Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Here is the Website that I promised to promote lads. No doubt probably of interest to the older members who will remember some of the old companies and definitely some of the old models of lorries that they will have seen and driven over the years. Well done Paul for putting a superb collection of pictures and history together.

northwesttrucks.fotopic.net/

The UCC photo brought back some memories.Sid Pugh ran the Southampton Depot and was a great bloke to get on with.We used,now and again to have a pint with him in the Sun,just up from the yard.The trailer was one of the continental fleet and the unit,an A Series were originally based at our Liverpool depot on the East Lancs road,near the Yorkshire Imperial Metals Company.I ran out of the Poplar Yard in Yabsley Street and we used to sometimes work out of Southampton,staying in the “Queens” in Albert Road. The "Juniper Berry " was on our evening out route amongst others.Thanks for posting the photo,regards to all,900X20.

Thanks for the insight into the Southampton side of Merrick’s lads, I hadn’t realised they did a change over part way down. Back in the 70’s / 80’s the company I worked for use to buy it’s fuel from their service station next to their Heywood yard, they were also Toyota agents.

900X20:
The "Juniper Berry " was on our evening out

That brings some memories back,is it still going? There were some digs near that pub called Cliff something or other,can’t remember. :unamused:

Chris Webb:

900X20:
The "Juniper Berry " was on our evening out

That brings some memories back,is it still going? There were some digs near that pub called Cliff something or other,can’t remember. :unamused:

Hi Chris,no sadly another piece of Southampton history erased, “The Juniper Berry”. Closed a few years ago now and now that site is covered with more flats. Always good for a good night out and also a good laugh. I always described it as being full of queers, pros and comic singers !! No matter where you went in the world as soon as you mentioned Southampton, people would seem to know the “J.B”. and ask if it was still there.
As for Cliffs digs,well yes they were well known too. When working for Yardley of Leeds back in the early 60’s I remember most of the Leeds trunkers used to stay there 'cause they could sleep in the day. I’ve seen so many changes in this old town over the years and I believe they call it progress :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Hi Nobby

The Juniper Berry is still a pub but now called The Bosuns Locker and I dare say alot more upmarket these days!!

See here

southampton-pubs.co.uk/bosunslocker/

Regards Pat

I know the pub was closed for a long time Pat but have not been to that area for many years. Somebody told me that it had been pulled down and the site rebuilt with flats. (must have been the same bloke who told me of your heart attack). Good to see it refurbished and re-opened but why change the name of such a famous old pub ?

TIR Original:
I know the pub was closed for a long time Pat but have not been to that area for many years. Somebody told me that it had been pulled down and the site rebuilt with flats. (must have been the same bloke who told me of your heart attack). Good to see it refurbished and re-opened but why change the name of such a famous old pub ?

Hi Nobby

I’d start taking a bit more water with it if I were you!!

Hey Nobby I was on my own today the drivers none of the old clan turned up!! Scorey P was off on an excursion with the other elderly residents of his complex at Winchester. I did ask him last week about the Atkinson with Krupp cab he remembered it but nothing about it!

Regards Pat

I can recall one job we did down Southampton area I had taken a "Plastic Extrusion Machine " from Cravens Sheffield and a gang had come down to off load and install it and at night we went in to the Juniper Berry and after quite a few jars one of the gang thought he had scored with the “LADY” singer? and when we told him it was a man he turned round and said we were jealious so we let him get on with it but “she” did convince him he was going to get a shock and he was a long time getting over it as some people would not let him forget. :smiley: :open_mouth:

I remember a couple of the entertainers ‘Dockyard Doris’ (a Blonde sometimes) and ‘Vivienne’ with dark hair!!

Then there was Stan (the landlord I think) who used to compere and hold up a large black and white pic of a couple of dogs(cannine variety) performing, while he was on stage behind the entertainers.

Yes the JB was certainly well known worldwide, when I was in America in 1978 we crossed over to Juarez Mexico from El Paso on the way back the US Immigration man saw we were from Southampton and asked about the Juniper berry!!!

Regards Pat

ainacs:
I remember a couple of the entertainers ‘Dockyard Doris’ (a Blonde sometimes) and ‘Vivienne’ with dark hair!!

Then there was Stan (the landlord I think) who used to compere and hold up a large black and white pic of a couple of dogs(cannine variety) performing, while he was on stage behind the entertainers.

Yes the JB was certainly well known worldwide, when I was in America in 1978 we crossed over to Juarez Mexico from El Paso on the way back the US Immigration man saw we were from Southampton and asked about the Juniper berry!!!

Regards Pat

Hi Pat “Vivenne” that was the one and I believe he was from Sheffield as well, when he came in the bar early on he would be in mens clothes but once he changed that was usually it when I was in anyway :smiley: Cheers Johnnie

TIR Original:
Here is the Website that I promised to promote lads. No doubt probably of interest to the older members who will remember some of the old companies and definitely some of the old models of lorries that they will have seen and driven over the years. Well done Paul for putting a superb collection of pictures and history together.

northwesttrucks.fotopic.net/

Hi,
I have now started a Jameson’s Gallery on the Northwest Trucks web site.
I would be grateful for any comments about any of the pictures or any information about the company that anyone may have especially from ex drivers or management.

Please leave comments on the website or you can contact me direct via email at scottsofoldham@hotmail.com

Thanks

Regards Paul Anderson Northwest Trucks

Hi leading on from the last post TIR Original (Nobby) asked me to put this on, an advert for Jamesons

Regards Pat

Hi All,
Just a few pics of local hauliers.
Regards MaggieD

Nice pic’s there maggie, does anybody know what happend to the famous Don Bush and his Multidrive??

Hi all
I dont know what happened to the Multidrive but newish rigid tippers with Don Bush on are still running about.

Hi chaps, sorry to ■■■■ in. I always follow the thread, it’s a great read, but does anyone know anything about the Rigby F12, only I think it’s on an Ilse of Wight Reg isn’t it? :neutral_face:

Hi BigG-Unit,
I’m sorry I can’t remember who had it before Bernie Rigby, and was told the other day that he has passed away R.I.P. I think he pulled for Sea Route with it,hopefully someone will be able to help.
Regards MaggieD

BigG-Unit:
Hi chaps, sorry to ■■■■ in. I always follow the thread, it’s a great read, but does anyone know anything about the Rigby F12, only I think it’s on an Ilse of Wight Reg isn’t it? :neutral_face:

Hi BigG-Unit

I registered quite a few ex Dutch Scanias and some of them came up on TDL numbers from the Portsmouth LVLO

Regards Pat

Ah! I see, thanks for that. Yeah I expect they would have a few numbers to spare! :laughing: