"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Good to see your all got some shoe boxes with a few left and maintaining the standard,heres a few more from Bills shoe box on the Oz side of the planet hope they come up to spec.
Dig

Pickfords triple moving a transformer, note the guy standing on the top watching for the overhead telephone/electric lines,
quite a regular scene back in the day.
Click image to view larger size.

moomooland:
0Pickfords triple moving a transformer, note the guy standing on the top watching for the overhead telephone/electric lines,
quite a regular scene back in the day.
Click image to view larger size.

Indeed, but where’s his pole? :open_mouth: :laughing:

It must be a long time since I saw such a load on such roads so I’m asking the question, in this age of H&S, how do they achieve clearance these days?

Spardo:
It must be a long time since I saw such a load on such roads so I’m asking the question, in this age of H&S, how do they achieve clearance these days?

Also back in the day they had the overhead trolleybus wires to contend with in many towns and city’s.

DIG:
Good to see your all got some shoe boxes with a few left and maintaining the standard,heres a few more from Bills shoe box on the Oz side of the planet hope they come up to spec.
Dig

Nice one Dig. An impressive sight on the move.

moomooland:

Spardo:

Also back in the day they had the overhead trolleybus wires to contend with in many towns and city’s.

moomooland - you also seem to have acces to quite a few shoe boxes!! Wonderful pictures.

Courtesy of Aaron Silcock: instagram.com/heavy_haulage/

Heavy Haul New Zealand courtesy of Rod Simmonds and a bit of comfort for a rear steersman.
Oily

Heavy Haul NZ smithbidge-western-star-with-kw-dolly.jpg

Heavy Haul NZ smithbridge-star.jpg

Scammell Highwayman operated by J Clubb Ltd comes to grief in Rochester in 1963.

moomooland:
1Scammell Highwayman operated by J Clubb Ltd comes to grief in Rochester in 1963.

Interesting. The cause? A railcar, no doubt well anchored to the trailer and whatever that machinery on the unsecured turntable is, has swung to the left thereby transferring the weight unsupportably outboard.

Verdict? Insecure load therefore driver error. Hmm.

A more justifiable verdict than my mate on Econofreight recieved when the storage tank he was carrying almost slipped off his trailer going down Archway. The tank was welded to its feet. He chained the tank. The welds broke and the tank headed east but was retained on the trailer by his chaining.

Verdict, insecure load. Which is precisely what the load wasn’t. The load was badly made and it was only my mates chaining skills which stopped it falling off. :unamused:

Heres an old article about a Pickfords job from March 1957.

Click on pages twice to read.

DIG:

pv83:

DIG:
I have slipped a couple of Volvo pics in this selection i must add they are not my trucks the triple was driven by my daughters father in law the other I came across one night had stopped quick but the load didn’t.
The KW and Mack were mine and those pics should comply with the Heavy Haulage theme as each photo was of a 115ton plus gross weight around 72 wish tons payload.

Cheers Dig

Cheers DIG, nice batch you’ve posted mate :wink:

Forgive me my ignorance, but does one need special certificates or licenses to drive those roadtrains?

PV in my day 1969 for my test I had to drive an old International bonneted single drive prime mover with a crash box and single axle trailer with Vacuum brakes around Perth with a very grumpy police sergeant who wasn’t impressed with the vehicle but he passed me and that allowed me to drive any type of truck,a different story these days though.
Top of the list is a licence designated an MC.[ Multi Combination] To get one of these you have to have held a Car licence for 3 years and a Light Rigid license [designated LR for a year ] .
I might add this is West Aus other states probably have something different they usually do.

If you google Western Australian driving license categories you will get the whole nine yards.

Cheers Dig

A bit different from the ‘wild north’ , The Territory, Dig. I arrived by plane from India in Darwin in about '69 too. Showed them my UK licence told them I had been driving lorries (I’m not sure if we had the UK HGV licence by then) and was immediately given an NT Lorry licence. Yes, that’s what they called it. :laughing:

A couple of weeks driving a Bedford on grocery deliveries round Darwin then down to Noel Buntine at Katherine. He asked, ‘have you ever driven a twin stick?’ To which I replied yes, of course, because I misheard him and thought he said twin steer. :open_mouth: And off I went. First trip with a young bloke my age to get used to the Mack semi and 2 dogs, then another with an old bloke living on pills and rum, which gave me an insight into a 6 wheel rigid and 3 trailers. Then I was on my own with the glory of the north. Mack B61 Thermodyne quad box plus semi and 2. Lovely.

