Thanks Dean. We both know someone who likes them even more. [emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Real heavy stuff :sunglasses:
Oily

STGO eurodaily3510 46926445144_d290fda0b8_ed k.jpg

Bit more Oily.

Click on page twice.

Some more bonsai heavy haul from me, although I may be going a little bigger with more axles next week.

facebook.com/85740774793487 … /?sfnsn=mo

Here’s another Facebook find.

newmercman:
A week full of drama for me. Had an airline come apart at 70mph and lock all my trailer wheels, pulled over to the shoulder nice and easy and it all went fine until that point, then the camber of the road and physics took over and the trailer went into the ditch and started to drag me in with it. I managed to stop a few feet away from slicing through a section of armco barrier, got it back up on the road with the aid of diff locks and large portions of size 12.

Luckily I was empty and on a clear stretch of interstate, not so lucky were the trailer tyres, eight of the twelve, I had the middle axle lifted as I was empty, were worn down to the cords. It could have been a catastrophe, loaded I would’ve been upside down, in traffic it would’ve been a demolition derby.

I replaced the fitting at the next spares place I found and went to load my next job, then got the tyres sorted and made my way home, but the forces of evil followed me, my truck started filling only one tank with return fuel and sucking fuel from the other, so I had to keep stopping to level them out and play musical chairs with two pairs of vice grips, shutting off different fuel lines at different times to try and get home. Then spent last night underneath it blowing out crossover valves and fuel lines, back up there in a bit to carry on trying to get it fixed.

Anyway, here’s the tractor I picked up and a shot of the trailer in the ditch for your viewing pleasure.

Sorry to learn of your bad week, I think you did very well out of a bad situation…I assume a new drivers seat cushion is on order too…but I’m amazed the Pete got that trailer out, it looks high centered, so not many trucks would have…and I often recall the drivers who waxed lyrical that cross lock diffs were a waste of money…it’s times like those that dictate otherwise…

Yeah I was lucky to drag that out, as you say, the diffs all being locked up saved an expensive recovery and the attention of the local constabulary. For me they’re a no brainer with our winters, especially at the higher weights I pull, trying to get 63tons off the line on shiny ice is not easy, but with everything locked up it gets away with hardly any wheelspin, it’s also much kinder to the driveline as you don’t really get that transition from spinning to gripping that sends a jolt right through to the crankshaft. It’s also useful when backing under the trailer when I’ve put it back together and the deck is on the floor, in a dusty or muddy yard it’s easy to dig yourself into a hole.

Cometto trailer brochure.

Click on pages twice to read.

pv83:
Very low gearing or crawler gears indeed! Remember those mighty Scammels of old? They could shift just about everything, but were only fitted with a engine that produced 335hp at best, the secret is to be found in the gearbox, only downside to having such low gearing is that the top speed isn’t all that brilliant, for some of those wagons 30mph was top speed…

Proper Scammels, in the 60’s pulled 100+ tons solo with 150 hp Leyland or Gardner engines with no problem

jsutherland:

DEANB:
Heres one for you Johnny as i know you like these. :wink:

Thanks Dean. We both know someone who likes them even more. [emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Who’s that you’re referring to Johnny…? :wink:

Cheers Dean, did any of those Commanders ended up in civvy street I wonder…

oiltreader:
Real heavy stuff :sunglasses:
Oily

Cheers Oily, looks like those are the turbines they use at sea?

newmercman:
A week full of drama for me. Had an airline come apart at 70mph and lock all my trailer wheels, pulled over to the shoulder nice and easy and it all went fine until that point, then the camber of the road and physics took over and the trailer went into the ditch and started to drag me in with it. I managed to stop a few feet away from slicing through a section of armco barrier, got it back up on the road with the aid of diff locks and large portions of size 12.

Luckily I was empty and on a clear stretch of interstate, not so lucky were the trailer tyres, eight of the twelve, I had the middle axle lifted as I was empty, were worn down to the cords. It could have been a catastrophe, loaded I would’ve been upside down, in traffic it would’ve been a demolition derby.

I replaced the fitting at the next spares place I found and went to load my next job, then got the tyres sorted and made my way home, but the forces of evil followed me, my truck started filling only one tank with return fuel and sucking fuel from the other, so I had to keep stopping to level them out and play musical chairs with two pairs of vice grips, shutting off different fuel lines at different times to try and get home. Then spent last night underneath it blowing out crossover valves and fuel lines, back up there in a bit to carry on trying to get it fixed.

Anyway, here’s the tractor I picked up and a shot of the trailer in the ditch for your viewing pleasure.

Something similar happened to me some years ago and I too was fortunately running empty on a quiet national road in France, one of the air couplings (that was put on a week earlier) gave way, was able to park up in a layby, didn’t had the right coupling with me, so dropped the trailer and went to the nearest Scanny dealership (just over the border in Couvin, Belgium) where I bought a new type, just clicked it on, job done! That lastest until that trailer was put into retirement. No doubt it’s still earning it’s keep somewhere on this planet, as does that Scanny that I drove at the time.

Happy days indeed! :wink:

newmercman:
Redirecting...

Now that’s a proper low loader! :wink:

Fergie47:

pv83:
Very low gearing or crawler gears indeed! Remember those mighty Scammels of old? They could shift just about everything, but were only fitted with a engine that produced 335hp at best, the secret is to be found in the gearbox, only downside to having such low gearing is that the top speed isn’t all that brilliant, for some of those wagons 30mph was top speed…

Proper Scammels, in the 60’s pulled 100+ tons solo with 150 hp Leyland or Gardner engines with no problem

Indeed they did, according to the footage I’ve seen… :wink:

I’m glad my noble steed has got some more horses under the bonnet though.

DEANB:
Cometto trailer brochure.

Interesting to see some of their “little” trailers for a change Dean :wink:

P1010282(1).JPG

P1010266(1).JPG

P1010280(2).jpg

DISPATCHER:

Cheers Chris, hope you’re keeping well.

Interesting drawbar trailer in the first photo, was that a in-house lengthened job?