Hoveringham gravels

Looks better from this side.

nigelhunt:
[attachment=0]img193.jpg[/attachment]
Tried turning into a field,problem was missed the tipper driver overtaking me.Thankfully not wearing a seat belt saved my life.Thrown
through the windscreen on impact.Photos taken outside hoveringham body shop.

Bet that was a bit of a night mare for the body builder Caledonian :blush: Lucky Guy

nigelhunt:
Tried turning into a field,problem was missed the tipper driver overtaking me.Thankfully not wearing a seat belt saved my life.Thrown
through the windscreen on impact.Photos taken outside hoveringham body shop.

You were lucky there :open_mouth: I hope you do the lottery, with luck like yours it’s only a matter of time before you win it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nigelhunt:
Just found a photo of a low loader,this is not the one that was based at hoveringham.The volvo based at hoveringham had a day cab.
Cant remember its reg but drove round the yard in it the day it arrived.Perhaps someone can tell me where this one came from,and
also what it appears to be carrying.

This low loader was operated by Hoveringham Gravels Southern out of Denham plant workshops, it was driven by Peter■■? who lived near me in Reading and could always be seen in the supermarket car park of a weekend, (unit only) taking his family shopping.
I think the picture was taken when it was on a job moving army tanks and guns from Bovingdon Dorset to the docks in London. I can remember being told that it should have run in convoy with the army Antars but Pete got fed up going at 20 MPH so he buggered off on his own route and was at the docks hours before the army convoy.

Anyone any thoughts on this ? Hoveringham Engineering Company was set up in 1957, but changed its name to Invicta Bridge & Engineering Ltd later on…This bus picture was taken at Gash’s (of Newark) Bus Depot in 1970, and shows one of the buses that was used to transport the workers into work, in the livery of Invicta, yet it has the colours of Tarmac Khaki green in its livery ? Why would this be at this early stage ? As Tarmac did not buy Hoveingham for another 12 years ? It looks as if the bus next to it, is a Hoveringham bus too ? As these were often purchased off Gash, and I guess also stored in their yard at weekends and nights ?

Sheer class !

Hi All,

Im still looking for some information or pictures of an ex-Hoveringham S39 Foden tipper that im currently restoring. Registration Number is AAL 712H.

Many Thanks,

Ashley Pearson

1975 Merc Benz

nigelhunt:
Does anybody know where this truck was based.

i dont know where it was based but i do know that my father bought it from ford and slater in leicester and ran it as an owner driver for tarmac at corby KRR 196E was a bit special an albion cameronion quite a rare motor

Many thanks for that information,and welcome to this forum tarmactrader.As you already know i am an ex hoveringham employee
with a passion for their old lorries.Dont suppose you have any more photos hiding away,but if so please post .Still cant find many
old colour photos but its still amazing that so many people are interested in this topic.

nigelhunt:
Many thanks for that information,and welcome to this forum tarmactrader.As you already know i am an ex hoveringham employee
with a passion for their old lorries.Dont suppose you have any more photos hiding away,but if so please post .Still cant find many
old colour photos but its still amazing that so many people are interested in this topic.

if you look at the tarmac tippers site the albion is pictured there when dad owned it

tarmactrader:

nigelhunt:

if you look at the tarmac tippers site the albion is pictured there when dad owned it

Hi
I too was at Corby for a time, covering for holidays, allways remember John Sadler had about 5 lorries in there in my era (1987-1992), all were ex Tarmac fleet lorries with their stickers took off…I’ll post some more Corby pictures on the tarmac tippers thread…

Just found a facebook group for Hoveringham Gravels. Some new pictures on there that I haven’t seen before, I’ve joined the group and posted some pictures. Take a look.

Just found a facebook group for Hoveringham Gravels. Some new pictures on there that I haven’t seen before, I’ve joined the group and posted some pictures. Take a look.

Sorry its not a truck, but this is the hardworking works Landrover in the fitting shop at Hoveringham’s Stowfield Quarry, circa 1981, check out the passenger door…

It must have been cold in that workshop,just spotted the state of the art heating system.Are you sure they did!nt nick the door of one of hoveringhams
land rovers.Many thanks for posting,thought this thread had finnished.

Just found a couple of photos of the old merc tractor unit.I believe to be the only one purchased by hoveringham.It was driven by a chap called
tony clark and he was delighted when he got rid.

And a colour photo of the six wheeler.

Hi,
I worked at Hoveringham during the early 70’s and worked with John Barks during my time with Hoveringham.
I was very sorry to hear of his death as I spent many hours on the wrecker as drivers mate.
I am going to try and locate some lorry photos, mine appear to be missing at the moment!
I will post these photos taken this morning at the old Hoveringham/Tarmac Quarry at Blaxton, Doncaster.