Leasing a car

the nodding donkey:
£200 per month?? To drive a new car?? Absolutely bonkers. I pay that outright for a car. Run it till it fails the mot, or breaks down. Scrap it and repeat. Most cars will last a few more years. Why anybody would pay £20.000 plus for a car that looses 1/3 of that the moment you turn the key, I’ll never understand. And renting a car? I’d have more fun burning fivers in my stove…

Only works if you don’t care what the neighbours think though…

New car is good to generate new clients especially at startup stage, otherwise I agree, new car is a luxury.

I don’t know what Lady Romik does, but I’ve never gone for new and everything’s worked out well.

One of my customers once said that part of the reason I got his business was that one of my competitor’s turned up in a top of the range BMW and my customer just figured he charged too much.

Personally, and I’ve dealt with a lot of suppliers, I’m not that fussed what they drive, obviously if they turned up in a 51,plate Corsa with the string holding.g the bonnet down I might be put off, but a 3-6 year old car in decent nick, not a problem. Unless she’s becoming a chauffeur, I honestly don’t see the need.

Leased a few myself when I had me own business, had a Citroen DS3 when they first come out, cracking little car.
But looking back it was an unneccesary expense when the business needed the cashflow.

Now just have an old banger for work myself and give the wife something special to slip into as her motor.

Thinking about it the wife is due a new ride as its the only time I get a BJ.

pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=255

Have a look through that thread on pistonheads, there’s been some quality cars available on cheap lease lately, new shape golf GTi was £200ish a month a couple of weeks ago

albion:
I don’t know what Lady Romik does, but I’ve never gone for new and everything’s worked out well.

One of my customers once said that part of the reason I got his business was that one of my competitor’s turned up in a top of the range BMW and my customer just figured he charged too much.

Personally, and I’ve dealt with a lot of suppliers, I’m not that fussed what they drive, obviously if they turned up in a 51,plate Corsa with the string holding.g the bonnet down I might be put off, but a 3-6 year old car in decent nick, not a problem. Unless she’s becoming a chauffeur, I honestly don’t see the need.

I am no lady :wink:

My wife will be starting mobile podiatry, so car will be in white and sign written and left during day by a busy roundabout. Ordered a Juke for £165 per month 15k miles allowance £1k deposit.

Regular cars are no assets, but a liability. That part is more evident than a lamppost to Stevie Wonder. The main reason is to promote new venture for my Mrs and she will be able to claim part of the expenditure back anyway. I do believe that a new car that is nicely sign written will help increase rate of generating new leads, plus less chance of it braking down on route to a client I suppose.

the nodding donkey:
£200 per month?? To drive a new car?? Absolutely bonkers. I pay that outright for a car. Run it till it fails the mot, or breaks down. Scrap it and repeat. Most cars will last a few more years. Why anybody would pay £20.000 plus for a car that looses 1/3 of that the moment you turn the key, I’ll never understand. And renting a car? I’d have more fun burning fivers in my stove…

Only works if you don’t care what the neighbours think though…

I agree with you. I will hold up my hands and say that I fell into the leasing/PCP trap, gave up a perfectly good car to get my hands on a shiny new motor. The novelty wore off after a year and now i’m planning on how I can best rid myself of the financial commitment, i’ve gone over the mileage and don’t fancy giving the dealer a large chunk of cash for the privilege of giving it back so i’m going to have to get something else. Think i’ll go down the used car route, finance a cheap one with aim to owning it asap.

Safe to say I have learnt, it’s unlikely the maintenance of my old car would have cost as much as the finance payments have (a little over £200pm over 3years). I look at all these late teens & early 20s signing up to 48 month PCPs for a suped up Fiesta ST at £350pm and think “what the hell are you doing!?”, they will be complaining they don’t have any savings a few years down the line.

dozy:
Are you sure a juke is suitable for a business :question: , I’m on my 2 nd one and even though the boot is meant too be bigger on later one its still not very big , that said I rarely see it as either daughter ( mainly ) and Mrs always have it :unamused:

Podiatrists only have a folded stool, folded bench and a small case with tools. So spacewise Juke will be more than enough. I’m more concerned fitting our luggage when we take it to South France in summer :slight_smile:

Santa:
Unsurprisingly the best PCP deals are on cars with the best resale price at the end of the contract. When you look at the price, be sure to add up all of the costs over the whole contract, to compare with financing an outright purchase. I saw somewhere that the Skoda Yeti is one of the top five in this respect.

With PCP, you only have to pay the difference between the purchase price and the residual price plus the interest on the outstanding balance.- this is what makes those deals look so attractive. As mentioned above, the “fair wear and tear” terms are what catch many people out at the contract end. Of course, you can avoid this by choosing the option to purchase.

I have seen how they inspect cars and you might be amazed at the dents, dings, chips and scrapes they will find, they you were not even aware of. They will also check for any substandard repairs that may have been done. Think what it’s like when you return a hire car in Spain after a fortnight.

