Lichfield bridge hit again!

no1dieselman:
It is not outrage, just very good marketing by the pub.
You really have to ask why this particular bridge gets hit so often despite being so well sign posted. It is hard enough for those of us in the industry to understand so I can see why outsiders have the reaction they do. I do have a twinge of sympathy for those involved followed by a chuckle. All these bridge strike posts have taught me one thing though - as part of my checks I always measure the height.

Real clever marketing, making light of accidents. Why stop there? There could be a whole range from Smashed Lens Ale to Dead Cyclist Porter. Brought to you by The Slashed Curtain Brewery.

Oh how we laughed :unamused:

Drempels:

no1dieselman:
You really have to ask why this particular bridge gets hit so often despite being so well sign posted. It is hard enough for those of us in the industry to understand so I can see why outsiders have the reaction they do. I do have a twinge of sympathy for those involved followed by a chuckle. All these bridge strike posts have taught me one thing though - as part of my checks I always measure the height.

Real clever marketing, making light of accidents. Why stop there? There could be a whole range from Smashed Lens Ale to Dead Cyclist Porter. Brought to you by The Slashed Curtain Brewery.

Thing is Dieselman is right, if the local pub gets a few extra clicks they will keep posting on Facebook everytime a lorry hits the bridge!

…and it’s not just lorry driving. I used to work in arboriculture and will still watch videos of tree felling going wrong and comment and chuckle at badly pruned trees I drive past through the day!

manicpb:

Drempels:

no1dieselman:

Thing is Dieselman is right, if the local pub gets a few extra clicks they will keep posting on Facebook everytime a lorry hits the bridge!

Undoubtedly he’s right about the exposure, but that doesn’t make the principle right, which is what I’m trying to illustrate. I heard that Essex Police are looking to prosecute drivers (no doubt some of whom will be of the HGV variety) for taking pictures of the serious accident on the M11 yesterday. More power to them, I hope they nick every last one of the sick ■■■■■.

What a sad society we live in, where people believe that social media broadens their minds and horizons, when it actually does the exact opposite.

wonder if the driver of the hgv nipped in for a cheeky half whilst awaiting recovery :laughing:

xichrisxi:
wonder if the driver of the hgv nipped in for a cheeky half whilst awaiting recovery :laughing:

Had a pint of Half and Half - half under the bridge and half not :laughing:

Drempels:

manicpb:

Drempels:

no1dieselman:

Undoubtedly he’s right about the exposure, but that doesn’t make the principle right, which is what I’m trying to illustrate. I heard that Essex Police are looking to prosecute drivers (no doubt some of whom will be of the HGV variety) for taking pictures of the serious accident on the M11 yesterday. More power to them, I hope they nick every last one of the sick [zb].

What a sad society we live in, where people believe that social media broadens their minds and horizons, when it actually does the exact opposite.

■■■■ off. What sort of society has it become that no longer allows you to ridicule and fool for making an ■■■ of himself. No one was hurt and the drivers identity was not disclosed.
I do agree about photographing crash sites though but I don’t think it should be illegal, it is more down to moral judgement. How far do you take it? Look at HRH incident in Sandringham. Person injured and site swarming with reporters and TV crews. Fortunately only minor injuries. What about the French Concorde crash - minutes after it happening it was all over TV, and all those died. No talk of prosecuting the news media then.

Making an ■■■ of oneself… Quite.

I bet Drempels is fun at a party!

I suspect the Essex Police approach is everything to do with using cameras etc while driving and SFA to do with the legality of taking photos of traffic accidents.

Since they didn’t seem to do much damage to the unit, so wonder if they slid under slowly, thought its gone under the first bit and then floored it. Only to find the second bit is lower, oops.

Roymondo:
I suspect the Essex Police approach is everything to do with using cameras etc while driving and SFA to do with the legality of taking photos of traffic accidents.

Of course. I would have thought that was glaringly obvious, but hey-ho.

Drempels:

Roymondo:

You would indeed have thought so - but comments about such people being “sick” and sarcasm about pub marketing on the back of bridge strikes in the same thread could equally lead one too suspect that the ire is rooted more in the ethics than road safety. But as you say, hey-ho.

Roymondo:

Drempels:

Roymondo:

You would indeed have thought so - but comments about such people being “sick” and sarcasm about pub marketing on the back of bridge strikes in the same thread could equally lead one too suspect that the ire is rooted more in the ethics than road safety. But as you say, hey-ho.

Yes, I can see that, and I would say that ethics and road safety aren’t mutually exclusive, further muddying the waters.

I should also make clear that I was agreeing with you, but I can see how my comment could have been misinterpreted. Apologies for the lack of clarity.

And again, but he made it,so technically a pass.
twitter.com/LichfieldBridge/sta … 82978?s=19

Yesterday… From Twitter.

The idea of maximising load heights to minimise overall vehicle length is getting silly.

Drempels:

manicpb:

Drempels:

no1dieselman:

Undoubtedly he’s right about the exposure, but that doesn’t make the principle right, which is what I’m trying to illustrate. I heard that Essex Police are looking to prosecute drivers (no doubt some of whom will be of the HGV variety) for taking pictures of the serious accident on the M11 yesterday. More power to them, I hope they nick every last one of the sick [zb].

You’ve nailed it with the social media/broadening horizons myth.
It really seems to do the exact opposite sometimes.
It’s just so easy to find hundreds, thousands, as many as you want really, of views and opinions that agree with yours. Confirming, basically, that you’re ‘right’, whatever pish you’re spouting.
And all without the tiresome inconvenience of leaving the house.

twitter.com/LichfieldBridge/sta … 49345?s=19

twitter.com/LichfieldBridge/sta … 7178869760

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk