HGV Driver - Online CPC Training- £35 [Merged]

stevielew:
I attended training Thursday and Friday. Certificates were emailed, hours uploaded to DVLA and visible on the following Monday.

Thanks for the info

Own Account Driver:
Would you be able to get away with doing this and doing some other work, or reading an e-book, on the computer at the same time without the trainer being bothered/realising?

Definitely not. There are scheduled breaks, and people are allowed to visit the toilet, but absences of more than 5 mins are likely to get you taken off the course without any hours upload.
The trainers have a few statements to read at the start of the course about equal rights, data protection etc., and the other thing that they are keen on is JAUPT compliance. They have to be strict about delegates being present and participating.

I believe that there where 2 guys yesterday who where questionable, 1 was slumped so far down in his seat you could barely see the top of his head, the other was back lit by the sun coming through the windows putting him in such a deep shadow you couldn’t see him. If you want to be technically clever it is possible to make a video loop of yourself and use that as a background in zoom
Each person can see everyone else and what they are doing if they choose to, so be wary where you setup the camera as the camera is a window into your world, also check the lighting so that where you are going to sit for 7hrs is appropriate for the occasion, dress code is optional

Due to this coronavirus nightmare I’ve taken a full time driving job doing general haulage for a company that gives CPC training.

However, they take about £15 out of your wages to cover the upload fee and costs. They also take money out of your final pay on a sliding scale if you leave too soon. They say the cost of the course is around £55. So if I left before a year (which I hope to do so) I’d have to pay back anywhere from 50-75% of this.

So, in reality, I’d be better of doing the zoom option.

The only kicker though is that you do get paid wages to do the course. You get paid 12 hours money to do the cpc day. I think on balance I’d rather be driving a lorry than sitting in a classroom to earn the extra.

I need 3 days in the next 3 years to be valid. I might just do 3 zoom days in my time off and forget about it. Cost will be £105 and I can forget about it.

As I’m furloughed I’m getting the 80% for the time sat at home, so indirectly lm getting paid for for sitting at home doing the online CPC. The next session (No2) on Monday coincides with the 1 day statutory holiday the agency is making me take. I’ll probably do the 3rd later in the week (weds?-thurs?-fri?), then 1 each week until all 5 are done before the 12th June deadline. As I have to pay for my own CPC doing it online for £35 the saving is significant especially as I was paying £80 a module in 2019.

stevielew:

Own Account Driver:
Would you be able to get away with doing this and doing some other work, or reading an e-book, on the computer at the same time without the trainer being bothered/realising?

Definitely not. There are scheduled breaks, and people are allowed to visit the toilet, but absences of more than 5 mins are likely to get you taken off the course without any hours upload.
The trainers have a few statements to read at the start of the course about equal rights, data protection etc., and the other thing that they are keen on is JAUPT compliance. They have to be strict about delegates being present and participating.

Not sure about on a phone or a tablet but if you’re using a laptop or desktop then Yes, you can look at other things on your screen while still participating in the meeting. You can open pages in your browser and be looking at that, your browser can overlay your Zoom screen but your camera will still be registering you looking in the right direction. You just need to mute the sound from your browser so it won’t be picked up by the microphone, or you can mute yourself. However the Trainer can unmute you from their end whenever they choose.

I’ve noticed a few people mention courses with more than twenty people, Jaupt state a maximum of 20:1 attendees to Trainer ratio for the classroom, I haven’t heard that they’ve changed this for virtual DCPCs.

Not sure I’d be very happy with being prevented from going to the loo, in a classroom situation it’s not a problem, as long as you’re not away overly long, we’re all adults and we’re back in secondary school.

Zac_A:

stevielew:

Own Account Driver:

Not sure about on a phone or a tablet but if you’re using a laptop or desktop then Yes, you can look at other things on your screen while still participating in the meeting. You can open pages in your browser and be looking at that, your browser can overlay your Zoom screen but your camera will still be registering you looking in the right direction. You just need to mute the sound from your browser so it won’t be picked up by the microphone, or you can mute yourself. However the Trainer can unmute you from their end whenever they choose.

I’ve noticed a few people mention courses with more than twenty people, Jaupt state a maximum of 20:1 attendees to Trainer ratio for the classroom, I haven’t heard that they’ve changed this for virtual DCPCs.

Not sure I’d be very happy with being prevented from going to the loo, in a classroom situation it’s not a problem, as long as you’re not away overly long, we’re all adults and we’re back in secondary school.

Just take the laptop or phone with you to the toilet. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

1 guy took his iPad to the kitchen and made a coffee, but he forgot to switch off or mute the video so we saw everything :smiley:
I was a little OTT as I had hooked up some extra 5:1 speakers to the laptop so I could hear the sound better, stuck a wired mouse in so I could use it below the line of sight, and ran an Ethernet cable from the laptop to the router to avoid WiFi signal drop out. So all I had to do is sit back and do nothing

peirre:
1 guy took his iPad to the kitchen and made a coffee, but he forgot to switch off or mute the video so we saw everything :smiley:
I was a little OTT as I had hooked up some extra 5:1 speakers to the laptop so I could hear the sound better, stuck a wired mouse in so I could use it below the line of sight, and ran an Ethernet cable from the laptop to the router to avoid WiFi signal drop out. So all I had to do is sit back and do nothing

Going and making a coffee is fine. I’d do that in the real thing to keep me awake.

My girls father is very senior in a government agency. Some girl was chirping up about her latest and greatest idea and overheard someone say “why doesn’t she just shut the f up”. Apparently the girl was in floods of tears and the bloke has been found and told off. Also given a lesson on muting his mic.

But could you imagine if you were dropping a massive no 2 and not realize you were being both seen and heard? I think I’d have to lose my £35 and sign out due to the shame.

sammym:
could you imagine if you were dropping a massive no 2 and not realize you were being both seen and heard? I think I’d have to lose my £35 and sign out due to the shame.

That would be hilarious, and it’s only a matter of time before someone does it.
As zoom is new technology to some people, they’ve not familiarised themselves with the basic settings, so you end up with people not muting/unmuting audio, not switching the video feed on/off etc so when they have a conversation with someone in the home the iPad, PC, laptop etc picks up on it and the software throws it online and interrupts the class.

I participated in the Plant Rock (radio station) trivia quiz last night on zoom with 100 people taking part and you can imagine the chaos moments when several people piped up as they where Unmuted and the host was not able to mute them. Those where the ones who where unfamiliar with the zoom interface, and you’d hear them ask “how do I mute the sound” etc.
I know most of the forum members are familiar with computer technology, but my advice to those new to zoom & intending to take part in online DCPC is learn a little bit of how to use it before you do the hours

Alrite folks hope all is well. Thinking of doing my cpc while off work. My 5 year doesn’t run out until Nov 2022. But while I’m out of work I was thinking of just doing it and then it’s done and banked. I am out of work due to surgery and will be the end of the year before I’m back at work. Has anyone recently done it online and if so how was it? Would it be better just to wait until lockdown has lifted, cheers Paul

NPABU:
Alrite folks hope all is well. Thinking of doing my cpc while off work. My 5 year doesn’t run out until Nov 2022. But while I’m out of work I was thinking of just doing it and then it’s done and banked. I am out of work due to surgery and will be the end of the year before I’m back at work. Has anyone recently done it online and if so how was it? Would it be better just to wait until lockdown has lifted, cheers Paul

Doing the training online is fine. You are comfortable in your own home and get the same content delivered as you would in a classroom.
You don’t need to sign up for all 35 hour in one go. I would recommend doing a 7 hour session with one of the on line companies and seeing if you are happy with it before committing to the full 35 hours.

Cheers for the reply mate, ye I think I will just book the 1 day to see how that goes, cheers for the merge diesel dave

And don’t forget this little trick (over beverages are available) :wink:

NPABU:
Has anyone recently done it online and if so how was it?

I did my 1st session on Friday & 2nd session yesterday with VR services, and I’m due to do a 3rd later in the week. I’m not desperate to complete the hours as I have till September 2024 on my current card. But many participants either don’t have a current DCPC due to returning to driving, or they let it lapse so they are doing the full 5 days back to back.
It’s all pretty relaxed as it’s all about attending and putting the hours in. So get comfortable somewhere your not likely to be disturbed, sit back and chill out. One guy was in his caravan, one was in his conservatory & another was in bed. There’s usually a short coffee break in the morning/afternoon and a lunch break.
At the end of the session for those doing it day by day they’ll do a roll call to see if anyone want to book the next day etc.
They appear to have a nice little earner going atm

NPABU:
Would it be better just to wait until lockdown has lifted, cheers Paul

The choice is yours, AFAIK the dispensation granted to do it online is only till 12th June, I don’t know whether they’ll extend it. But when life resumes it’s back to sitting in the classroom, and possible higher prices to complete the hours. Currently I’m paying £35 per day online, but have previously paid £80 per day (inc lunch) to sit in the classroom

Slightly off topic: as my current dcpc is valid till September 2024 and I complete the 35hrs while off furloughed do I get a new card valid till September 2029?

Is there a way to login to watch to get the idea? A sort of bot like sat in the chatroom, sits there and say nothing.

No there are no lurkers the paying participants are emailed the zoom meeting ID details about 15-20 minutes before the event starts, the meeting login ID also requires a separate password. So if there are 20 paying customers having 21+ windows open would stand out like a sore thumb

[quote=
Slightly off topic: as my current dcpc is valid till September 2024 and I complete the 35hrs while off furloughed do I get a new card valid till September 2029?[/quote]
You will get your new card 11 months before your old one expires. in your case October 2023.

All I have had so far are several part time job offers on zero hours contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montsoreau:
[quote=
Slightly off topic: as my current dcpc is valid till September 2024 and I complete the 35hrs while off furloughed do I get a new card valid till September 2029?

You will get your new card 11 months before your old one expires. in your case October 2023.
[/quote]
What’s the most you can get ahead by if you’ve just had a new card presumably you can only get one full card’s worth ahead?