Ford Transcontinental

Here you have some Dutch Ford’ s. This wan has raiden by Frans Maas at Groningen.

Salut, Bert Wolters.

Baccy Bill’s Apprentice:
This is a good site for Transcon’s www.fordtranscontinental.nl

It appears copyright isn’t observed much these days!

its all inoccent enough !!!. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Guys
Heres a pic that I took of Bob Hedley’s Transcon Con in the Desert at Baiji, Iraq, on Christmas Day 1989.

And here is one on the same morning at Mosul, check out the Christmas hat’s

TIR Original:

Spardo:

■■■■ Turpin:
Allways wanted to drive a transcon. But i drove the french version Berliet tr320.

Not being picky, but was that really a ‘French version’?
As far as I am aware the Berliet preceded the Transcon and was a totally
different motor, the cab shell only (with a couple of modifications) being
bought by Ford to save designing and tooling up themselves.

Absolutely correct David, the Berliet certainly did precede the Transcon as that version of the Berliet came out in 1971/2 . In fact I’m sure you know that was the last lorry they made for the commercial market. Berliet still produced lorries after this but as you know they only produced military vehicles for use by the French Army. The french had the actual Ford Transcon the same as the rest of Europe but with a difference to ours. You would not realise the difference unless you were parked next to one as I did on several occasions.
The first time was in Cognac whilst loading brandy for the UK. When I noticed that his bumper was a full bumper height above mine and this went for the whole cab. So I tried this in every lorry park I could and found it the same with every one of them. I drove two different Transcons one S reg. and one X reg. and the same went for both of them. The difference in height would have been about 12 inches. Does anyone else know of this difference and can anybody explain why the British cabs were that much lower.

Could it be the heavier duty springs :question: the French, bless em, were allowed to have 13t drive axles legally, that’s why our f10s were 1017s & theirs 1020s, our Mercs were 16■■ theirs were 19■■, our Fiats 170s theirs 190s etc etc etc :exclamation:

OLT:
somebody still loves 'em

If I’m not mistaken, this one is either still working, or was until very recently. Pulling a low loader I think.

A very handsome lorry.

Somebody once mentioned something about the Magnum being designed loosely on the Transcon chassis. Is there any credibility to this?

It was stull working when I took this in April 2005

The red one with the low loader belongs to Paul Binns who has the worse hairstyle outside of Germany :smiling_imp:
He owns the 2nd hand lorry dealers that you can see from the A14 in the Cambs/Northants area, he used to run his own motors & had a couple of blinged up 143s when they first came out

You are probably right about the suspension Newmercman. I did think suspension myself but couldnt really see why it would be necessary. It also seemed strange that it was every one that I came across. You must be correct though 'cause I cant think of anything else and there was no difference in the body designs. So thanks mate.

Didn’t he have a D reg Daf 3800 super space cab too? Recently doing the shows and being featured in a magazine about 2 years ago on a trip to Europe with a few other period trucks?

this 77 transcon is owned by dijkman transports , he bought the transcon in 2005 and restored the 4x2 , the ford is still in use each day

ezydriver:
Didn’t he have a D reg Daf 3800 super space cab too? Recently doing the shows and being featured in a magazine about 2 years ago on a trip to Europe with a few other period trucks?

He (Paul Binns) did go along with a gang of old timers down to either Carisio or they went up to the Volvo/Scania factories, may have been both, don’t know about the Space Cab but he did a brand new 3300 on a C plate I think, it was in EVS colours & looked the nuts, he didn’t keep it long though. Now I think about it I’m sure that his dad ran a couple of tidy old 95s on Europa work a couple of years back, ain’t seem em around for a while though :question:

TIR Original:
You are probably right about the suspension Newmercman. I did think suspension myself but couldnt really see why it would be necessary. It also seemed strange that it was every one that I came across. You must be correct though 'cause I cant think of anything else and there was no difference in the body designs. So thanks mate.

That must’ve been peculiar to the French, I’ve just checked out the Transcon website & the UK, dutch & German ones appear to be the same height. I’m still going with the spring idea, the kermits did have some unusual ideas, they used to run those triaxles that had such small axle spacings that the tyres almost touched.

Either that or they all had the 5th wheel right back for their long pin trailers & 13t going through the drive axle making it sit up & beg, or it could be that your one was heavy on the front end :question:

I remeber seeing a couple of Paul binns blinged up Scanias when i was on for RFS (Reeve Freight Services) pulling for Europa out of Erith. Bright green with loads of lights etc, one chap who was on RFS at the same time used to wet himself everytime he saw one. They were abit over the top for me, I would prefer a plain white unit and blue tilt anytime!!

Drove this beast for a few weeks when i came out the workshop (going back a few years now) :laughing: 350double drive.

sorry about qulity of pic.

Thats the ones Bullitt, Binnsey started with EVS as Europa was formerly known from the Northampton depot, he astarted off witrh puddle jumpers & got the 3300 i mentioned when he passed his test, he only did the odd run over the water for Europa, the green 143s did italy for Butts/Rogers/Patrick/Wrefords, well it was one of them :exclamation:
He had a driver called Chris who took over the Scanias when he got in to selling lorries, agree with the green thing & a nice blend in with eveybody else blue & white suited me too :wink:

big bob headley every one told me he was an (animal) i done my seconed trip 2 doha with bob & he was the best man i ever met cooked me breakfast every morning & told me i was a w/ker every day but we ran 2gether loads of time after that first trip i think he liked my cheek wel am stil alive[ respected]

Mo Baker ran some tidy “Henry’s” as he called them anyone got any pics?

Regards Pat

Do any transcon fans no what happend to VAY 705S it used to be on FRTS federated road transport services out of Market Harborough depot and owned for a while by owner operator Nigel Lawman from Finedon Northants.
It was on front cover of commercial motor when new.
steve.

If anyone is interested there are 2 Transcontis for sale on e-bay at the moment they are both rigids & look fairly rough though.

Sorry don’t know how to do the link.