Fodens.

coomsey:

Star down under.:
Rusty Iron truck show, Macksville NSW, September 2018. Not my picture.

Ye gods SDU! What engine, s in her? 12sp box?

Well coomsey I would say IMO It would defo have the old 12 speed box, Engine wise At a guess I would go for the good old Gardner 150, Or Perhaps the good old Leyland 680 PP. Whats your thougths my friend on this ?Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

coomsey:

Star down under.:

Well coomsey I would say IMO It would defo have the old 12 speed box, Engine wise At a guess I would go for the good old Gardner 150, Or Perhaps the good old Leyland 680 PP. Whats your thougths my friend on this ?Regards Larry.

Completely opposite Larry, as you can imagine. I’m thinking ■■■■■■■ / Detroit Eaton. But with the 150/12spd she’d pull like a gud un. Air intake n raised cab, must be summat else under her. Idlove to see her n even better have a spin

coomsey:

Lawrence Dunbar:

coomsey:

Star down under.:

Completely opposite Larry, as you can imagine. I’m thinking ■■■■■■■ / Detroit Eaton. But with the 150/12spd she’d pull like a gud un. Air intake n raised cab, must be summat else under her. Idlove to see her n even better have a spin

Paint her red n green put a Wilcox trailer on the back of her n you’d be the dogs, do you reckon Mr Dunbar?

coomsey:

Star down under.:

Enquiries are being made. :question:

Punchy Dan:
18 litre cat 575 ,very tempted :smiley: ,would make the Foden shift .

Take no notice of the 575hp rating, a lot of 550hp C15 ACERTs were rated at 435hp on the ID plate. A C18 would be pushing 700hp without any marine or industrial internals. Marine spec would be closer to 1000hp, now that would really make the Foden fly, it would take a gentle right foot to keep the driveline from becoming swarf.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Dan’s photo there was probably off a front end loader or single engine’d scraper box?

Sorry fellows, the picture taker doesn’t know any of the specs.
Re the raised intake, a common modification, particularly when working in dusty conditions. Back when this jigger was someone’s new pride and joy, unless it was running around town (highly unlikely), it more than probably would be operating on unsealed 'highways '.
Raised cab could be to alleviate high temp issues.

Star down under.:
Sorry fellows, the picture taker doesn’t know any of the specs.
Re the raised intake, a common modification, particularly when working in dusty conditions. Back when this jigger was someone’s new pride and joy, unless it was running around town (highly unlikely), it more than probably would be operating on unsealed 'highways '.
Raised cab could be to alleviate high temp issues.

Thanks S D U. Could well be Gardner 150 n 12sp then. Still she’s one of the best Mickey Mouses I’ve set my eyes on.

[zb]
anorak:
Not many 6 axle artics on British roads in the mid '60s. I wonder what this trailer was built for?
I found the photo here:
flickr.com/photos/89542201@ … 3299782998
Those albums are superb.

The sign writing on the Foden’s door indicates that it was owned by a brick transporting company from Leighton Buzzard,although I’m not sure that answers your question re the 3 axle trailer.

David

Coomsey:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Coomsey:

Star Down Under.:

Well Coomsey I would say IMO It would defo have the old 12 speed box, Engine wise At a guess I would go for the good old Gardner 150, Or Perhaps the good old Leyland 680 PP. Whats your thougths my friend on this ?Regards Larry.

Star Down Under.:

TruckNetUK .Old Time Lorries . Fodens ,Page 29 . VALKYRIE . Monday,10th September,2018.

Hello Coomsey and Lawrence :slight_smile: I hope that you are both keeping well.

This Foden S22-S23 Tropical Spaceship Sputnik was,according to it’s present (and original cab? :question: ) originally fitted with a ■■■■■■■ diesel
engine,but a Detroit Diesel,or Caterpillar or another a later ■■■■■■■ engine could now be powering it. It was probably originally fitted with
a Foden 12-Speed Gearbox and this Foden lorry model is probably an H-Type,but it could be an F-Type…or depending on what year it was built
a 6 model. Without asking the owner and/or seeing the specifications and/or finding out in some other way,including taking a close look at this Foden Spaceship Sputnik you cannot be 100% sure as to exactly what model it is! :exclamation: :slight_smile: And sometimes even the owners don’t know! :exclamation: :unamused: :smiling_imp: :slight_smile: The cab is not the model designation.

Foden S22 or S23 Tropical Spaceship Sputnik H-Type or 6 6x4 Lorry-Motor Truck. Macksville,New South Wales,Australia. 1#

.Foden S22 or S23 Tropical Spaceship Sputnik  H-Type or 6  6x4 Lorry-Motor Truck. Macksville,New South Wales,Australia. 1.jpg

VALKYRIE

Hello Valkyrie, as well as you with a bit of luck.
These Foden models are doing my head in, S22/23!! Suppose there must be a S38 or79 lurking somewhere. Cheers Coomsey

Heres a bit about Poden which was the name Fodens were sold under in Portugal.

Click on pages twice to read.

One or two, apologies if any posted previously.
Oily

Foden eastleighbusman cc by nd 2.0 34131024794_51357fc551_elbmk.jpg

oiltreader:
Oily

The D .Penny 4 wheeler looks like it’s an ex Shipstone Brewery lorry from Nottingham
Cheers Gary

gazsa401:

oiltreader:
Oily

The D .Penny 4 wheeler looks like it’s an ex Shipstone Brewery lorry from Nottingham
Cheers Gary

Hi “gazsa401” Its defo a Notts Reg, Also its a top rated photo IMO, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

gazsa401:

oiltreader:
Oily

Cheers Gary

Hi “gazsa401” Its defo a Notts Reg, Also its a top rated photo IMO, Regards Larry.

Hello Larry you’re quite right a cracking photo I remember the Fodens as a kid most were 2 strokers they were getting on by then
They were replaced by Leylands until being bought out by Greenalls if I can remember and sadly closed down some years laters
Cheers Gary

Looks like a serious bit of kit, any info? Nmp