Is there a skill shortage in HGV drivers?

Winseer:
Let’s hear from someone ON THIS BOARD who’s just taken a sub-£8ph job please.

Maybe you need to check out the Newbie forum a bit then…

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144776

This isn’t uncommon!

ATsimpson:
Hi people,

I’m currently completing my university dissertation on 'UK HGV driver skill shortages…

So, from the top down in the industry along with MPs from all parts of the UK, say it is clear there is a huge shortage of qualified LGV Drivers. Even more challenging for the industry is the lack of experienced LGV drivers.

Almost every employer in this sector is finding both recruitment and retainment challenging and costly.

This pressure on employers has created a large demand for casual and agency drivers to cover absences, holiday leave and gaps in full staffing cover. These matters are constantly made loud and clear across wide sections of the industry.

To deal with these issues, many large companies have been actively advertising for drivers in other parts of the EU, companies like Downtons, Stobarts, XPO along with hundreds of others have recruited huge numbers of agency and foreign drivers.

Very concerning is that with Brexit just around the corner, and the potential impact this is likely to have on the UK, combined with the value of Sterling already in rapid decline, it is predicted than many of the migrant workers will become more transient, choosing to leave the UK for the economic benefits of being paid in Euros or other currency, these as well as the social benefits being made to feel more valued, welcome and secure.

As for so called ‘Newbie’ drivers struggling to find positions: This is nothing new, although finding a job as a newly qualified driver will potentially require a little more effort than it could be expected of the experienced. Not least of the challenges is finding ‘good’ employers who have insurance policies that will cover them. Add to that the natural concerns many companies have with regards to damage of vehicles/cargo and reputations. That said, a new driver who is willing to ‘go the extra mile’ so as to speak… is much more likely to find a position faster if they are not excessively self-limiting due to their own strict personal preferences.

This brings us to the reality of being an LGV Driver. Many entering the trade have misguided ideas about what the job entails. We work very long hours, with very few hours off, often away from our families. Add this to poor facilities, and terrible diets… it’s hardly the ideal job for everyone and certainly not an easy sell for the employer, especially when you consider the current high cost of becoming qualified… add this to health issues such as fatty liver, heart disease along with diabetes - hardly attractive selling points… but they are very common in our line of work.

There are many drivers who will tell you there is NO driver shortage. These are usually people who fear competition, lack self esteem and or confidence in a more competitive environment - and not without good personal reasons. If the boot was on the other foot… ‘an employers market’… it wouldn’t necessarily be the wages that suffer, it could just mean the less well capable would find it much more difficult to secure a good employer.

So, your survey result here will unfortunately be influenced along those lines. Although I’m guessing you have already worked that out.

What I would recommend is talking to employers… Direct contact has always been favoured in this industry, phone, email even show up where you can. Many company directors have been through academia, they understand only too well how important research is, in many cases they will be delighted to talk with you and answer your questions. Don’t be put off by the big names, they love PR & might even surprise you with their enthusiasm.

Jon.

Do you wear knee pads in front of your boss? :open_mouth:
As I guess you’re down there some time… :unamused:

So basically you’re saying we should be grateful for crap wages a little above minimum wages?
Even though you do list a few things that make the job unappealing to Newbies entering the industry, WHICH IS THE QUESTION!

Do you not understand the basic principles of supply and demand? :open_mouth:
When demand is low, prices are low. When demand is high, prices go up.
So bellend, have wages gone up? :neutral_face:

No, I didn’t think so, and as such Newbies will choose other careers.
It’s not rocket science is it? :grimacing:

Even the powers that be admit there are plenty of licence holders, but surprise surprise, a lot have chose to leave the industry as it’s gone to crap and have realised there are better options out there, where the reward is more in tune with the effort. :cry:

So in summary, does someone pay thousands to earn a pittance and do crap hours, or do they choose another path?
Even you can work that one out… :wink:

Jingle Jon:
This pressure on employers has created a large demand for casual and agency drivers to cover absences, holiday leave and gaps in full staffing cover. These matters are constantly made loud and clear across wide sections of the industry.

To deal with these issues, many large companies have been actively advertising for drivers in other parts of the EU, companies like Downtons, Stobarts, XPO along with hundreds of others have recruited huge numbers of agency and foreign drivers.

I find a problem with this. When I started driving in 2003 there was a shortage. Instead of advertising overseas you’d see adverts for real companies in the paper. Sure, there was agency work but the bulk was work for real firms. And at similar rates in my area (Lincs) as today. There wasn’t just adverts from agencies “filling the gaps”. This is balderdash. If they’re really short, they’d advertise real jobs on home shores. What they’re short of is people willing to work permanently for 2003 wages.

Evil8Beezle:
Do you wear knee pads in front of your boss? :open_mouth:
As I guess you’re down there some time… :unamused:

So basically you’re saying we should be grateful for crap wages a little above minimum wages?
Even though you do list a few things that make the job unappealing to Newbies entering the industry, WHICH IS THE QUESTION!

Do you not understand the basic principles of supply and demand? :open_mouth:
When demand is low, prices are low. When demand is high, prices go up.
So bellend, have wages gone up? :neutral_face:

No, I didn’t think so, and as such Newbies will choose other careers.
It’s not rocket science is it? :grimacing:

Even the powers that be admit there are plenty of licence holders, but surprise surprise, a lot have chose to leave the industry as it’s gone to crap and have realised there are better options out there, where the reward is more in tune with the effort. :cry:

So in summary, does someone pay thousands to earn a pittance and do crap hours, or do they choose another path?
Even you can work that one out… :wink:

You might find this useful: goo.gl/jkh2Qz

Freight Dog:

Jingle Jon:

I find a problem with this. When I started driving in 2003 there was a shortage. Instead of advertising overseas you’d see adverts for real companies in the paper. Sure, there was agency work but the bulk was work for real firms. And at similar rates in my area (Lincs) as today. There wasn’t just adverts from agencies “filling the gaps”. This is balderdash. If they’re really short, they’d advertise real jobs on home shores. What they’re short of is people willing to work permanently for 2003 wages.

Thing is, the best place for recruitment has changed since then. You’ll find plenty of job ads online and with agencies.

The day of ink is about over.

Jingle Jon:
You might find this useful: goo.gl/jkh2Qz

Thanks sweetie, but I don’t take personal recommendations. :smiley:

And you never did answer me on why you do adrenaline sports if you have no fear.
I’m sure you can grasp the fault with the logic of that. :confused:
Personally I just think you’re a liar! :unamused:

Jingle Jon:

Freight Dog:

Jingle Jon:

Thing is, the best place for recruitment has changed since then. You’ll find plenty of job ads online and with agencies.

Yes but you’re missing my point by a mile, it doesn’t matter whether it’s ink or carrier pigeon. If there was a shortage my above applies. The percentage adverts nowadays is vast amount agency on home shores. Compared with 2003 when it was all real jobs. And as for going overseas. It seems a case of agencies on home shores to fill the gap whilst mugs are found elsewhere to work for naff money

There’s certainly no shortage of HGV Drivers with a 2:1… Accurately reflective of a secretly redundant society…

sdg1970:
There’s certainly no shortage of HGV Drivers with a 2:1… Accurately reflective of a secretly redundant society…

What about the ones with a 1st? :laughing: I never went to uni myself. I actually jacked in my A-levels. The school were not happy :laughing:

Freight Dog:
And as for going overseas. It seems a case of agencies on home shores to fill the gap whilst mugs are found elsewhere to work for naff money

And this is probably what the industry bosses are getting scared of, as they’ve pretty much exhausted this cheap supply, and the tap may well be soon turned off. They’ve been more than happy to exploit it to their own ends so far, and thus the potential problem of a driver shortage is 100% of their own making, so F em! :imp:

But you’re wasting your time talking to Mr solipsistic, he doesn’t know he’s a ■■■■■■…

Freight Dog:

Jingle Jon:

Freight Dog:

Jingle Jon:

Yes but you’re missing my point by a mile, it doesn’t matter whether it’s ink or carrier pigeon. If there was a shortage my above applies. The percentage adverts nowadays is vast amount agency on home shores. Compared with 2003 when it was all real jobs. And as for going overseas. It seems a case of agencies on home shores to fill the gap whilst mugs are found elsewhere to work for naff money

All companies have financial targets / restrictions to work with. Some times it is just much more cost effective to recruit through an agency. It’s also been a practice of selection since I started in the industry… 1978. It should not be ignored that since both you and I started in the industry the number of drivers has increased massively… the supply has simply become exhausted.

Most Haulage Companies have a recruitment page on their website and advertise through many of the recruitment portals… including .gov etc.

Something you see ‘nowadays’ that I never saw in the past, was companies advertising recruitment lines on their vehicles. Some have even set up their own dedicated recruitment websites and some have even set up their own recruitment agency - and of course social media etc… there is though much controversy over the in-house agency and the Government are making a lot of noise about this issue.

To deny there is a driver shortage is a bit like trying to argue the world is flat… everyone knows it’s round and everyone in the haulage sector knows there is a genuine shortage of drivers.

It should also be noted by the OP, that not everyone who drives or operates a truck/s is in the haulage sector.

Freight Dog:

sdg1970:

What about the ones with a 1st? :laughing: I never went to uni myself. I actually jacked in my A-levels. The school were not happy :laughing:

I met a Polish fork lift truck driver with a Masters in philosophy at B&Q in Swindon. Made for a refreshing change to meet a FLT Ops who could communicate in a common language. :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Freight Dog:
And as for going overseas. It seems a case of agencies on home shores to fill the gap whilst mugs are found elsewhere to work for naff money

And this is probably what the industry bosses are getting scared of, as they’ve pretty much exhausted this cheap supply, and the tap may well be soon turned off. They’ve been more than happy to exploit it to their own ends so far, and thus the potential problem of a driver shortage is 100% of their own making, so F em! :imp:

But you’re wasting your time talking to Mr solipsistic, he doesn’t know he’s a ■■■■■■…

Exactly Evil. The agricultural sector have been singing this bloody song for years. The endless TV news shorts chatting to some poor farm owner or such whining about “no wants to work here”. What they always fail to admit is they’re short of people to work for crap pay. Because they and everyone have been dining at the cup of cheap global labour for so long that’s all their customers will provision for with the rates they offer. No one company is to blame, it’s the system. They’re all guilty. It’s what happens with unbridled capitalism.

Jingle Jon:

ATsimpson:
Hi people,

I’m currently completing my university dissertation on 'UK HGV driver skill shortages…

So, from the top down in the industry along with MPs from all parts of the UK, say it is clear there is a huge shortage of qualified LGV Drivers. Even more challenging for the industry is the lack of experienced LGV drivers.

Almost every employer in this sector is finding both recruitment and retainment challenging and costly.

Very concerning is that with Brexit just around the corner, and the potential impact this is likely to have on the UK, combined with the value of Sterling already in rapid decline, it is predicted than many of the migrant workers will become more transient, choosing to leave the UK for the economic benefits of being paid in Euros or other currency, these as well as the social benefits being made to feel more valued, welcome and secure.

As for so called ‘Newbie’ drivers struggling to find positions: This is nothing new, although finding a job as a newly qualified driver will potentially require a little more effort than it could be expected of the experienced. Not least of the challenges is finding ‘good’ employers who have insurance policies that will cover them. Add to that the natural concerns many companies have with regards to damage of vehicles/cargo and reputations. That said, a new driver who is willing to ‘go the extra mile’ so as to speak… is much more likely to find a position faster if they are not excessively self-limiting due to their own strict personal preferences.

This brings us to the reality of being an LGV Driver. Many entering the trade have misguided ideas about what the job entails. We work very long hours, with very few hours off, often away from our families. Add this to poor facilities, and terrible diets… it’s hardly the ideal job for everyone and certainly not an easy sell for the employer, especially when you consider the current high cost of becoming qualified… add this to health issues such as fatty liver, heart disease along with diabetes - hardly attractive selling points… but they are very common in our line of work.

There are many drivers who will tell you there is NO driver shortage. These are usually people who fear competition, lack self esteem and or confidence in a more competitive environment - and not without good personal reasons. If the boot was on the other foot… ‘an employers market’… it wouldn’t necessarily be the wages that suffer, it could just mean the less well capable would find it much more difficult to secure a good employer.

So, your survey result here will unfortunately be influenced along those lines. Although I’m guessing you have already worked that out.

What I would recommend is talking to employers… Direct contact has always been favoured in this industry, phone, email even show up where you can. Many company directors have been through academia, they understand only too well how important research is, in many cases they will be delighted to talk with you and answer your questions. Don’t be put off by the big names, they love PR & might even surprise you with their enthusiasm.

Jon.

Make your mind up.One minute you’re saying that there’s a driver shortage.The next you’re saying that prospective job seekers ‘fear’ competition in a more ‘competitive’ labour market environment.Which actually just confirms the real agenda which is all about the employers being the one’s who fear a labour market environment which closes the door to cheap imported labour.On that note I’m guessing that the job adverts in question in ‘other’ parts of the EU/EEA aren’t placed in places like Germany and Switzerland and Scandinavia as opposed to taking maximimum advantage of desperate downtrodden low wage expectation East Euro labour.

When what job seekers here have the right to expect is at least similar as their Australian,NZ and Canadian and US counterparts get.In the form of a strictly controlled labour market in which if it wants to import labour it has to ‘prove’ that there is a ‘need’ for it.

With both the local indigenous work force not being prepared to accept a race to the bottom open door labour market.Or the present situation of employers not being able to prove that the job can’t be filled by indigenous labour,given a fair wage and removal the ‘experience’ barrier,not fitting the definition of ‘need’ in this case.As opposed to an artificially created,race to the bottom,employers’ labour market.Which,bearing in mind the importance of the transport industry employment sector,will ultimately just have the counter productive effect,of reducing economic growth in the economy even more than that same economic illiteracy has done so far if it isn’t stopped.

Freight Dog:

sdg1970:

Guilty as charged - there’s something I quite like about being over educated and under-skilled. Bit like Bill Foster from ‘Falling Down’…

Freight Dog:
It’s what happens with unbridled capitalism.

It’s basically the donkey pulling the cart.

Tenders are put in etc… wages are measured against that.

Truth of the matter is… most truck drivers couldn’t earn more than they do doing anything else - otherwise they would.

There’s also real regional issues.

sdg1970:

Freight Dog:

sdg1970:

Guilty as charged - there’s something I quite like about being over educated and under-skilled. Bit like Bill Foster from ‘Falling Down’…

:smiley:
Ah what’s your 1st in? I wish I could’ve experience just the craic and girls.

Freight Dog:

sdg1970:

Freight Dog:

sdg1970:

:smiley:
Ah what’s your 1st in? I wish I could’ve experience just the craic and girls.

Maritime Studies. Then after not getting on VLCC’ s as a cadet, I happily dropped out and carried on regardless - I now live on the canal with all the other dropouts and loonies who reject mortgage slavery and having kids etc, etc…

Freight Dog:
Exactly Evil. The agricultural sector have been singing this bloody song for years. The endless TV news shorts chatting to some poor farm owner or such whining about “no wants to work here”. What they always fail to admit is they’re short of people to work for crap pay. Because they and everyone have been dining at the cup of cheap global labour for so long that’s all their customers will provision for with the rates they offer. No one company is to blame, it’s the system. They’re all guilty. It’s what happens with unbridled capitalism.

I couldn’t agree more, but the world now is built on sound bites! :cry:
And with regard the farmers, we hear of prices rises in the shops in an attempt to scare the public. Well I say bring it on, the capitalist world needs to wake up to the fact that when you’re down to the bone, you can’t keep carving… :unamused: