Lythgoes Lime Trucks and Spreaders

40136226_1068937663281622_5617739935231508480_n.jpg

Same line up, different angle! Again taken from the web.

Pete.

It’s not Adam Lythgoe, but it is associated and I hope it’s of interest and brings back memories for some.

On overland in 1976, I met Brian Crusher and his Dad, whose name I can’t remember. They drove a yellow (2800?) Daf and were headed for Saudi.

Later, in Jeddah. I met them again at the ‘Medinah’ , one of those hotels where you could buy a room, or merely lurk in the reception, buying chai occasionally and enjoy the air conditioning.

Brian had been brought up in Public School comfort. His dad owned a massive lime spreading business in North Yorkshire, and they lived in a large mansion in several acres.

Unfortunately, their management accountant had been fiddling the figures for about 2 years, in fear of losing his job. Eventually he confessed that the company was bankrupt! From being rich, the family was suddenly penniless, losing the business and the house. I guess limespreading wasn’t the safest business?

Brian was late twenties and had an HGV. They scrambled enough money together to buy the DAF and he and his dad set off to the Middle East.

I think his dad did retire, but Brian carried on, eventually giving up on the lorries and driving overland in an estate car with straps, which were a new invention then, selling them in Saudi, living in the car and heading home for more. I was running Caravan Trading in Dammam by then and used to buy straps off him.

I hope he’s still out there.

John.

cattle wagon man:
If my memory serves me right , did Adam Lythgoe have connections with the quarry
situated close to the Settle - Carlisle railway line at Ribblehead, in the (then) West Riding of Yorkshire
in the late 1950s and early 1960s ? The A.G. name seems familiar to the area.
The entrance to the quarry was opposite the Ribblehead Inn and the other side of the railway bridge , on the
B 6255, between Hawes and Ingleton .

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Would that ahve been the one at Giggleswick Nr Settle, I wonder, Smiles for Miles hauled Lime From their in to 50/60s To Braithwates LSM Plant at Greenside, Later to Be taken over by Tilcon, Regards Larry.

Yes Ribblehead used to be one of ours.

My Dad took me up there a few times when I was a kid - and the other quarries and fertiliser plants too.