holiday visa. With this visa you get an open work permit and can then pursue a truck driving career in Canada and save yourself the bother of doing the UK tests. I think you can get two years with this visa, so if you decide trucking’s not for you, you could try a different career path.

HTH

I am and have been told about this visa, which is what I’m probably going yo take up after a few months taking driving over here I’ll move as I believe I would be able to apply for the PNP after that with having 2 years commercial driving experience under my belt :slight_smile: I’ll of only turned 21 in August so a few years to go before i turn 31 yet!

31 years is the cut off age, after that you’d not be eligible for IEC, but obviously you have plenty of time on your side. Do some research on it, you could be in Canada next year if you wanted to be. As for MPNP I think you just need to work for your employer for 6 months and have a letter from your employer stating you’ve been offered a permanent position, I think the 2 years experience is required for the lmo, but if you come over on IEC then no lmo is needed, hence no UK experience needed, but like i said do some research as I’m not 100% certain.

neilg14:

sats72:
To the op, if your younger than 31 you could come over to Canada via the IEC working holiday visa. With this visa you get an open work permit and can then pursue a truck driving career in Canada and save yourself the bother of doing the UK tests. I think you can get two years with this visa, so if you decide trucking’s not for you, you could try a different career path.

HTH

The IEC visa is for one year originally then you apply for the second one while you are here and if you want to stay you can apply for PR while here on these visas and I believe you don’t need to be sponsored through the company for PR, you do it through a different stream.

Yeah your right, I think you can apply for pr through the Canadian experience class and skip the PNP process altogether.

sats72:

jonnytruckfest:

sats72:

HTH

I am and have been told about this visa, which is what I’m probably going yo take up after a few months taking driving over here I’ll move as I believe I would be able to apply for the PNP after that with having 2 years commercial driving experience under my belt :slight_smile: I’ll of only turned 21 in August so a few years to go before i turn 31 yet!

31 years is the cut off age, after that you’d not be eligible for IEC, but obviously you have plenty of time on your side. Do some research on it, you could be in Canada next year if you wanted to be. As for MPNP I think you just need to work for your employer for 6 months and have a letter from your employer stating you’ve been offered a permanent position, I think the 2 years experience is required for the lmo, but if you come over on IEC then no lmo is needed, hence no UK experience needed, but like i said do some research as I’m not 100% certain.

Sounds about right.
Last December I signed onto Bunac to get an IEC visa for my son, they do 2 lots of 2000 people and it’s like a lottery, you sit there on the website refreshing every few minutes waiting for the window to open which I did and on a refresh, the window went to closed and I missed it, 2000 places gone in a minute.
That happened twice to me, then after Xmas he signed onto the Gov.ca website and also missed it twice, so now we have to try again this December.

neilg14:

sats72:

jonnytruckfest:

sats72:

HTH

Sounds about right.
Last December I signed onto Bunac to get an IEC visa for my son, they do 2 lots of 2000 people and it’s like a lottery, you sit there on the website refreshing every few minutes waiting for the window to open which I did and on a refresh, the window went to closed and I missed it, 2000 places gone in a minute.
That happened twice to me, then after Xmas he signed onto the Gov.ca website and also missed it twice, so now we have to try again this December.

Didn’t realise thats how the IEC worked, but regarding your son, could he not just apply for PR via the family route?

sats72:

neilg14:

sats72:

jonnytruckfest:

sats72:

HTH

Sounds about right.

Didn’t realise thats how the IEC worked, but regarding your son, could he not just apply for PR via the family route?

Not now, he’s too old, the age limit was 23 but they’ve now reduced it to 19.

neilg14:
Not now, he’s too old, the age limit was 23 but they’ve now reduced it to 19.

Wow, its changed a lot from the time I last looked at the criteria. Even the MPNP had a family stream, but when having a wee look at their site there, they state that family members have to apply through the CIC. I’m glad I went through the process when I did with all these changes.

Hi Robbie
There are a couple of companies that advertise in truck stop news available from most truck stops in the uk. There will be a fee payable mine was £3000 but for that they do most of the admin for the lmo, visa, medical, driver training in Canada and flights so I thought it was a pretty good deal. I had to pay dvla record £5 crb check £25 work permit on entry to Canada $150 I don’t know about Manitoba I’m New Brunswick but if you like it here then once you have your PR then you can go where you like.

Neil1x:
Hi Robbie
There are a couple of companies that advertise in truck stop news available from most truck stops in the uk. There will be a fee payable mine was £3000 but for that they do most of the admin for the lmo, visa, medical, driver training in Canada and flights so I thought it was a pretty good deal. I had to pay dvla record £5 crb check £25 work permit on entry to Canada $150 I don’t know about Manitoba I’m New Brunswick but if you like it here then once you have your PR then you can go where you like.

Who in New Brunswick are you coming to drive for?

robinhood_1984:

Neil1x:
Hi Robbie

Who in New Brunswick are you coming to drive for?

C&J trucking subbing to D&R I believe any background would be appreciated

Neil1x:

I can’t say as I’m familiar with C&J. Day and Ross is all owner drivers and small subbies. Working for Day and Ross usually means lots of waiting around at their terminals for no pay or token gesture layovers etc and they’re all on elogs as well so it wouldn’t be for me. I suppose it all depends on your circumstances. Are you coming over by yourself or with a family in tow?

robinhood_1984:

Neil1x:

I can’t say as I’m familiar with C&J. Day and Ross is all owner drivers and small subbies. Working for Day and Ross usually means lots of waiting around at their terminals for no pay or token gesture layovers etc and they’re all on elogs as well so it wouldn’t be for me. I suppose it all depends on your circumstances. Are you coming over by yourself or with a family in tow?

Pmd you

I wouldnt come to New Brunswick and work for an owner op or small company because it will probably mean lower wages, few benefits and crap trucks and certainly not paying a recruiter for something you can do yourself. If you are set on New Brunswick why not try Ayr Motor or Keltic Transportation they were taking on foreign drivers, check their websites. Not saying they are any better than the rest but you should get better pay etc. Just stick it out, get your residency and move on. Ultimately if you want to earn more money, dont come
to New Brunswick go to Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Alberta. NB is a nice place to live but wages can be pretty dire and work opportunites are limited.

Try kleysen as well. And try deckx. Both are better firms than BFS right now as there seems to be some transition going on again.

Also, bfs were getting very leery of taking on expats as hardly anyone stayed for the term they set.