Loose Horses

dieseldog999:

Winseer:
A414 into Harlow last night just past the service station pair off the J7 M11 roundabout… Get flashed up by a low-loader coming the other way… There’s a bloody minature pony in the middle of the road 200 yards in front of me. WTF? :open_mouth:

are you sure it wasnt a normal pony 400 yards away?? :confused: :confused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldog999:

Winseer:
A414 into Harlow last night just past the service station pair off the J7 M11 roundabout… Get flashed up by a low-loader coming the other way… There’s a bloody minature pony in the middle of the road 200 yards in front of me. WTF? :open_mouth:

are you sure it wasnt a normal pony 400 yards away?? :confused: :confused:

google.co.uk/search?q=fathe … F-8#xxri=2

Muckaway:

Baggie:
I donate to this,and several other equine charities,if you’ve got a bit of cash spare after Xmas,why not send them a few quid :wink:

For those who prefer dogs, don’t donate and keep the price of pedigree chum down. :wink:
What I call “real gypsies” around the Cotswolds do a good job keeping the verges short as they move the hòrses once the grass is down. These gypsies leave the place tidy and bother nobody, unlike the other sort.

I would agree with what you say Nathan but what i dont like to see is when they tether with chains to the horses feet ,dont know how they get away with that practice, its quite common around this way whether its legal even is another matter.

Travelling back from London Gateway I used the A128 up to the A127 from the A13 today and sad to see a large dead horse on the grass verge opposite the large field full of horses. It must have caused some damage to whatever vehicle was involved.

Ot seen any horses seen this a few years back. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_roundabout

On the roundabout in my original post above I have seen in the last few days a patch of ground to the side of the same roundabout being strawed up (location shown in pic here), and finally before last weekend - saw a rather large pig laid out on this patch of straw.

It, too, didn’t appear to be tethered in any way, like the dray horse nearby.

Surely, if these animals can just get up, and wander into the road, perhaps during morning rush-hour - they represent a danger to themselves and the public?

If these animals all belong to the brudder brigade who are putting them out on public land without paying a penny to the local council in any shape or form - then it’s about time the same local council started enforcing the same laws that would apply to actual TAXpayers - who’d get short-shrift from the multiple by-laws that must be being broken here. :imp:

It’s only a matter of time now until some unsuspecting driver comes into the Flex Meadow estate for the first time at night - and ploughs straight into an animal, and perhaps ends up parking his truck in someone’s living room, bearing in mind there are houses across the grass verges in many places on the main truck routes through to Flex Meadow, which happens to be on the far side of Harlow from the M11 junction. :unamused: :unamused:

I live not that far from that roundabout winseer, probably a mile and it is a regular thing to see the horses loose. Not seen the pig though, but to be fair a lot of the locals around here have the same build so it may well blend in.

If you ever wondered why the industrial areas are on the wrong side of town they were not originally. The town was laid out with all the industry on the western and northern borders. The town was drawn on plans in 1946 and building commenced in 1949. The proposed M11 was drawn up at about the same time but ran to the west of Harlow this was planned to have had two juctions serving the town.

It was then found that as the town progressed, so the willingness of landowners to sell land for the M11 declined. Not long after the planners of the M11 rerouted to avoid other contentious planning hotspots at the southern end of the route and the eastern route was born. This results in the enormous ■■■■ up that the A414 has become. Anyway, a new junction has been approved about two miles north of the existing J7 …we shall see

^^ I guess that Hoddesdon, Ware and Broxbourne have grown up where the M11 was supposed to have run originally then…?

Then there’s the two “Roydons” in the area. As confusing as places called Agia Deka in Greece. I remember getting to a signpost once which indicated the Left, Straight On, and Right turns all led to this mystery village called Agia Deka (so I thought)… Nope. Completely wrong! They were actually three seperate villages with exactly the same name. :confused: :confused: I elected to go “straight ahead” and ended up on a dead end road at the top of a cliff where there was some monastery just before the 300 foot cliff drop-off. “Wrong Turn” indeed. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’ve not seen the pig so far this week, but the patch of straw is still there to see, on the left verge in the picture above… I drive down there every morning around 6am. The dray horse is usually on that roundabout every night though.

Only one Roydon, you are not mistaking Royston are you?

Twoninety88:
Only one Roydon, you are not mistaking Royston are you?

Nah. The other one is the Cat ‘C’ Roydon, that the A23 runs through. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I have confused Roydon Village in the past (it’s not a town, and it’s to the West by Northwest of Harlow) with the place now actually called “Roydon Hamlet” - which is a separate “village” entirely to the SouthWest of Harlow. I was trying to take a 7.5t into Harlow from Hoddesdon in the 90’s, and followed the back road signposts towards “Harlow”. On this back road, I found myself in “Roydon” (I don’t remember ever seeing a “Hamlet” add-on to the village name). I confused this Roydon with the one you drive through when turning off the A414 main road, which had only recently been dualed in that area at the time. I ended up on the Epping back roads an area unfamiliar to me entirely at that time, and finally turned up at the Biscuit Factory where I was trying to get to all along - around 90 minutes late. :blush:
The Biscuit factory was the belching chimney stacks you used to see west of the stretch of the M11 between J7 and J8, and has since been demolished.

Still on the subject - “Last night at Hastingwood Roundabout”…

Was coming off the roundabout, down the soutbound entry to the M11…

At the bottom of the slip road around 4am were a couple of cop cars signalling traffic coming down the on-slip to “go Right around them” into the live lanes of the southbound M11…

As I go past, I am met with the sight of utter carnage… 200 yards of gore, entrails, meat chunks, and a carcass that looked too thin to be a cow, and not gangly enough to be a horse.

The Boys in Black - were busy sweeping this mess up…
The blood pool was large enough to go all across three lanes of southbound M11 (I couldn’t see if Northbound was similar covered, but some mobile lane closures were moving up from the other way…)
Tyre tracks through the blood pool had already splashed blood over 200 yards down the motorway… The police might be able to clean up all the chunky bits, - but I can’t see them cleaning up a bloodstain of THAT size overnight…! Perhaps the next shower of rain…

WTF happened?! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Winseer:
On the roundabout in my original post above I have seen in the last few days a patch of ground to the side of the same roundabout being strawed up (location shown in pic here), and finally before last weekend - saw a rather large pig laid out on this patch of straw.

Surely, if these animals can just get up, and wander into the road, perhaps during morning rush-hour - they represent a danger to themselves and the public?

If these animals all belong to the brudder brigade who are putting them out on public land without paying a penny to the local council in any shape or form - then it’s about time the same local council started enforcing the same laws that would apply to actual TAXpayers - who’d get short-shrift from the multiple by-laws that must be being broken here. :imp:

It’s only a matter of time now until some unsuspecting driver comes into the Flex Meadow estate for the first time at night - and ploughs straight into an animal, and perhaps ends up parking his truck in someone’s living room, bearing in mind there are houses across the grass verges in many places on the main truck routes through to Flex Meadow, which happens to be on the far side of Harlow from the M11 junction. :unamused: :unamused:

You sure it was a pig not a certain mp lying on the grass

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mdourish:

Winseer:

You sure it was a pig not a certain mp lying on the grass

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is about Harlow - not Hackney! :stuck_out_tongue:

They should go round up all them horses and put them down. Then the caravan dwellers might learn.

biggriffin:
They should go round up all them horses and put them down. Then the caravan dwellers might learn.

My thoughts on how to deal with travellers border on the extreme, but in the case of those who have horses tethered on the verge I have no problem with. I do get annoyed with those who drive pony and traps along busy roads with no thought to the traffic stuck behind.