First time running to Milan - Help!

Thanks Neil I’ll see what I can come up with. It was a long time ago but I may have something on another computer which involves unplugging, plugging, printing, unplugging, plugging, retyping, adding, subtracting, revamping etc. etc. etc…

Whatever happened to compatibility?

In the meantime, do any of the old mid east hands remember the name of the pass in eastern Turkey en route to Iran?

Salut, David.

“In the meantime, do any of the old mid east hands remember the name of the pass in eastern Turkey en route to Iran?”

I think the pass you are trying to recall is “Tahir Pass”.

Or maybe one called “Imranliye”.

Hope this helps.

Bullitt.

Bullitt,

Tahir, that’s the one. Only didn’t, but wanted, to remember it because that is not the way we went. For some reason we went south through Adana and then via Syria and Iraq. I know the regular truck route to Tehran was through the Tahir.

Thanks mate did you beat that, very hot, trail in the eighties then?

Salut, David.

The only time I went to Istanbul, I parked at the Londracamp. I had heard of this legendary place many times.

This was quite recently- 1996 I think.

But it was like visiting a time-warp. Dilapidated Daf 3300`s were having emergency welding repairs, punctures were being mended using pop-riveted patches, parts from “the wrong make” were being heated, hammered and made to fit.

I drunk sweet tea with the chaps. It struck me that they were, for the most part, shot to pieces!

I read later that the Londracamp was no longer the truckstop of choice in Istanbul (some galleria with a KFC and Pizza Hut?) but I`m glad I visited such a legendary place.

Vince

all i can say is good luck with the borders at swiss…

it can sometimes be a long process!

“Thanks mate did you beat that, very hot, trail in the eighties then?”

Hi David, to answer your question, no, unfortunatly I was never lucky enough to get down that far. Always wanted to though.

I remember reading about it all in the book “COLA COWBOYS” Read that in the Eighties when it first came out and found it most intriguing!! Its probably out of print now but worth a read if you can still find a copy, lent mine to somebody about 13 years ago!! :frowning:
The driver featured in it was Trevor somebody I think and on the front cover was a left ■■■■■■ Astran Scania (reg AOO 80X I think!!) I sought of remember seeing it in either Germany or Belgium once.

A facinating read, did you visit the “Mirrors restaurant” on the “Tap Line Road”?

Would love to see some tales from that time and those routes in this site!!

Just to get back on thread, if you`re on the way to Italy and find yourself going up a long winding mountain pass following signs to a border crossing called Gurbulak/ Bazargan then a sign saying Iran then maybe you have gone abit to far!! :smiley:

But then again if you have got that far then Italy should be a piece of cake :smiley: Good luck and enjoy it.

Bullitt.

PS David, click on this link johnpettitt.com/my_trucks.html

to see some interesting photos from that era.
You or some of the others who used to run down there may even know the guy in them!!

bullitt:
" Its probably out of print now but worth a read if you can still find a copy, lent mine to somebody about 13 years ago!!

It is out of print but I`ve just had a quick look and Abebooks, Alibris and BookFinder all have second-hand copies.

Paperbacks are around a tenner. If you fancy the hardback version, make sure you are sitting down before clicking to find out the price! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince