Insecure load? West Yorkshire Police think so

Hurryup&wait, you mentioned tautliners. Do you mean the original Boalloy Tautliner, or do you mean the generic tautliner term?

Reason I ask is because yet another DCPC wizard told us that the trademarked Boalloy product (which has been around since long before this XL stuff) was the only one that required no securing at all (though I’m not sure how a load of steel coils, for example, would get along) and you could just zip her up and go.

Thought I’d add to the confusion :smiley:

I’m not going to hold my breath, but maybe this is a good moment to stick together and get a few points across…

1. Accept the rules, and strap EVERY load with ratchets. If it may damage the load, such as stacked cans or bottles, cardboard packing, stop and ask for detailed instructions as how to secure the load. Don’t move untill you have either a written and signed instruction as how to secure the load, and a confirmation that the company will pay any fines you incur whilst the load is secured in the manner they instruct.
  2. Insist on a safe and suitable place to secure a load. The planner wouldn’t accept it if his desk was put outside in the wind and rain.
  3. If we are treated as incompetent children, behave as one. If we can’t be allowed to judge what is a safely secured load, ask for every load, and ask for signed confirmation (email/message a photo of the strapped load to the office and ask for a reply that confirms that the load is safely strapped).

We received a laminated A4 size instruction sheet outlining, with photos, how to strap loads of boxed wine. The instructions show a manner identical to the load in the O.P. (internals down side and cross the back pallets). I will ask for those for every load we carry.

the nodding donkey:
I’m not going to hold my breath, but maybe this is a good moment to stick together and get a few points across…

1. Accept the rules, and strap EVERY load with ratchets. If it may damage the load, such as stacked cans or bottles, cardboard packing, stop and ask for detailed instructions as how to secure the load. Don’t move untill you have either a written and signed instruction as how to secure the load, and a confirmation that the company will pay any fines you incur whilst the load is secured in the manner they instruct.
  2. Insist on a safe and suitable place to secure a load. The planner wouldn’t accept it if his desk was put outside in the wind and rain.
  3. If we are treated as incompetent children, behave as one. If we can’t be allowed to judge what is a safely secured load, ask for every load, and ask for signed confirmation (email/message a photo of the strapped load to the office and ask for a reply that confirms that the load is safely strapped).

We received a laminated A4 size instruction sheet outlining, with photos, how to strap loads of boxed wine. The instructions show a manner identical to the load in the O.P. (internals down side and cross the back pallets). I will ask for those for every load we carry.

Yeah, it might make companies fight back a bit when eveything is sitting for hours being strapped up. Like you though, doubt it’ll happen.

I mean, do we have load-bearing curtains or not. That is the bottom line.

Drempels:
Yeah, it might make companies fight back a bit when eveything is sitting for hours being strapped up. Like you though, doubt it’ll happen.

As I understand all curtains can bear some load but old tautliners (originals or copies :smiley: ) can bear very little, perhaps pallets of loo paper or sommat and of course we are only talking about positive fit loads ie max 8cm gap between load and curtain.

The trailer manufacturer will soon tell you what the load bearing capacity of your curtain is and how to load it. Look at the Cargobull UK site or Don Bur etc.
Iirc the side curtain has to be rated for 40% the weight of the load on full friction floor and a few other provisos as well.

If it is a positive fit load straps are almost never required with the proper curtain.

If it’s not positive fit then that’s a whole new ballgame and can be a bit of a pia sometimes.

As far as I know almost all the old VOSA stuff is out of date today and they are recently putting out all new stuff based I think on German or EU guides and regs.

Drempels:

the nodding donkey:

Didn’t all this strapping nonsense start in Germany in the first place?

robroy:
or God forbid… go back to Tilts. :open_mouth:

Thanks. Managed to blank them from my memory for 15 years. Now it’s all coming back . . .

Why not cover the load with a tarpaulin and rope in between the pallets :smiley: :smiley:

It would appear that DVSA/VOSA have taken on the challenge of “insecure” loads . Wheter this is seen as a problem in haulage or just a money making exercise is up for debate .
I have a soulution - Flat trailers or Boxvans/ fridges .
If it fits in a box or a fridge it ships , if it dosent it goes on a flat - roped and sheeted or strapped and chained. Curtainsiders - at least UK spec ones with no side boards are going to be made a thing of the past . VOSA /DVSA will just keep stopping and fining until companies realise its cheaper in the long run to either replace the curtainsider with a box or a "fancy curtainsider with 3-4 posts down each side with the aliminium boards inbetween and the fold down sides like the old tilts had .
https://www.cargobull.com/files/uk/filemanager_files//Neufahrzeuge/Curtainsider/Film_S_CS_UNIVERSAL_EN_klein_1.mp4

If you were to sheet it up and rope in between the pallets then it wouldn’t move but then you wouldn’t need the roof :smiley:

Yorkielad:
Pulled into Hartshead moor eastbound by the traffic cop that sits in the little slip as you come down the hill from jct 24 to 25 I reckon.
Pulls in front of you and sticks the follow me on,gets you into services then asks you to open it up,Speaking from experience :smiley:

As the inside of a trailer is effectively private property would they not require a warrant to have you open the curtains?

