Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Hi Baldrick

I was in short trousers when I new Steve & his nickname on Eurohaul was Catweasel as in John Pertwee

Another Lamberts driver on here is Mikey 1964.
Cheers
Rich

Hi Rich… thanks for the info!
I’d heard Catweasel mentioned in conversation before but never realised that was Steve’s Nom de Guerre

I can see why he was called that…
I always had him down as Billy Connelly and funnily enough that is his cousins name in the pic above…

All the best. Stu.

cfat

L4251p.JPG

Franglais…
Sent you a pm mate

Baldrick1953:
Franglais…
Sent you a pm mate

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Couple of days ago, Meachers run much better units than they used to

Cfat

I seem to remember SFM having a yard by Cobden Bridge at one time? They would have left in early '70’s? Blocks of flats there now.

Here are some Volvo’s from Southampton off FB, Buzzer

81544131_2949929768360254_8080809052768043008_n.jpg

untitled.png

81587661_2949929805026917_4739059930789576704_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Here are some Volvo’s from Southampton off FB, Buzzer

I think they are all Paul Gee pics.

I know its coaches, but any of you remember Watson’s Coaches from Southampton.

1968, click on pages twice.

Franglais:
I seem to remember SFM having a yard by Cobden Bridge at one time? They would have left in early '70’s? Blocks of flats there now.

It was Dell Wharf I think Brian…
I had a mate , Ian Goodfellow , who was in the traffic office there and we had a mutual friend called Paul … his Dad was Len Seldon who I think was in the traffic office at Greenwood’s . …

Franglais:

Morning “Franglais”, I remember visiting them one day to find everything in that huge shed had been taken outside and stacked.
Walking around inside I was shown the whole floor was bowed in leaving a 12 inch gap with just the huge re-bar holding it up.
It turned out to be a stream used many years ago when it was a boat building slip way had washed all the gravel away under the concrete, took a very brave man in the bucket of a cherry picker and a torch to release it, think that is why they moved. Harvey

HRS:

Franglais:

Morning “Franglais”, I remember visiting them one day to find everything in that huge shed had been taken outside and stacked.
Walking around inside I was shown the whole floor was bowed in leaving a 12 inch gap with just the huge re-bar holding it up.
It turned out to be a stream used many years ago when it was a boat building slip way had washed all the gravel away under the concrete, took a very brave man in the bucket of a cherry picker and a torch to release it, think that is why they moved. Harvey

Dyer’s Boat Yard? Dyer’s still have the land on the opposite bank, but was that their yard too? Or someone else?

Baldrick1953:
we had a mutual friend called Paul … his Dad was Len Seldon who I think was in the traffic office at Greenwood’s . …

Len Seldon was T.M. at Hill of Botley in the early '60’s later moving to Victory Transport which was then taken over by Greenwoods…I worked with him at Victory in the '70’s, he was a very good T.M.and a gentleman too…

Fergie47:

Baldrick1953:
we had a mutual friend called Paul … his Dad was Len Seldon who I think was in the traffic office at Greenwood’s . …

Len Seldon was T.M. at Hill of Botley in the early '60’s later moving to Victory Transport which was then taken over by Greenwoods…I worked with him at Victory in the '70’s, he was a very good T.M.and a gentleman too…

one of Greenwoods

L4213p.JPG

infamous

F88 avec une remorque 6m pour faire le groupage

Fergie47:

Baldrick1953:

Thanks Fergie… I didn’t realise he was at Hills…
Yeah he was gentle soul as i recall…

robthedog:
infamous

Bloody infamous indeed…did a couple of runs to spain in one of these with sections for the olympic tower…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk