Is it easy to gain employment with criminal conviction

paulkendo75:
yes im still on prison license for another 11 months

Sorry, I missed this on my first read. Unfortunately your conviction is still classed as unspent and employers can use this as an excuse not to employ you although many won’t. As it’s a violent offence, again, most will not be too put off by that. Theft of any kind might be another story.

The rules regarding spent convictions changed a few years ago and they now become spent much quicker than before. The reason I asked the length of your conviction is because that relates to how quick your conviction becomes spent.

Click here for details on how long your unspent period will last.

Remember, most employers in our line of work will only be able to require you to provide a Basic CRB check. This will not show up unspent conviction and as such, you can lie to future employers about having a record. Yes, I said lie, this is your right under the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act. Employers need a good excuse to require Standard or Enhanced CRBs and will usually need to involve working with children or vulnerable adults.

Yes. My convictions are spent anyway so I don’t declare them at all. I have a good, say 9/10 success rate at interview.

Out of 20 or so interviews I’ve had over the last few years, maybe 2 or 3 have asked why the 12 year gap in employment and out of those, not one asked what I did time for. Maybe they didn’t care? Maybe they were uncomfortable asking?

Out of the couple that did ask, I was offered the job anyway.

It is up to the employer to decide what criteria they want to see in their prospective employees.

If I were a boss, I’d be more likely to offer a job to some geezer who told me about their previous conviction, especially a spent one at interview.

If they said they had none, and then I found some - No job offer!

If they said they had one, for a “crime” that I would actually disapprove of (Eg. theft from fellow staff, or PG9-type traffic violations) - No job offer.

If it were a conviction for assault, for punching some burglar’s lights out who was looting through their previous boss’s stuff - then I’d make him my new chief of security at once! :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

Winseer:
It is up to the employer to decide what criteria they want to see in their prospective employees.

If I were a boss, I’d be more likely to offer a job to some geezer who told me about their previous conviction, especially a spent one at interview.

If they said they had none, and then I found some - No job offer!

If they said they had one, for a “crime” that I would actually disapprove of (Eg. theft from fellow staff, or PG9-type traffic violations) - No job offer.

If it were a conviction for assault, for punching some burglar’s lights out who was looting through their previous boss’s stuff - then I’d make him my new chief of security at once! :stuck_out_tongue:

Terry T:

paulkendo75:
yes im still on prison license for another 11 months

Sorry, I missed this on my first read. Unfortunately your conviction is still classed as unspent and employers can use this as an excuse not to employ you although many won’t. As it’s a violent offence, again, most will not be too put off by that. Theft of any kind might be another story.

The rules regarding spent convictions changed a few years ago and they now become spent much quicker than before. The reason I asked the length of your conviction is because that relates to how quick your conviction becomes spent.

Click here for details on how long your unspent period will last.

Remember, most employers in our line of work will only be able to require you to provide a Basic CRB check. This will not show up unspent conviction and as such, you can lie to future employers about having a record. Yes, I said lie, this is your right under the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act. Employers need a good excuse to require Standard or Enhanced CRBs and will usually need to involve working with children or vulnerable adults.

thanks for your advice i have to declare it for 7 years im on strict license conditions i ■■■■ about i straight back inside
so i have to declare it once my 11 months is up well ten and half now il just tick no convictions :smiley:

paulkendo75:
thanks for your advice i have to declare it for 7 years im on strict license conditions i ■■■■ about i straight back inside
so i have to declare it once my 11 months is up well ten and half now il just tick no convictions :smiley:

That’s not quite right. You can only declare no convictions once it’s classed as unspent. It becomes spent after a set period depending on the length of the sentence which counts down from the day you come out the slammer.

If you click the link it’ll tell you how long it will be before you can declare you have no previous convictions.

Be aware, if the sentence was over 4 years long it’ll never be classed as spent.