Genuine questions for a new pass doing agency?

I’m at work now myself. I have a pretty easy time of it shunting. So far, about 8 trailers all night, and there are 2 shunters! :slight_smile: plenty of coffee and ■■■ breaks, in fact I spend more hours on break than I do actually doing anything. Trust me when I say that it does get easier and that the cushy well paid jobs are out there! Are you class one? If so, I know of a vacancy soon! Lol

sammym:

albion:
Oh. Perhaps stick to PhDing then, probably easier :smiley:

Is there really any need for that?

I’d love to be perfect. But I did mess up. However, I still got all my loads delivered. And was good enough to be asked back tomorrow at 6.30.

Anyone who is on this part of the forum is a newbie… So my only advice after today is: check, check, check and check some more. And if there is stuff in the way on a bay tell them to move it rather than making life even harder for yourself. It’s better to upset the warehouse staff - and look like a fool taking 15 mins to get on a bay than filling out accident paperwork. I am shocking at reversing. And when I get out and check even I can do it… The guys who do it and make it look easy have been doing it for a long time.

Oh… and buy a clipboard. Your paperwork is going to be a nighmare. For each drop you will have 3/4 different forms to fill in.

If you have a choice between a Renault (which I learned on at PSTT) and a Volvo - pick the Renault. Nearly identical. Same gearbox and everything. But the volvo has the handbrake in the ridiculous position the world ever knew. It’s actually behind you.

Most people in real life will happily help you. No one I asked for help today said no or minded at all. People will go out of there way to help if you are respectful and ask nicely. So ask all the time if you are unsure.

Finally - don’t let anyone on here tell you that there is no work. I got offered a job nearly straight after signing up (hours after). And even though I made a complete mess I was offered work for the next day. So there is work, and it doesn’t require experience. But you will be doing a lot of learning real quick.

PS - the satnav will take you to where the cars and customers are meant to go. Unless it’s an RDC you are meant to go elsewhere. Use streetview and google earth to find this place. It’s not nice going in somewhere that isn’t designed for trucks and having to try and turn around or reverse out. It’s something you won’t think about until your first job unless you have worked in warehouses.

Surely you must be able to take a joke? You have a similar story to me except I’m only doing a part time degree from the open uni, but if you can’t even have the mickey taken a bit you’re in the wrong job, just learn to give it back.

Also Albion imho is the guy who speaks the most sense on the entire forum from what I see.

JakeWS:
Also Albion imho is the guy who speaks the most sense on the entire forum from what I see.

You hoping for a job :laughing:

harrawaffa:

JakeWS:

You hoping for a job :laughing:

Too far I’ve already offered my services if he was ever stuck!

He could have one if he was closer :laughing:

albion:
He could have one if he was closer :laughing:

I just realised reading another thread you aren’t a he or a guy at all! I can only apologise, but most likely explains why you talk so much sense!

No need to apologise! I’m a bit of a rare breed :wink: