Geographical Knowledge

I’ve never been able to work out why it’s such a long way from Northampton to Southampton. :wink:

Lonewolf Yorks:
In this case theres a world of difference…

I’m from North Yorkshire which is the biggest county in the country on its own although with the smallest population!

My partner is from South Yorks which to us might as well be France lol. I go down there regularly and they’re nowt like us. Much more like Wessies (West Yorkshire folk). Which isn’t entirely surprising as most of what is now South Yorks was part of the West Riding. We never had a South Riding. West Yorkshire of flat caps and whippet rustlers, the stereotypical view of Yorkshire folk and couldn’t be further from the truth up here!

I come under the north-east rather than Yorkshire. I live nearer to Newcastle than I do to Leeds and Boro is the local football team. Notts would fit into North Yorkshire around 3 or 4 times which is probably why there isn’t a North Notts!

The ones that really make me laugh are those southrons that scuttle up to Manchester and then say they’ve been ‘up north’…hahaha thats barely out of the Midlands. Theres a whole 3rd of the country north of the M62!

Yep, I’m one of those southrons that doesn’t call Manchester ‘up north.’

I certainly wouldn’t have been able to name all the counties the M1 runs through as it’s not my patch so to speak, although I would have got a fair few. Ask me for the M6 then no problem.

Someone once followed their sat nav 50 miles in an easterly direction when they should have been going 50 miles west as they put the post code in wrong. You’d have thought at some point, with any tiny bit of geographical knowledge that some of the place names on road signs didn’t look right.

You can’t expect a lot of people to have as good knowledge on this than us lot, but it’s also surprising at how poor some people’s is.

A relative of a friend of mine drove to Gt Yarmouth on her own for the first time and simply entered ‘Yarmouth’ into her satnav as she knew the way from the outskirts to the destination but was unsure of the actual route from herts, for the first hour she was doubtful as she didn’t recognise any of the roads, got Winchester services before stopping to confirm her route when a passer by explained the difference between Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight and Great Yarmouth.

As for being up north, I used to work around North London with a workmate who called anywhere outside the north circ ‘up north’, so Manchester to him would be the North Pole.

I’d stopped…

Northbound at a small garage on the A168 heading for Middlesborough. A young lady came over to me and asked if this was the way to Blackpool. I explained she was going in the opposite direction and gave her directions to Blackpool from there.
She then told me she had started in Bristol that morning.

Here’s my question. And don’t ask me the answer as I don’t know.
But why is Leeds castle in Kent?

edd1974:
Here’s my question. And don’t ask me the answer as I don’t know.
But why is Leeds castle in Kent?

It’s named after a person, not any geographic location.

My years on the coach tours have paid off :laughing:

Harry Monk:
I’ve never been able to work out why it’s such a long way from Northampton to Southampton. :wink:

Or why Hampton Court is nowhere near either?

Driver shouts to pedestrian " excuse me mate, Hampton Court? "
Pedestrian " no mate, I always walk like this"

I’ll get me coat
Bernard

Wimbledon being in Milton Keynes.

When even the BBC used to mark Oxford as in the South East .
I love confusing the youngsters by giving them quotes about north of Watford Gap , which most think of as Watford, north of the Wash . Then throw in the Home Counties and watch the confusion spread across their faces .
Every thing below the Thames is The South except if it’s within the M25 then it’s London , does Middlesex still exist? Where does the Midlands start and end ?
Is the Lake District separate or is it the north or even the north west ?
Why are many people supprised how big Scotland is ?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My question is how can there be a pier in Wigan when it isn’t coastal ? [emoji6]

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
When even the BBC used to mark Oxford as in the South East .
I love confusing the youngsters by giving them quotes about north of Watford Gap , which most think of as Watford, north of the Wash . Then throw in the Home Counties and watch the confusion spread across their faces .
Every thing below the Thames is The South except if it’s within the M25 then it’s London , does Middlesex still exist? Where does the Midlands start and end ?
Is the Lake District separate or is it the north or even the north west ?
Why are many people supprised how big Scotland is ?

Oxford?
Oh, I guess you mean Christminster?
Since Wessex was absorbed inth England I can’t keep up with it all.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

DF40:
My question is how can there be a pier in Wigan when it isn’t coastal ? [emoji6]

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

George Orwell has the answer there.
:wink:

There was a Bulgarian driver rolled into Wick (North of Scotland) should have tipped in Westwick N e. England. I had a break once in a café at Thornhill near Dumfries when a delivery man came in asking for directions. The staff couldn’t help and he started getting a%%sey with them. I asked him if he had a postcode. he goes yes ■■ . He was in the wrong Thornhill .We had a right laugh when I told them that ■■ stands for Falkirk.

Good cafe that one in Thornhill. Is it still there and if so can you still park outside? Bet it’s a 7.5 limit now :frowning:

not geographical knowledge as such , but i did have a driver mistake the customers name for the delivery address on the first delivery on his multi drop load and took the delivery back to our customer in manchester (from where it had come the previous night) from northampton, should have been delivered to milton keynes , kind of put paid to the rest of the day and a bit of a strange phone call from an unhappy customer

Long time back ( late 70’s) One guy had to go to Gillingham empty from Southampton for an urgent collection. Understandably he went to Kent. Collection was in Dorset.
No heads rolled, but lots of buck passing went on!

OK, so how many of you have at least set off to the wrong Newtown, or the wrong Newcastle?

Wigton where the kf is the factory !!! is the question I was asked by the tanker driver with the red face on a country lane in SW Scotland in the backwoods Wigtown out by Stranraer and Newton Stewart more than a few yrs ago. I was only there visiting my brother out on a bar lunch ,my brother tells him no factory by that name iirc something films.,me being happy on holiday asked the red faced Essex sounding driver can I see your lines please told him after a glance he #1 was in the wrong country ,#2 about 100+miles away on the other side o the Solway firth .Seems he loaded in NE England and had been booked in to unload 3 hrs ago. told him to follow us back to the 75 and wished him well.

I used to work for a garage in Kingsdown in Kent .
A regular occurance on a saturday between 12 -2pm would be very smartly dressed people looking for churches of various names other than the one in the village . Without fail they were wanting West Kingsdown. Kingsdown is bang on the coast at the very edge of the White Cliffs of Dover , West Kingsdown is near Brands Hatch close to the M25 .
The crestfallen look on their faces as you explained how far away the correct church was always funny . Trying to imagine the conversation in the cars for the following couple of hours always gave us a laugh .