Is HGV/LGV driving worth it?

DAF95XF:

truckerjimbo:
Is HGV/LGV driving actually worth It?

NO ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!

Its the lowest of lowest job in the world.

You get more repsect and less stress working for mcdonalds and I don`t the truck drivers deliving the food.

Anyone who wants to pay £1000`s of there own cash to become a LGV driver needs there HEAD READ!!!

Thats my 2p worth.

Thanks

Jimbo

You really want to try bus driving then…

Take it from me - - - he doesn`t !!! :angry:

You might have a struggle to find a job that suits you and nobody can say what will suit you and what’s the best driving job as they can be so different.

But if you can get yourself something that you like you certainly won’t regret it.

russjp:

You’re right - after today Im having doubts if I want to continue doing it :frowning:
Pulled up at a bus stop and a bloke gets on, threatens me then punches me, luckily it was a glancing blow and no damage caused.
I report it to the police who turn up and do their bit with me and then they go to look at the bus CCTV footage…except the cameras had stopped worked monthes ago - not bad for a 56 reg bus… :unamused:
To make matters worse, one of the managers still wanted me and the bus to go back out again… :open_mouth: :smiling_imp:

DAF95XF:
You’re right - after today Im having doubts if I want to continue doing it :frowning:
Pulled up at a bus stop and a bloke gets on, threatens me then punches me, luckily it was a glancing blow and no damage caused.
I report it to the police who turn up and do their bit with me and then they go to look at the bus CCTV footage…except the cameras had stopped worked monthes ago - not bad for a 56 reg bus… :unamused:
To make matters worse, one of the managers still wanted me and the bus to go back out again… :open_mouth: :smiling_imp:

Didn’t the bus you drive have a security screen ?

jamis:

It did, but you cant hear anybody talk to you with it up, but as of now it’ll be used…

jamis:

DAF95XF:

Thats one of the reasons I gave it up. Never got punched but was threatened a few times.

oh and the company I drove for didn’t believe in security screens…not customer friendly they said. :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused:

russjp:

DAF95XF:

truckerjimbo:

NO ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!

You get more repsect and less stress working for mcdonalds and I don`t the truck drivers deliving the food.

Anyone who wants to pay £1000`s of there own cash to become a LGV driver needs there HEAD READ!!!

Thats my 2p worth.

Thanks

Jimbo

take it from me aswell bus driving is a load of ■■■■ :imp: :imp: :imp: i should know thats why i am tring to get my lgv licence :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

bigbob:

russjp:

DAF95XF:

truckerjimbo:

NO ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!

Thats my 2p worth.

Thanks

Jimbo

take it from me aswell bus driving is a load of [zb] :imp: :imp: :imp: i should know thats why i am tring to get my lgv licence :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thats exactly why i`m doing mine - 6 years of hell must end :imp: :imp:

Well Ive been driving buses for the last 2 1/2 months. Although I am not enjoying working saturdays and sundays I find the work itself not too bad . Maybe as time goes on and I get some grief that will change .Only problem I have with kids is them keep ringing the bloody bell!!! . One drunk last night who puked up on the bus .Didnt bother me…in fact it was a result as the bus had to be taken off the road and I got an early finish.

Yeah, midweek I have to work 11 1/2 hr shifts(occasionally) ,albeit with a 3 hour meal break, but I bring home £400 for that which isnt too bad. Yes, I do get people who dont want to pay their fare . I call them back, if they ignore me, they get a free ride .Its the revenue protection inspectors job to sort them out ,not mine.

<<< Is Bus Driver of 3 1/2 years! Now 21 years old, been doing it since I was 18 - the youngest you can get a PCV licence (except for Armed Forces, which is 17). I have never been assaulted to this date, and I prefer buses with no security screens, even when doing Late shifts!

It’s all down to the person - I hate security screens as it reflects everything behind you so you canny see your n/s mirror, you can’t hear what the punters want and it sometimes creates more problems than what it tries to solve.

I have got my C+E now (April 12th) but I’m hopefully gonna join a coach company soon and do National Express (Distress) work - fancy the change!

Although I have the LGV licence I still fancy giving the PCV side of things a go, once I’ve extinguished myself on the coaches I’ll then prob try to get on the Trucks!

Richard
:slight_smile:

Regarding the bus driving thingy… I wouldn’t fancy it. I recently had to use a Bus (my car is still off the road) and I watched the Bus driver with much interest. He looked fed up and stressed out. We stopped at one stop and about 3 adults and 4 children got on all at once. They was together but the kids went and sat down whilst the adult paid. He got out of his cab and went to count the children saying we aren’t a bloody charity. He obviously thought they was trying to rip him off. We then proceeded until about 5 stops later, He stopped the Bus and came over to the passengers yelling saying that he had overchanged someone who gave him a twenty pound note and who was it. By this time I got up and got off the bus (mine was the next stop) He apologised to me but I felt sorry for the bloke even though he was very unpleasant with his attitude. If he carries on like that he will have an heart attack.

As for my car being off the road…I have bought a new one. Pick it up on Wed morning before I goto work. Been borrowing my mates F reg ASTRA. It has 370.000 miles on the clock and its the original engine lol but its been a god send whilst I get my new one. I’m selling the Volvo that broke down on me.

Anyway no chance of me Bus driving I’d rather shovel ■■■ in hell for eternity :smiley:

The difference with buses is you don’t shovel ■■■, you pick it up!!!

Richard

if there is an after-life then wouldnt it be justice that every scum-bag thats ever given a bus-driver grief ends up driving a bus in hell! with the added bonus of recieving a red hot poker shoved into the ‘waste disposal plant’ every time a passenger gets on,never driven em myself but have had the mis-fortune of having to use public transport on as few occasions as i have to,it just seems to me that 90% of passengers are as mad as march hares :imp: :imp: :imp:

Personally I think they should create a route that services EVERY Council Estate in the city possible, and have that route reserved for people that are given “Community Service” orders…they’d soon snap-up!

Richard

Had a very interesting wee chat with a Class 2 driver yesterday. Told me his company paid their Class 1 drivers only 20 pence an hour more than those that held C licences! Also told me that 7.5t drivers only got a few coppers an hour less!

The rate he mentioned certainly made taking the C test worthwhile - even if I was only working part time I would recoup the costs within 9 months.

Does start to make me wonder if going for the full blown C+E is worth the hassle…

ive had a few second thoughts concerning class 1 myself,as one driver i spoke to recently put it ‘you get to drive a bigger truck for a bit more money’,the advantage of having it on your licence even if you dont choose to use it is simply that it makes you more employable in the driving industry with full en-titlement.I drive a 28ft box-sleeper around London and Kent all week and thats hairy!When i watch the boys on the big toys,pulling 45ft trailers around it still amazes me how they manage it!,im still taking my class 1because i know that in a year or two i will be either doing europeon work hopefully,or living in Ireland ive got duel citizenship and i really want out of this country now,not a nice thing to say about your home land but its finished as a great country now. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

When it gets to the question of whether to go from a C licence to a C+E licence, or not, I would say, go for it if you can.
The amount of work you are able to do, holding a C+E licence increases enormously compared to only(?) a C licence.
There is still all the C work, plus all the C+E work.
If you only hold a C licence and the C work dries up for a bit, you’re stuck with no work. If you’ve got C+E, you can do that instead.

Buses I wouldn’t drive at all. I did a bit of that as an army driver and that was bad enough. At least most forces passengers were happy to be on a bus instead of marching there, so behaved themselves most of the time.

SalTheWop:
but I bring home £400 for that which isnt too bad.

Bloody hell, what company do you drive for then… :open_mouth:
Im lucky to get £250, thats why I need to do a lot of overtime… :open_mouth:

If you’ve got the patients to sit in traffic jams, take abuse from other road users, get grief from customers because you’re two minutes late, get ear ache from that jumped up 18 yr old college boy/girl in the office because you’re late, or got the wrong collect/delivery details which they probably gave you in the first place, want to sit in RDC’s for hours and hours getting fobbed off with excuses as to why. Then you get one of those days when you know why you enjoy the work, clear roads (not very often), quick tips/collections, great weather, and the rarest of them all…Thank you from the boss…priceless!!!
I think if you needed to ask the question you are not sure. We are a strange breed, a special breed, and don’t be afraid of looking stupid in front of experienced drivers, ask for advice, it’s better than messing up completely.
Good luck kid

OK, here’s my two pence worth.

Within the parameters of the job in hand, I start when I feel like it. I go whichever way I want and stop for breakfast, dinner etc whenever and wherever I want.

If I get tired, I even have a bed to have a snooze on.

If it’s hot, I wear shorts and a T shirt, if it’s cold I wear jeans and my favourite baggy jumper.

I have my work environment at whatever temperature I choose and 99% of my job consists of listening to CDs and the radio and watching scenery roll by.

So I don’t mind it. Those who do seem simply not to have found the right job yet.