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Munchkin:

Yorkielad:
Pulled into Hartshead moor eastbound by the traffic cop that sits in the little slip as you come down the hill from jct 24 to 25 I reckon.
Pulls in front of you and sticks the follow me on,gets you into services then asks you to open it up,Speaking from experience :smiley:

As the inside of a trailer is effectively private property would they not require a warrant to have you open the curtains?

Please tell me this isn’t a serious question and if it is you really are in the wrong profession.

The fact is that palletised loads have been pulled pretty systemically without DVSA textbook restraint for decades on our roads with virtually no issues. It’s not really a big issue.

However…

If DVSA want to be serious about improving load security standards then they have to put the onus on the consignors. Put the ball in their court. If heavy loads are going to be strapped they need ratcheting down to the bed, but we can’t do that until the goods start getting packaged right & we are allowed somewhere decent on site to apply the straps.

I don’t know where it became acceptable practise to utilise internal roof straps as a means of restraining heavy pallets such as drink, but it’s a complete waste of time. Saw one lad doing it yesterday on 26 pallets of canned beer, may as well not bother, it’s just window dressing to make you look like you have made an effort. The things are only rated to 350kg and fastened to a flimsy rail ffs.

rob22888:
The fact is that palletised loads have been pulled pretty systemically without DVSA textbook restraint for decades on our roads with virtually no issues. It’s not really a big issue.

However…

If DVSA want to be serious about improving load security standards then they have to put the onus on the consignors. Put the ball in their court. If heavy loads are going to be strapped they need ratcheting down to the bed, but we can’t do that until the goods start getting packaged right & we are allowed somewhere decent on site to apply the straps.

I don’t know where it became acceptable practise to utilise internal roof straps as a means of restraining heavy pallets such as drink, but it’s a complete waste of time. Saw one lad doing it yesterday on 26 pallets of canned beer, may as well not bother, it’s just window dressing to make you look like you have made an effort. The things are only rated to 350kg and fastened to a flimsy rail ffs.

You do it because there fitted and you’ve probably signed something at work saying you’ll do it.
If anything happens and you haven’t done it them the company will pineapple you as well.

Yorkielad:

rob22888:

However…

You do it because there fitted and you’ve probably signed something at work saying you’ll do it.
If anything happens and you haven’t done it them the company will pineapple you as well.

Yes that’s from a company perspective but from a legal perspective he’s absolutely right. And yes the consignor should be responsible and pressure should be applied to them. In Germany the consignor bears some responsibility and not surprisingly most (there are exceptions) goods are provided fit for transit and the ability to be secured properly.

I pick up from a wine place in the North East fairly frequently who specify their products which weigh one tonne a pallet can’t be ratchet strapped but must have intervals. Similarly another place in the North East where I sometimes collect bottled water from say you mist use crossed internals. Use ratchets on either load and the load is spoiled. Use internals and its insufficient. And who is to blame? The driver of course…

Another vote from me for tilt type trailers and appropriate equipment such as corner boards to be supplied. The ones I’ve got I’ve wombled from various places over time so it’s not a matching set but they do the job.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Munchkin:

Yorkielad:

Please tell me this isn’t a serious question and if it is you really are in the wrong profession.

DVSA policy is to not check the interior of a trailer, unless they have reasonable grounds that there is an issue with the load, as in a bulge in the curtain, no bulges no issue, same as the police, but they can always ask politely to have a look, and you have the right to refuse their request.
Same when you get stopped, they don’t have an automatic right to get in the cab, they have to ask permission, and you have the right to refuse entry.
DVSA and the police would look very silly if they started arresting drivers for refusal to enter the vehicle without reasonable grounds.

I In have always thought that with our great industry, and the bods who supposed to be controlling it…would get together with bods of industry, and tell them…If you want your goods delivered in a safe and trusted, then wrapping home style cling film around the goods, just wont do it. Goods drivers need a secure wrapping and strapping to help hold the goods in place while its in transit, and a driver should have the right to refuse to load anything that’s doest look fit or safe.
Now its ok to say…F this…F that…pay the fine etc…butb it does go on your record, and a TC can call you in to ask why you keep getting fined, or why you have so many insecure loads, and that example as shown in the picture, is a total disgrace, had it been loaded correctly, it could have been strapped, or better still roped, had the driver had half a brain…but i have always said…if you want change in this industry, then fight for it.,.don’t load stuff that’s not suitable for loading, it has to be securely wrapped and strapped…prior to being loaded…its your responsibility and your licence and money.