HOW TO: Zip merging

ROG:

Carryfast:
So try merging at 55 mph when you’re a foot away from the zb cones. :imp: :unamused:

That does not fit in with the advice below

ROG:
At fast flowing speeds then getting in the open lane early is the safest way

At slow speeds then using all free lanes to the cones is the safest way as it makes the queues shorter by utilising all available road space

Near to me there is a very busy major roundabout that has a major road coming off it

That major road starts as a 50mph dual carriageway for half a mile and then goes to one lane single carriageway where they merge in turn - well, might not be excatly merge in turn but there abouts

Both lanes are filled in peak times but if they followed the advice of someone on here then they would use one lane and totally block the major roundabout

Firstly a roundabout is the same as any junction you don’t enter it unless your exit is clear,or in the case of traffic light controlled ones,where they try to mix both ideas of traffic on it giving way to traffic entering it and vice versa at the same time :unamused:,you should still only enter it if you can at least clear the exit before the lights.

But the issue of short stretches of dual carriageway followed by single carriageway is the same and just as bad as putting out lane closure signs too late.It just creates a bottle kneck that actually causes traffic to slow down to merge instead of running at a decent continuous speed.What is the point of providing an overtaking lane for half a mile subject to a 50 limit when leaving it as single carriageway,without the bottle kneck,would actually be sufficient considering the limit applying to the road half a mile ahead.

Seems to me yet more confusion between capacity versus flow rates.The reason for extra lanes is’nt to increase capacity it’s to provide for overtaking and there’s not much point in providing an overtaking lane for half a mile if it just creates a bottle kneck where it merges and therefore traffic needs to slow down to merge safely in the context of the extra lane/s is being used as a way to increase capacity for half a mile not for overtaking.

Under the IAM’s logic the idea is to have lines of merging traffic,of two or more lanes,that is maybe two or three times shorter than the same line would be if it was one lane. :unamused:

But using my logic the single lane of traffic would be moving more than two or three times faster if it did’nt have to slow down to allow the slower moving merging traffic from the closed lanes to merge at a slower speed. :unamused:

Wheel Nut:
Rob K, can you lend me some popcorn, just look what you have started :laughing:

Help yourself Malc. I can see that your mate has stuck his oar in from the lines of blocked posts I’m seeing so I’ll be keeping out of it and letting you, Mark and Rob set him straight as you all enjoy arguing with him.

Wheel Nut:
Rob K, can you lend me some popcorn, just look what you have started :laughing:

It’s actually that lot in the IAM that seem to be as good at starting a tailback at lane closures as all the other lot who prefer to run up to the cones before thinking about getting over into the right lane. :imp: :unamused: :laughing:

I think the problem is the drivers in the lane that is not closing not leaving a suitable gap between them and the car in front, they prefer to drive right up there arse :unamused: . If they left a gap big enough people could merge into that queue without having to cause any vehicles to stop to create a gap. Also the numpties that are scared to drive between 2 rows of cones dont help either :unamused: I have been in contraflows with no speed limit and they still drop down to 20-30mph :imp:

Coming down from Holyhead today I encountered roadworks and the outside lane was closing. There were the usual countdown markers from 800 yards and beside the 200 yard countdown marker there were signs saying ‘MERGE IN TURN AHEAD’, along with a diagram of what merging is to make it a little clearer for the terminally bewildered.

Now as it said AHEAD on the sign at the 200 yard marker that makes it pretty clear where the merge point is. Most of the cars and a coup[le of trucks had all moved over by the 600 yard sign but a van, myself and a car all carried on down lane 2 until just before the cones were we merged easily and without having to brake, or slow any more than we had done to just a little over the 40 mph posted limit.

ROG:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
You’re actually supposed to get in lane before the cones

If you were supposed to merge earlier, they would have put the cones further back :wink:

You are both correct :open_mouth:

At slow speeds then using all free lanes to the cones is the safest way as it makes the queues shorter by utilising all available road space

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome ROG :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in the signature you used to have at the bottom of your posts. The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.
Official DSA videos of modules 1, 2, 3 & 4

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips
First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Coffeeholic:
Coming down from Holyhead today I encountered roadworks and the outside lane was closing. There were the usual countdown markers from 800 yards and beside the 200 yard countdown marker there were signs saying ‘MERGE IN TURN AHEAD’, along with a diagram of what merging is to make it a little clearer for the terminally bewildered.

Now as it said AHEAD on the sign at the 200 yard marker that makes it pretty clear where the merge point is. Most of the cars and a coup[le of trucks had all moved over by the 600 yard sign but a van, myself and a car all carried on down lane 2 until just before the cones were we merged easily and without having to brake, or slow any more than we had done to just a little over the 40 mph posted limit.

Queue jumper! Those poor people you ‘Motoraped’ were in a good old fashioned British queue and feeling quite happy with themselves and their neatly ordered line thank you very much and then in you bowl, ruining the ‘shared experience’ for everyone…Should be ashamed of yourself. :imp:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
You’re actually supposed to get in lane before the cones

If you were supposed to merge earlier, they would have put the cones further back :wink:

You are both correct :open_mouth:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome ROG :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in your signature you used to have at the bottom of your posts. The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.
Official DSA videos of modules 1, 2, 3 & 4

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips
First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

particularly the bolded bit. :grimacing:

hammer:

Coffeeholic:

Queue jumper! Those poor people you ‘Motoraped’ were in a good old fashioned British queue and feeling quite happy with themselves and their neatly ordered line thank you very much and then in you bowl, ruining the ‘shared experience’ for everyone…Should be ashamed of yourself. :imp:

Indeed, they were displaying all the attributes of fully fledge island monkeys. And I in no way jumped the queue, I would have had to go through the cones to do that. :stuck_out_tongue: Further more, in my defence most of them were Welsh.

That was the second time this week I have done that at those roadworks and I will likely be doing it again about 13:10 to 13:20 on Saturday. :wink:

hammer:

Coffeeholic:

More :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

hammer:

Coffeeholic:

Indeed, they were displaying all the attributes of fully fledge island monkeys. And I in no way jumped the queue, I would have had to go through the cones to do that. :stuck_out_tongue: Further more, in my defence most of them were Welsh.

That was the second time this week I have done that at those roadworks and I will likely be doing it again about 13:10 to 13:20 on Saturday. :wink:

Are those the roadworks at the flyover at Rhyl? Pretty sure they were finished last time I was done there (end of Dec). That was where the kid rammed into the back of the car in front of him whilst trying to stop me from merging. I’ll never forget that and it still makes me all warm and gooey inside remembering it. :grimacing:

Rob K:
Are those the roadworks at the flyover at Rhyl? Pretty sure they were finished last time I was done there (end of Dec). That was where the kid rammed into the back of the car in front of him whilst trying to stop me from merging. I’ll never forget that and it still makes me all warm and gooey inside remembering it. :grimacing:

No, not those ones, they are finished. These ones are not far from there and have only sprung up this week.

Coffeeholic:

That’s exactly where I encountered my idiot lane blockers this morning

Coffeeholic:

You might not have had to brake or slow up much but those in the other lane would have had to slow up by a lot more than that to give you the sufficient speed differential to clear them and make the lane change in time before you ran into the cones.

100 yds,or less,at 40 mph + does’nt give you much time to make a safe lane change before you run into the cones.

:open_mouth: Carryfast meets ROG, and both meet their match!! :open_mouth:

ROG:

Carryfast:
So try merging at 55 mph when you’re a foot away from the zb cones. :imp: :unamused:

ROG:

Of course it doesn’t ROG, and that’s because Carryfast is the new ROG :grimacing:

:bulb: I recently took part in a wonderful discussion in which Carryfast argued with himself!!

Carryfast:

Coffeeholic:

You might not have had to brake or slow up much but those in the other lane would have had to slow up by a lot more than that to give you the sufficient speed differential to clear them and make the lane change in time before you ran into the cones.

They had indeed slowed by a lot and there were big gaps to merge into.

This is North Wales where the majority of the locals drive at least 10 mph below the posted limit in roadworks as they are are [zb] scared of the traffic police. It’s a hangover from when they had that nutjob as a Chief Constable.

They do 40 in lane 1 in the 50 section through Conwy for the same reason.

dieseldave:
:shock: Carryfast meets ROG, and both meet their match!! :open_mouth:

ROG:

Carryfast:

ROG:

Of course it doesn’t ROG, and that’s because Carryfast is the new ROG :grimacing:

:bulb: I recently took part in a wonderful discussion in which Carryfast argued with himself!!

Blimey I thought I’d heard all the contradictions on here until I read that. :open_mouth: :laughing:

It’s ROG who’s got it all the wrong way round and who’s arguing with himself.

It’s those trying to make the queues shorter,by using all the lanes,including the closed ones,that causes the slow speeds in the first place. :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

But if coffeeholic had been trying to merge with traffic running at around the same speed as he was then it would have been him who met his match when he ran out of road. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

By the way I’m still waiting to find out how many trucks have been converted to run on LPG so far. :wink: :laughing:

Carryfast:
But if coffeeholic had been trying to merge with traffic running at around the same speed as he was then it would have been him who met his match when he ran out of road. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Never ran out of road yet. :wink:

Carryfast:
Firstly a roundabout is the same as any junction you don’t enter it unless your exit is clear,or in the case of traffic light controlled ones,where they try to mix both ideas of traffic on it giving way to traffic entering it and vice versa at the same time :unamused:,you should still only enter it if you can at least clear the exit before the lights.

But the issue of short stretches of dual carriageway followed by single carriageway is the same and just as bad as putting out lane closure signs too late.It just creates a bottle kneck that actually causes traffic to slow down to merge instead of running at a decent continuous speed.What is the point of providing an overtaking lane for half a mile subject to a 50 limit when leaving it as single carriageway,without the bottle kneck,would actually be sufficient considering the limit applying to the road half a mile ahead.

Seems to me yet more confusion between capacity versus flow rates.The reason for extra lanes is’nt to increase capacity it’s to provide for overtaking and there’s not much point in providing an overtaking lane for half a mile if it just creates a bottle kneck where it merges and therefore traffic needs to slow down to merge safely in the context of the extra lane/s is being used as a way to increase capacity for half a mile not for overtaking.

Under the IAM’s logic the idea is to have lines of merging traffic,of two or more lanes,that is maybe two or three times shorter than the same line would be if it was one lane. :unamused:

But using my logic the single lane of traffic would be moving more than two or three times faster if it did’nt have to slow down to allow the slower moving merging traffic from the closed lanes to merge at a slower speed. :unamused:

What a load of old tosh carryfast :unamused: . I take you dont enter a roundabout with a queue on it until rush hours over? Show us the bit in the highway code that says you should not enter a roundabout until the exit is clear.

And why on earth do you think there are stretches of motorway with 4,5 even 6 lanes its obviously to increase capacity, If a dual carraigeway running at capacity is taken down to one lane, the vehicles will have to get closer together and will naturally slow down, and that doesnt matter whether its at the cones or a mile before them.

The real delays happen when you get some idiot trying to play policeman and blocking one lane or playing how close can I get the the bumper of the car in front to stop someone who knows how the traffic should flow getting in in front.

Yeah works wonders that ‘zip merging’, last night on the M6 down to one lane, 2 artic’s in front, I was quicker but not quick enough to do 2 in 800 yards, along comes Mr stupid in his girly car and nearly puts himself into the cones before pulling in front of the driver ahead. The container driver then gives him full on horns and afull beam and we all then get brake tested! What are these people on■■?
It’s because of these sort of idiots that the queues happen.
Maybe there’s a reason not to let all these prat’s through hey?
:imp: