How many of you can remember the following?

Stopping at Pontefract on a Friday night even though you easily had enough time to get home, waking up with a banging head in Tadcaster at 9am on a Saturday morning with a load of angry bus drivers trying to get into the bus terminus you parked in on the Friday night , good times :smiley:

Going down through Bridge (Kent) out of cog in a Atki at 0300 at god knows what speed so the heap had a chance get out the other end without having to push it.

1625 Merc hauling a bulker at 38ton, winding the clock forward pulling the fuse no speed limiter strippers in the truck stops wet ropes wet sheets and or frozen stiff, well boards that weighed a ton crap brakes crap tyres that went bang.

And so on.

being silent checked by…" the ministry"

dieseldog999:
being silent checked by…" the ministry"

In the real world there were probably more drivers taking advantage of being able to book extra rest or break as driving,without the guvnor being able to prove otherwise,than vice versa.Which is why the unions rightly hated tachos and why we lost so many transport cafes. :wink:

Franglais:

peirre:
Has someone just run over the Hovis kid riding the bakers bike?

As I wasn’t sure if I was hearing the sound of a brass band playing the Hovis theme tune or the sound of an old akti brakes screeching while the kid was run over due to the crap brakes

Ah, early Navi system. Ask a local delivery bod for directions.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you forgot to add,that he would be able to tell you and direct you as he would have been local,pink,and speak english.

Making up the week`s log books on a Friday, trying to remember where you were the day before yesterday.

I know some on the Old Timers area will know, but how many here used the old log books?
The ones without the graph paper, when all start/stop places were written in longhand…

Ummmm
Someone told me about them…

dieseldog999:

Franglais:

peirre:

As I wasn’t sure if I was hearing the sound of a brass band playing the Hovis theme tune or the sound of an old akti brakes screeching while the kid was run over due to the crap brakes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you forgot to add,that he would be able to tell you and direct you as he would have been local,pink,and speak english.

Not in London though !
Everyone seems to be there, but no-one actually lives there do they? “Dunno mate, aint from ere”.

Franglais:
Making up the week`s log books on a Friday, trying to remember where you were the day before yesterday.

I know some on the Old Timers area will know, but how many here used the old log books?
The ones without the graph paper, when all start/stop places were written in longhand…

Ummmm

Er yeah, me dad’s mate must have mentioned them :blush:

Honestly, no leg pulling here, not saying i was 100% on the mark all the time, but tried me very best to be legal, and the company i worked for also tried to run a straight ship.

Like some others, i reckon the old rules were best when 12.5 hour spreadover was yer lot, in those days before EEC rules became ours and all of a sudden a 15 hour day was safer (cos you had the spy in the cab), no you couldn’t have made it up.

Juddian:

Franglais:

Ummmm

Er yeah, me dad’s mate must have mentioned them :blush:

Honestly, no leg pulling here, not saying i was 100% on the mark all the time, but tried me very best to be legal, and the company i worked for also tried to run a straight ship.

Like some others, i reckon the old rules were best when 12.5 hour spreadover was yer lot, in those days before EEC rules became ours and all of a sudden a 15 hour day was safer (cos you had the spy in the cab), no you couldn’t have made it up.

We were paid off the log book at my first company.

Only one of them too.

What a walk down memory lane this thread is, pmsl, but I must be really old because I remember having only 2 airlines with palm couplings, they regularly leaked, also tramping in a Borderer and taking the drivers door handle with me (2 screws) when I went to the pub.

A group of you getting off the boat ■■■■■■ after drinking all night
No mobiles the only time you would be contacted was when you rang in from a public phone
The cash float, and at a time that includes fuel I remember going out with about 2500 cash the fiddle was king
Trip money you had to be good for it to pay and if you were it payed well
The big daf 3800 it was a tank in disguise
You made all the decisions

I remember going on a trip with my dad when Lilly Law pulled him in Congleton and the constable asked him for his logbook (this was at the transition time from logbooks to tacho’s) and my dad told him he was using his Tacho card. The bobby wasn’t clued up on them and sent us on our way - Dad 1 Cheshire Constabulary 0 :laughing:

Oh yes, Coat Hangers for aerials and portable radio’s lodged at the bottom of the windscreen for in cab entertainment !

I remember all that’s mentioned, but only from going with my Dad from the age 5 onwards. That would have been 1982/3 on.

switchlogic:
I remember all that’s mentioned, but only from going with my Dad from the age 5 onwards. That would have been 1982/3 on.

I like yourself and a lot of others had a sort of ‘Apprenticeship’ going on trips with our dads, I know aged fourteen I could find my way from Stockport to London and back having done the trip so many times and learned so many things along the way,

Franglais:

dieseldog999:

Franglais:

peirre:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not in London though !
Everyone seems to be there, but no-one actually lives there do they? “Dunno mate, aint from ere”.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
anyone you spoke to south of birmingham recoiled in horror as soon as they heard the glasgow accent which to them meant you were a psychopathic mobile distillery. :slight_smile:

Pennineman:

switchlogic:

I like yourself and a lot of others had a sort of ‘Apprenticeship’ going on trips with our dads, I know aged fourteen I could find my way from Stockport to London and back having done the trip so many times and learned so many things along the way,

Yup I used to go with him at every available opportunity, right up to now, been for a couple of day runs with him in past few years! No need now though we both work for the same company!

Half a Crown for a two-course dinner. 6d for a big mug of tea and a dripping slice half an inch thick. Ten bob a night out and a basic of 7/6 an hour with time and a half for overtime.

Sleeping in a dormitory with ten other blokes, snoring and ■■■■■■■ and staggering in at 2am. Sleeping in the cab with the engine running all night to keep warm. Having a little book with all the ‘good’ digs where you only got in if your face fitted and strictly overalls and boots off at the front door. Three-course dinner and a lift to the working men’s club for a cheap pint after.

switchlogic:

Pennineman:

switchlogic:

Yup I used to go with him at every available opportunity, right up to now, been for a couple of day runs with him in past few years! No need now though we both work for the same company!

A bit of irony is I got my Class 1 years before he did as he only had his class 3 which he was at ease with but the company we both worked for, decided we were going to be a Class 1 fleet only, so it was either get his Class 1 or be taken off the road.

He decided to go for his class 1 and I ended up being in the passenger seat giving HIM driving lessons!!!

Listening to the coming and going of Luxembourg radio during the first part of your night trip.
Leaving Trafford Park truck stop after a good nights sleep :wink:
Using the cruise control on your F86.
Trying to work out why there was an electric cable running up the mirror arm.
Seeing off Boredom at night by spotting the yellow fleet number boards on Suttons motors.
Trying to remember what day of the week it was as the days and nights kinder blurred into one & another.
Sigh of relief when you reached the end of the A75 safely.
Looking for the summit board on Shap & to be able to read it whilst crawling past.
Rags around brake & clutch pedal area to stop the wind coming in.
Three warning lamps on the dash.
Made up tax discs.
Leyland/AEC lorries everywhere.
Chains & ■■■■■■■ dwangs.