Is 57 too old to come back to driving?

albion:
[
OP, to be clear, I employ on recommendation usually and a combination of personality and attitude. I’m not bothered if you are 20 or 57.

Good luck with your job hunt.

So the OP is to old for your company as they said they are 58. :wink:

Edit. Just noticed the OP said they were 57 in the title but 58 in the post, dementia has set in.

The op was a little ambiguous… starting with is he too old?

And ending with can he find work?

I know in my trade, the old boys don’t even apply. But if the job is mainly driving then I don’t see the problem…

The older driver is less likely to be distracted by his phone, laptop or case of Zywiec!

Good luck, not that you’ll need it.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

If you’ve been out of the game since 08, stand by for a culture shock and a reality check. :bulb:
Traffic is evil, other road users hate you and the standard of truck driving amongst many of your fellow drivers compared to then and before, is ■■■■ poor… to say the least . :neutral_face:

Be aware, very few fellow truckers let you out/in anymore, and beware of those who try and take off your mirrors after (almost) overtaking you. :imp:
Apparentlly flashing in is now old fashioned and rarely recognised amongst our new age ‘‘truckers’’. as they, quote;… ‘‘don’t need it as they know exactly where the back of their trailer is’’ :unamused: (but prove they don’t everytime they ■■■■ cut you up :smiling_imp: )

Empathy, courtesy and consideration has been cut by 70% or so, since you last drove a truck, and the d/head contingent with Class 1s is rife…
Good luck with it. :laughing:

don’t forget,theres apparently a driver shortage.

robroy:
If you’ve been out of the game since 08, stand by for a culture shock and a reality check. :bulb:
Traffic is evil, other road users hate you and the standard of truck driving amongst many of your fellow drivers compared to then and before, is ■■■■ poor… to say the least . :neutral_face:

Be aware, very few fellow truckers let you out/in anymore, and beware of those who try and take off your mirrors after (almost) overtaking you. :imp:
Apparentlly flashing in is now old fashioned and rarely recognised amongst our new age ‘‘truckers’’. as they, quote;… ‘‘don’t need it as they know exactly where the back of their trailer is’’ :unamused: (but prove they don’t everytime they [zb] cut you up :smiling_imp: )

Empathy, courtesy and consideration has been cut by 70% or so, since you last drove a truck, and the d/head contingent with Class 1s is rife…

+1
Not forgetting cpc, beancounters, telematics, load security and generally being treated like something you scrape off the bottom of your shoes.

Hope I never have to go back to it :frowning:

stevegm3:
Not forgetting cpc, beancounters, telematics, load security and generally being treated like something you scrape off the bottom of your shoes.

Hope I never have to go back to it :frowning:

Yes, there’s no doubt about it, the OP will find that the job has completely gone down the toilet since he’s been away, but the question asked was would he get a start and I’d say he would.

Whilst a lot of things have changed, our man will find that the pay is just about the same as ten , nay , :stuck_out_tongue: twenty years ago.

Before I got sidelined (Just for a while) by DVLA I had a firm offer of a job and I´m older than the OP. Older even than Harry Monk who is but a spring chicken in comparison, and he´s far better looking too, the ■■■■■■■ :smiley:

I retired when i was 69 and a 1/2 then the firm called me just after i turned 70 wanting to know if i’d come back so don’t think 57 is too old, good luck driver.

robroy:

Apparentlly flashing in is now old fashioned and rarely recognised amongst our new age ‘‘truckers’’. as they, quote;… ‘‘don’t need it as they know exactly where the back of their trailer is’’ :unamused: (but prove they don’t everytime they [zb] cut you up :smiling_imp: )

Hate to say this but you are totally spot on with what you say. Thank goodness it’s all over for me. Been in Holland the last couple of weeks. Wonderful absolutely wonderful. :smiley:

Not too old but are you sure you want to spend a werk doing the 35 hours cpc (could make your job seem interesting).

As for the job, almost everything gone auto gearboxes which isn’t good if its a merc but is if you have a Volvo.

If you want to rope and sheet there are still some companies who do that but god knows why. Personally I’d stick with boxes and fridges then no curtains or straps either. The ministry are still after your hide too.

Theres loads of us whipper snaper steering wheel attendents out there to annoy Robroy. :smiley:

Hi I ve just gone back to trucking after ten years of urban bus driving I m 68 and have a Canadian version of trade plating delivering new Volvo trucks so far no problems work is a bit scarce right now but that should improve in a month or so. This is strickly on call part time no touch freight because there isn’t any. wayne Robinson formerly coalville leicestershire

mrginge:

albion:
[
OP, to be clear, I employ on recommendation usually and a combination of personality and attitude. I’m not bothered if you are 20 or 57.

Good luck with your job hunt.

So the OP is to old for your company as they said they are 58. :wink:

Edit. Just noticed the OP said they were 57 in the title but 58 in the post, dementia has set in.

Lol, well spotted regards the age discrepancy, thing is i am so slow at typing that I was 57 when I started typing the post that I had another birthday before I’d finished :smiley:

Thanks to all for the responses and encouragement. :grimacing: :smiley:

robroy:

I think all this knocking on younger drivers is over the top. I could write a long list of stuff ‘old boys’ do which isn’t great either. Including refusing to use air suspension and caking the catwalk with grease from the 5th wheel!

I had one today. Went to cross the road - there was a line of cars parked at a red light. And a truck coming about 200m away. So I crossed near the back of the cars. Driver who was mid 60’s I think came plowing towards me. Then rolled down his window. “Do you think I can stop this on a 10 pence piece”. The mid axle on the unit was up. So I had to tell him that I had a class 1 licence - if he struggled to stop from 30mph from that distance with next to no weight he needed retraining. It’s not like me - but I lost my temper with him. Also pointed out that he did stop so he should wind his neck in. He then had the audacity to tell me if i was class 1 I should know better.

No doubt that old fool will think “new drivers don’t know the job etc…” - the fact is he was a bully and had a big mouth. But he was too much of a coward to get out of the cab when someone stood up to him.

sammym:
The mid axle on the unit was up.

Whats the tug gotta do with it?

I know one driver at SK Haulage and he definitely over 70 and dtill do Euro job and stay in cab to many month.Yedterday i see him at the road.

not at all …what matters is wats in youre head im 59 soon and ill be doing exactly that after 34 years…

Gonna have to do a thread to find out who´s the oldest working driver on here! I am definitely in with a chance!

A friend of mine has just started back driving after being retired for at least 3/4 years gone back doing North Africa got bored laying around in the sun , rang his old boss up asked it he needed a driver who said sure does and walked into a brand new Volvo lorry, which was the only down side, would have preferred his old motor back, but so far all’s going well,
Tony Bradfield was 82 when he called it a day doing 2 Morocco’s a month, sadly didn’t last long after he retired…

Ossie