Regarding fair wear & tear issue I assume this will be stated in contract, otherwise it will be up to a judge to decide in small claims.

truckyboy:
Your choice, there are some good deals to be had, but when you hand it back, thats it…Personally, i would prefer H/P…at least its yours after 3/4 years…it neednt be a new one, maybe 2/3 years old so thats the route i would take. Look at it like a house, would you rather rent, or buy ■■

PCP will always be the cheaper payment per month. Buying a car on HP has no upside to it, it might be yours after 3/4 years but whats it actually worth after that period? In a lot of cases it would have depreciated a lot more than what a PCP’s 36 monthly payments would cost this is the reason HP has taken a massive downturn compared to PCP deals. Buying a 3year old+ car also has its pitfalls, theres no manufacturers warranty left and this is at the point many will require money spent on them. I got my Caymen on PCP a few months back, after working out depreciation and payment figures paying by HP was a total waste of money, plus anything that goes wrong costs me nothing unlike a used car on HP…

teatime:

Juddian:
Ling, as linked to above, has a good reputation for fair dealing.

As a one time customer many years ago I feel I must tell you this,
Call her, I dare you to , ask a straight question, tell her what you want and you will get an answer straight away, none of the " I’ll have to ask the boss" stuff , she is the boss and can explain everything until you fully understand. Oh and hopefully still as mad as a box of frogs. Look at this lingscars.com/webcams.php then compare with a main stealer…
try

I got a Galaxy on contract hire from Ling a few years ago. She’s mad but you know she’s being honest etc.
She is big on customers reviews have a look at her website. I didn’t go to the trouble of writing a review so she sent me a pack of Chinese sweets and a letter asking if I would leave a review.
A week later she sent me another pack of Chinese sweets asking me to leave a review with hand written note inside saying ‘If you don’t leave me review I keep sending you crap Chinese sweets - don’t make Chinese lady mad’ made me laugh so I left a review!

I no a man who leases a bmw x6 he got it because of the cheap payments but in December he found out it was cheap because of the low miles he could do and he had passed the amount so it’s been parked up for 4 months but he’s still paying while driving round in a old Ford ka

Hi, it’s Ling :slight_smile:

cts, thanks for the comments! Hope you “enjoyed” the sweets, glad you like my office webcam, I am converting it to live streaming, very soon.

Mac12, this mileage thing (within the car industry) is a problem. I advertise all my cars at 10,000 miles a year and just 3x initial payments, but to show “cheap” prices MANY others advertise cars at silly low mileages like 6,000 and show 6x or often 9x initial payments. they think it fools people into thinking the rentals are lower. Seems it worked with the chap who lease a BMW X6.

• Ling

LINGsCARS:

cts, thanks for the comments! Hope you “enjoyed” the sweets, glad you like my office webcam, I am converting it to live streaming, very soon.

Mac12, this mileage thing (within the car industry) is a problem. I advertise all my cars at 10,000 miles a year and just 3x initial payments, but to show “cheap” prices MANY others advertise cars at silly low mileages like 6,000 and show 6x or often 9x initial payments. they think it fools people into thinking the rentals are lower. Seems it worked with the chap who lease a BMW X6.

• Ling

Yes i have noticed yours seems to be the only company giving prices for cars even up to 20000 miles on your web site, it’s something i will be looking at when i need to change my car

I’m looking at leasing as well at the moment. Looks a good way forward. My credit rating is the only issue though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dani1972 - Yes, you need a good credit score, I’m afraid.

Beware companies who claim to do “sub-prime”, this can be A FORTUNE. Far better to put effort into building up your score (easier said than done usually).

Good luck. Tip: Buy everything on a proper CREDIT card, and pay it off in full every month. That really helps as the rating agencies see your regular payments. Don’t let ANY bill become overdue.

• Ling

dozy:
Are you sure a juke is suitable for a business :question: , I’m on my 2 nd one and even though the boot is meant too be bigger on later one its still not very big , that said I rarely see it as either daughter ( mainly ) and Mrs always have it :unamused:

Our Nismo RS fits a pram, 5 carrier bags and all the baby stuff. It is abit like Tetris though!

LINGsCARS:
dani1972 - Yes, you need a good credit score, I’m afraid.

Beware companies who claim to do “sub-prime”, this can be A FORTUNE. Far better to put effort into building up your score (easier said than done usually).

Good luck. Tip: Buy everything on a proper CREDIT card, and pay it off in full every month. That really helps as the rating agencies see your regular payments. Don’t let ANY bill become overdue.

• Ling

The credit score unfortunately came from when I was self employed a few years ago. My landlady has offered to be a guarantor for me so I’m hoping to get round it that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LINGsCARS:

• Ling

Enter Dipper Dave in 3… 2…1…

I paid cash for my Merc but you aren’t going to find many 24 year olds (at time of purchase) with £25K knocking about without being drug dealers.