Didn’t stop me driving in WA though. We ran to a station near Wyndham, almost 400 miles each way (1st 75 bitumen, the rest bulldust).

I thought I was in heaven, apart from the 16 punctures on the first trip, all changed by me and repaired by me back at the base, as well as a full service (by me) each time, I really was. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Spardo:

DIG:

pv83:

DIG:
I have slipped a couple of Volvo pics in this selection i must add they are not my trucks the triple was driven by my daughters father in law the other I came across one night had stopped quick but the load didn’t.
The KW and Mack were mine and those pics should comply with the Heavy Haulage theme as each photo was of a 115ton plus gross weight around 72 wish tons payload.

Cheers Dig

Cheers DIG, nice batch you’ve posted mate :wink:

Forgive me my ignorance, but does one need special certificates or licenses to drive those roadtrains?

PV in my day 1969 for my test I had to drive an old International bonneted single drive prime mover with a crash box and single axle trailer with Vacuum brakes around Perth with a very grumpy police sergeant who wasn’t impressed with the vehicle but he passed me and that allowed me to drive any type of truck,a different story these days though.
Top of the list is a licence designated an MC.[ Multi Combination] To get one of these you have to have held a Car licence for 3 years and a Light Rigid license [designated LR for a year ] .
I might add this is West Aus other states probably have something different they usually do.

If you google Western Australian driving license categories you will get the whole nine yards.

Cheers Dig

A bit different from the ‘wild north’ , The Territory, Dig. I arrived by plane from India in Darwin in about '69 too. Showed them my UK licence told them I had been driving lorries (I’m not sure if we had the UK HGV licence by then) and was immediately given an NT Lorry licence. Yes, that’s what they called it. [emoji38]

A couple of weeks driving a Bedford on grocery deliveries round Darwin then down to Noel Buntine at Katherine. He asked, ‘have you ever driven a twin stick?’ To which I replied yes, of course, because I misheard him and thought he said twin steer. :open_mouth: And off I went. First trip with a young bloke my age to get used to the Mack semi and 2 dogs, then another with an old bloke living on pills and rum, which gave me an insight into a 6 wheel rigid and 3 trailers. Then I was on my own with the glory of the north. Mack B61 Thermodyne quad box plus semi and 2. Lovely.

Didn’t stop me driving in WA though. We ran to a station near Wyndham, almost 400 miles each way (1st 75 bitumen, the rest bulldust).

I thought I was in heaven, apart from the 16 punctures on the first trip, all changed by me and repaired by me back at the base, as well as a full service (by me) each time, I really was. :open_mouth: [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

What a start to life down under. Jumping in at the deep end. 16 punctures on your first trip, probably repaired in the heat as well.
You mentioned India, did you also drive there?
Johnny

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

jsutherland:

Spardo:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

A bit different from the ‘wild north’ , The Territory, Dig. I arrived by plane from India in Darwin in about '69 too. Showed them my UK licence told them I had been driving lorries (I’m not sure if we had the UK HGV licence by then) and was immediately given an NT Lorry licence. Yes, that’s what they called it. [emoji38]

I thought I was in heaven, apart from the 16 punctures on the first trip, all changed by me and repaired by me back at the base, as well as a full service (by me) each time, I really was. :open_mouth: [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

What a start to life down under. Jumping in at the deep end. 16 punctures on your first trip, probably repaired in the heat as well.
You mentioned India, did you also drive there?
Johnny

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

The return run, loaded with cows, was mainly done at night, so not so hot. That was not for our benefit but because the beasts were loaded at dusk, it being thought that these semi wild ones were calmer then. I carried 4 spare wheels on each trailer, thus 12 in all, the balance of 4 were donated by following trains as they arrived (we didn’t drive in close convoy because of the dust) and mended them all old style using patches and French chalk, but back at ‘home’.

