"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Going back to the early days of heavy haulage…

One for Herr Sutherland :wink:

DISPATCHER:

Cheers Chris, hope you’re well?

Those bogies in the 2nd pic, were those ex-Pickfords?

Moving house back in the day…

Some more from the shoe box collection…

Going back in time a few years…

pv83:
One for DIG :wink:

Thanks Patrick I was a bit of a fan of the Aussie Atkinson so I did a bit of research on that particular lorry it was believed to have been powered by a 335hp ■■■■■■■ 2x Spicer gearboxs which would have meant in those days 2 gearsticks and heavy duty Kirkstall axles.
They were a custom built truck some later models had 3408 Cat engines at 430hp.

Dig

pv83:

Interesting pictures, Patrick, as usual! I’m wondering what can be the load on second picture? A kind of generator for an electric power station maybe? The landscape suggests Devon Moors or perhaps Scotland. It looks there’s a special steam pusher too…

Hi Patrick alls fine this way,trust alls well your way

Crane bogies ex Edward Beck all hydraulic 8in line

940-03.jpgGood morning pv83,

As requested, this is the used truck: ;

Mercedes-Benz Titan Actros 4163SLT 250 metric tonne,
2017 8x4
I have bought the rear unit in the picture.

My “new” truck is a Scania S730 8X4 , which is forecast to start building in April next year.

I attach a picture of what I hope it will look like!!

thKAIXUY87.jpg

Couple of photo’s after Magnaload became part of Econofreight. First is a DAF.

And for Dean F89 pulling said DAF ,if remember rightly i don’t think many drivers rated the DAF after the F89 and Scammell.

Froggy55:

pv83:

Interesting pictures, Patrick, as usual! I’m wondering what can be the load on second picture? A kind of generator for an electric power station maybe? The landscape suggests Devon Moors or perhaps Scotland. It looks there’s a special steam pusher too…

Foggy, it was a 70 ton stator being delivered to Tummel power station. Loaded off the train at Struan Station in 1932.
Notice the steel plates under the wheels. Would have been hard labour to keep picking, and placing those.
Cheers. Colin.

Yes indeed; moreover, the plates must have been very thick to prevent the wheels to sink in the track. I guess the move must have been very slow, but nevertheless. I had guessed rignt about the location (near Perth, Scotland)

colinwallace1:

Froggy55:

pv83:

Foggy, it was a 70 ton stator being delivered to Tummel power station. Loaded off the train at Struan Station in 1932.
Notice the steel plates under the wheels. Would have been hard labour to keep picking, and placing those.
Cheers. Colin.

Didn’t they used to use oiled steel plates before the prevalence of steering axles, especially in N. America, to get such loads round corners on ordinary roads?

DIG:

pv83:
One for DIG :wink:

Thanks Patrick I was a bit of a fan of the Aussie Atkinson so I did a bit of research on that particular lorry it was believed to have been powered by a 335hp ■■■■■■■ 2x Spicer gearboxs which would have meant in those days 2 gearsticks and heavy duty Kirkstall axles.
They were a custom built truck some later models had 3408 Cat engines at 430hp.

Dig

Cheers for the info DIG, would have been a great sight on UK roads, if they had introduced it on the UK market that is…

DISPATCHER:
Hi Patrick alls fine this way,trust alls well your way

Crane bogies ex Edward Beck all hydraulic 8in line

Cheers Chris, all is well down here, thank you :wink:

How long did you used those bogies for? Must have seen quite some action if they came from Beck’s…?

EDTRUCK:
1Good morning pv83,

As requested, this is the used truck: ;

Mercedes-Benz Titan Actros 4163SLT 250 metric tonne,
2017 8x4
I have bought the rear unit in the picture.

My “new” truck is a Scania S730 8X4 , which is forecast to start building in April next year.

I attach a picture of what I hope it will look like!!

Cheers for the info Ed. Nosretti is a haulier from the Czech republic if I remember correctly, did you bought it directly from them or from a dealership?

Looks great though and the performance is cracking. I reckon the older models are better/tougher built than the more modern versions (MP4 is it?).

Your choice of buying a Scanny will sound like music to the ears for some regular viewer on here… may I ask why you opted for a Scania instead of a Volvo?

jshepguis:
Couple of photo’s after Magnaload became part of Econofreight. First is a DAF.

And for Dean F89 pulling said DAF ,if remember rightly i don’t think many drivers rated the DAF after the F89 and Scammell.

Cheers jsepguis for the pic’s :wink:

But don’t tell Dean that about the Volvo, before you know it he’ll be posting tons of F88/89 stuff on here… aka mobile shed material… :stuck_out_tongue:

colinwallace1:

Froggy55:

pv83:

Cheers. Colin.

Cheers for the info Colin, only thing I knew about it was that it was stator wheel going from Manchester up north to Scotland, trip took place in 1936ish…? hope that’s your question answered Paul :wink: