LHD Bedford TMs

ERF-NGC-European:

It looks like an original 6x4. Is that an F88 fuel tank?

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

It looks like an original 6x4. Is that an F88 fuel tank?

It does look like one! R

ERF-NGC-European:

…good old Marmeth ,nice to see one of theirs again- depot was in Nantua, helpful fitters … i once borrowed some spanners and bits and bobs to fix the exhaust brake mechanism on my 112 in their yard…? apologies for the slight thread hijack, …and yes it doesn’t half look like an f88 diesel tank on that TM chrs Dave

dm61:

ERF-NGC-European:

…good old Marmeth ,nice to see one of theirs again- depot was in Nantua, helpful fitters … i once borrowed some spanners and bits and bobs to fix the exhaust brake mechanism on my 112 in their yard…? apologies for the slight thread hijack, …and yes it doesn’t half look like an f88 diesel tank on that TM chrs Dave

No hijack at all! :sunglasses: When a foreign haulier helps you out it’s impossible to quantify the degree of goodwill that creates. And goodwill towards the host country too! Robert

A Belgian example. Robert

One UK-registered and one Italian-registered… Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
One UK-registered and one Italian-registered… Robert

What is that roof spoiler off on the Italian TM? I’ve seen one before somewhere but can’t place it! Chris

There were lots of those roof spoilers on Italian lorries, I’m guessing it was a generic aftermarket item, the Italian version of Hatcher.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

TM in the Whitbread fleet in Belgium, wonder how they faired with the F88s? Chris

Scan0002.jpg

I think that maybe the 16spd box in the Volvo would even things out a bit, even though the 8V71 had more grunt. The bigger cab and A/C on the Bedford would add to its desirability when the keys were being handed out I’m sure.

newmercman:
I think that maybe the 16spd box in the Volvo would even things out a bit, even though the 8V71 had more grunt. The bigger cab and A/C on the Bedford would add to its desirability when the keys were being handed out I’m sure.

…Until you got to the mountains in the Ardenne (they’re Belgian-reg lorries). I’d have thought 400 horses and that slick Fuller 9-sp box would have left the 240-powered 16-sp ZF syncro standing :sunglasses: ! Robert

Fullscreen capture 10282013 121451 PM.jpg.jpg

newmercman:

Hopefully it would have gone along the lines of I’ll take the ‘Bedford’ and all the others would have laughed. :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

newmercman:

…Until you got to the mountains in the Ardenne (they’re Belgian-reg lorries). I’d have thought 400 horses and that slick Fuller 9-sp box would have left the 240-powered 16-sp ZF syncro standing :sunglasses: ! Robert

That would be an 8v92T not 8v71.Both still arguably being contemporary opponents to the F88/9 during the Volvo’s final production years.Which puts the achievement of GM’s designers into perspective in creating an F10/12 killer before it hit the roads.Also sure Volvo saw the threat too eventually resulting in GM’s removal from the scene a bit later. :wink:

That TM has the 8V71, which is 318hp, not 400hp. If you read the road tests in TRUCK the Ardennes section was all about gearing rather than pure power, a close ratio 16spd box would close the gap between the Volvo and the Spicer 10spd equipped Bedford in such conditions.

Even so, the TM’s wider ratio steps are unlikely to leave you with less power than an F88:

The splitter ratio is 1.27, which gives a minimum speed of 1650 rpm (the engine speed at which you would change down to return the engine speed to 2100 rpm, IE maximum power, at which point the Detroit is making about 262 bhp SAE, which is only 8 bhp short of the F88’s maximum. The Volvo 16 speed 'box has an average ratio step of about 18%, so it won’t spend much time over 262 bhp.

[zb]
anorak:
Even so, the TM’s wider ratio steps are unlikely to leave you with less power than an F88:
The splitter ratio is 1.27, which gives a minimum speed of 1650 rpm (the engine speed at which you would change down to return the engine speed to 2100 rpm, IE maximum power, at which point the Detroit is making about 262 bhp SAE, which is only 8 bhp short of the F88’s maximum. The Volvo 16 speed 'box has an average ratio step of about 18%, so it won’t spend much time over 262 bhp.

The TD’s torque deficit is a tall order to fix in that regard.

Before we get into one of those brain damage BMEP arguments, I would like to say that in layman’s terms, there wouldn’t be much to separate the 88 and the TM in real life conditions.

Now, I’m going to get a couple of knitting needles ready so I can poke my eyes out in readiness for the inevitable gong show that this thread will turn into over the next couple of days.

newmercman:
Before we get into one of those brain damage BMEP arguments, I would like to say that in layman’s terms, there wouldn’t be much to separate the 88 and the TM in real life conditions.

Now, I’m going to get a couple of knitting needles ready so I can poke my eyes out in readiness for the inevitable gong show that this thread will turn into over the next couple of days.

You can remove me from the equation :laughing: as it was I who foolishly jumped to the conclusion that it had a Fuller 'box! To be fair, both the Detroit and the ■■■■■■■ LHD TMs had the 9-sp Fuller as standard, Spicers being more a UK thing. I also ■■■■■■ past the pot regarding the power :blush: , not that I had much info to go on :unamused: . LOL. Happy days! Now then, about this BMEP…

…squelch of the Monty Python foot…

robert

newmercman:
Before we get into one of those brain damage BMEP arguments

No perish the thought. This tells you all you need to know in the go department F88 TD10 v TM 8v71 let alone 8v92. :wink:

fire-engine-photos.com/picture/number33822

historical-fire-engines.com/ … 89-509.htm

download/file.php?id=186844&t=1

prl998.pl/pokazsamochod.php?id=211 I’d heard rumours that the later ( Silver or Red series ? ) Detroits were gutless compared to the earlier Green series but 90 kmh max is having a laugh even for the poverty spec V6.