And no, no driving in India. I co-piloted a bus from South London to Lahore, Pakistan and then, using bus, taxi and trains (including walking across the 100 yard buffer zone at the border because the 2 countries were on the point of war) to New Delhi where I lived in a hostel eating on the street till the rupees ran out. Then, draining the bank account at home, by air via Hong Kong to Darwin. If I was younger I would do it all again, but the world is much more dangerous now. :slight_smile:

Love those old Scamells Dean B MML Oily it should keep Patrick and Johnny happy for a day or two.

Good day Spardo
You have conquered the heavy driving world by the sound of it,
Sounds like you beat me by a couple of years to the Kimberlys but my first full season on the cattle was 1973 and Buntine Roadways were equipping their fleet with the first double deckers Hallmark trailers with the spread bogies used to scare the c… out of me just watching them with Flintstone Macks up front they were shifting cattle from Mulla Bulla station near Halls Creek to the rail head at Meekatharra, wild crew as I recall rum being the favoured beverage on the odd day off, I got to meet a few over the years Marbles, Bruce Peppermill [■■■■■■ Boby Dodds road boss, Harry Carra, Sarge, Donney Campbell to name a few good men in a hard job and of course mechanic John Allen had Mack written in his soul and still has who lived on the job in Katherine.I believe they have Facebook page so their might be one or two still bopping around.
Didn’t it make it tough those nights when no breeze and the bull dust would just hang forever,I recall pulling up one night on the Myrooda low level crossing of the Fitzroy river to wash the windscreens and lights to find a 12 foot salty waiting to say good day,the windscreens stayed dusty for a while lol.
In the Territory I think 19 was the minimum age to get a truck licence where it was 21 here in WA but I think it was recognised in both states
You would notice a difference nowadays in the NT the main hwys and roads have been sealed and all the meat works are long gone all live export these days.
I did 9 trips with out a flat tire then got 10 on the tenth but no following trucks so out came the tire levers on a truck bay as I only carried 8 spares on the 3 trailers, happy days ,lived on tin dog and rice cream .I don’t eat tinned meats anymore it all tasted the same we would make a stew with the meats and tinned vegetables the bread was dried hard like toast but not toasted drinking water was in a canvas water bag hanging on the bull bar to keep it cool ,the other bag had a slit in the top and any fresh meat or butter was wrapped in newspaper and kept in the water,it would last 3or 4 days.
It was good to get invited to a stock camp for a meal fresh meat from a killer and damper or bread if they had a good cook,smother a slice of damper in treacle for sweets.
In the later years we had 2 way radios with the RFDS [Royal Flying Doctors Service} wavelength fitted so we at least had communication after hours with other trucks all over the top end and the first Engel fridges what a luxury.
Enough reminiscing from me
My only regret I only had an old box browny camera that cost half a days pay for a film and getting it printed not like today in the digital world.
Cheers Dig

Oh dear, I fear we may be accused of thread drift if we continue this DIG, but, as we are talking long wagons perhaps if I make it short.

Only Noel drove the only R model Mack and it was double drive so, along with George’s (rum and pills) body (rigid) truck and its double bogie, they were always in attendance to drag us through the rivers if necessary.

The only name I remember from those you mention was Bob Dobbs, but not sure if I met him or not. My memory is terrible these days but the young bloke I first went with was Kevin Renahan. He later flipped his last trailer and we got him upright using the above 2 wagons, pulling in different directions. Lost a few cows out of the top though. The road boss was Ray Mantoba, although Noel himself was always with us. Ray’s home was in Brisbane and he was one of the few that went on the wheat in NSW during the wet when everyone else was laid off. There was a half-breed Aboriginal called Connolly. He had a lame leg and a fierce attitude but was ok if left to himself. I’m not a bad mimic but his strong NT accent I have never been able to reproduce.

Nobody seemed to bother about the saltys, (crocodiles), and certainly didn’t warn me as I would stop in the middle of the Victoria River and literally fall out of the cab to cool off. We slept in the bulldust under the trailers although that was supposed to be inhabited by snakes and scorpions. Later, heading south to Victoria I found a snake in my sleeping bag after I woke in the morning. He must have crawled in to keep warm, bless 'im. :neutral_face:

We only ate tinned sausages in beans on the road and steak, stubbies and Beenleigh (rum) back at the base. Small wonder poor old George needed pills to keep him going. One morning in the garage I saw his feet sticking out of the cab door and feared the worst. But he had been working on the gearbox for some reason and had fallen asleep with his arms hanging down through the hole. :open_mouth:

The meatworks was near to the base and the smell was awful. It was a long time before I could eat brown windsor soup again. :frowning:

No radios, CBs or phones, but we were nearly always in convoy. If not, and we broke down it was just a matter of sitting and waiting for a little plane to fly over looking for us. Always had plenty of tins and water (40 gallons on each trailer to keep those wonderful canvas bags in rotation) so no need to panic. :unamused:

Noel Buntine was a pioneer of sorts, there were others before but he is the hero, and I was proud to know him. I see they have named a highway after him now. :smiley:

Unlike you though, no camera, I had a good one, but left it in my luggage in storage in Delhi to lighten the load for the plane. :smiling_imp: Got everything back in England years later, still got the camera now, but not digital so, not used. :frowning:

Spardo:
Oh dear, I fear we may be accused of thread drift if we continue this DIG, but, as we are talking long wagons perhaps if I make it short.

Only Noel drove the only R model Mack and it was double drive so, along with George’s (rum and pills) body (rigid) truck and its double bogie, they were always in attendance to drag us through the rivers if necessary.

The only name I remember from those you mention was Bob Dobbs, but not sure if I met him or not. My memory is terrible these days but the young bloke I first went with was Kevin Renahan. He later flipped his last trailer and we got him upright using the above 2 wagons, pulling in different directions. Lost a few cows out of the top though. The road boss was Ray Mantoba, although Noel himself was always with us. Ray’s home was in Brisbane and he was one of the few that went on the wheat in NSW during the wet when everyone else was laid off. There was a half-breed Aboriginal called Connolly. He had a lame leg and a fierce attitude but was ok if left to himself. I’m not a bad mimic but his strong NT accent I have never been able to reproduce.

Nobody seemed to bother about the saltys, (crocodiles), and certainly didn’t warn me as I would stop in the middle of the Victoria River and literally fall out of the cab to cool off. We slept in the bulldust under the trailers although that was supposed to be inhabited by snakes and scorpions. Later, heading south to Victoria I found a snake in my sleeping bag after I woke in the morning. He must have crawled in to keep warm, bless 'im. :neutral_face:

We only ate tinned sausages in beans on the road and steak, stubbies and Beenleigh (rum) back at the base. Small wonder poor old George needed pills to keep him going. One morning in the garage I saw his feet sticking out of the cab door and feared the worst. But he had been working on the gearbox for some reason and had fallen asleep with his arms hanging down through the hole. :open_mouth:

The meatworks was near to the base and the smell was awful. It was a long time before I could eat brown windsor soup again. :frowning:

No radios, CBs or phones, but we were nearly always in convoy. If not, and we broke down it was just a matter of sitting and waiting for a little plane to fly over looking for us. Always had plenty of tins and water (40 gallons on each trailer to keep those wonderful canvas bags in rotation) so no need to panic. :unamused:

Noel Buntine was a pioneer of sorts, there were others before but he is the hero, and I was proud to know him. I see they have named a highway after him now. :smiley:

Unlike you though, no camera, I had a good one, but left it in my luggage in storage in Delhi to lighten the load for the plane. :smiling_imp: Got everything back in England years later, still got the camera now, but not digital so, not used. :frowning:

Great insights into your working lives a “year or two back” Spardo and DIG. Thanks for sharing them.
I think the heat would have finished me off even before I got started [emoji3].
Johnny

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Thanks Johnny, my pleasure, and am sure DIG’s too. After all, who doesn’t like talking about themselves. :laughing:

One question to DIG, are you still there in WA? Our little diversion set me to googling (maps and streets). You’re right about the changes, even the tracks are sealed now. :open_mouth: And I looked at the Victoria River and Ord River crossings where we used to drive down and through. High speed highway bridges now, no need for Noel’s bogie drive to pull us through . :laughing: I think I can just see the trace of the old crossing though.

And Kunanurra. By passed now as then by the highway, we weren’t allowed to turn down that long dual carriageway so walked in the blistering midday heat half a mile to the pub for a midi or three. It wasn’t closed but wouldn’t serve us beer, only spit roasted chooks, we forgot we weren’t in the badlands any more, we had crossed the border into ‘civilisation’. I’m sure NT had some laws, but nobody seemed to worry about them. :laughing:

Rumour had it that old George (rum and pills) was a wanted man in Victoria, the NT cops knew all about him but the deal was they wouldn’t deport him as long as he stayed in plain sight. He was in prison alright, just not in a Victorian one. :laughing:

As a penance to PV83, for all this yacking, I’ll see if I can dig up a pic or two from somewhere. :blush:

Spardo:
Thanks Johnny, my pleasure, and am sure DIG’s too. After all, who doesn’t like talking about themselves. :laughing:

One question to DIG, are you still there in WA? Our little diversion set me to googling (maps and streets). You’re right about the changes, even the tracks are sealed now. :open_mouth: And I looked at the Victoria River and Ord River crossings where we used to drive down and through. High speed highway bridges now, no need for Noel’s bogie drive to pull us through . :laughing: I think I can just see the trace of the old crossing though.

And Kunanurra. By passed now as then by the highway, we weren’t allowed to turn down that long dual carriageway so walked in the blistering midday heat half a mile to the pub for a midi or three. It wasn’t closed but wouldn’t serve us beer, only spit roasted chooks, we forgot we weren’t in the badlands any more, we had crossed the border into ‘civilisation’. I’m sure NT had some laws, but nobody seemed to worry about them. :laughing:

Rumour had it that old George (rum and pills) was a wanted man in Victoria, the NT cops knew all about him but the deal was they wouldn’t deport him as long as he stayed in plain sight. He was in prison alright, just not in a Victorian one. :laughing:

As a penance to PV83, for all this yanking, I’ll see if I can dig up a pic or two from somewhere. :blush:

Yes indeed David I.m still here in WA,I moved back to Perth in 1986 my apologies also to Patrick for hijacking the thread but it is nice to chat with someone who was at the start of an era which to me as a new chum from the old country played such a part in our decision to stay here,being a truck mechanic or Diesel fitter as described on my BRS apprenticeship papers I got to see the Heavy Haulage of northern Aus the cattle trains soon after arriving and so it was a simple choice for me to want to be associated with these monsters of the Oz Hwys.
For those who wish to know a little more about Noel Buntine there is an article in the 10-4 Magazine called Legend of the Outback part 2 if you google it you will find out all about the man who Spardo worked for and there is some pictures of the trucks of that time one possibly the one you drove a B model Mack Thermadyne.
I regret I.m unable to get the link it needs a guru like Dean B to achieve it.

Cheers Dig

Just so you know I don’t just only remanise about my driving days I came out of retirement a couple of weeks ago after a call from Rob my mate who purchased all my equipment 10odd years ago and needed a second driver for an oilfield Hotshot [non stop] from Perth WA to Melbourne docks Victoria leaving the next morning Sunday the 13th to arrive Tuesday 7am the 15th then Rob was going to fly me home that evening but a return load was obtained on Monday the 14th to leave Melbourne on Thursday the 17th for delivery the following Monday,I offered to stay and do the return trip with Rob and he was happy with that as he would get some extra time at home.
So we left 11am Sunday arrived Mel just before 7am tues day departed 11am on thursday arriving Perth
5am Sat the 19th.
The truck is a Mack Superliner 600hp Volvo engine 18speed road ranger gear box triple rated 1600litres of fuel 2 berth sleeper micro wave fridge with cold meats salad fruit bread rolls cheese and a hot water flask. Round trip a tad over 7000kms.Not exactly Heavy Haul but the truck is capable of it. lol

Cheers Dig