First come first served? Not up to the driver

I’ve been shunting for the last few years, had blokes throwing punches and rolling around over yard parking spaces, the more companies micro manage the more drivers seem to be getting stressed about trivial things, telling them their load will be refused normally calms the situation!

robroy:

Rowley010:
So this happens a lot, and there’s been a video on YouTube by that trucker jay a while back having an argument with another driver about who’s getting tipped first.

This morning, I turn up at my drop. There’s one in the yard already, and 2 waiting outside. I go to see the yard stafff with my notes and he says, right you come in next. Me knowing that is going to totally ■■■■ off the 2 drivers who arrived before me, I say are you sure? I’m happy to wait to my turn. He says no we want you in next. So one being tipped pulls out, and I pull in. You can see what happens next before I say it… driver waiting gets out comes mouthing off to yard man about how he was here first. Didn’t hear what was said but he was obviously told to do one and wait until called.

As I pulled out I could see the way he was looking at me his blood was boiling. Hahahaha

Now, I understand…it’s annoying…but at any delivery point it’s up to the yard staff who they want in next regardless of who came first. I agree I’d be annoyed as well, but at the end of the day who gets tipped in which order isnt up to me unless we’ve all been told first come first served, in which case we sort it out between ourselves.

I don’t get why some drivers think it’s their choice who gets tipped at a customer/delivery point.

Not being funny mate, you just admitted you knew it would ■■■■ them off, so would it not have diffused the whole situation if you had said prior to going in…
‘‘Look lads I know you’ve been waiting x no. of hours, but he’s asked me to go in before you, sorry about that’’
That is what I would do, (and have done numerous times in the past in that scenario)
Granted not necessary, but just good manners, we’re all drivers together.
Why ■■■■ people when you can easily avoid it. :bulb:

^^^^^^ This

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

“How is that gloating?” … hmmm, let’s see. Well maybe it’s when you said this;

Rowley010:
As I pulled out I could see the way he was looking at me his blood was boiling. Hahahaha

Robroy is right, it wouldn’t have taken even a single minute to be courteous to the other drivers.
Rowley, you’re a twunt.

DaveyCrocket:

Rowley010:

Robroy is right, it wouldn’t have taken even a single minute to be courteous to the other drivers.
Rowley, you’re a twunt.

^^^^^^ this also

You don’t drive for p&h by any chance :unamused:

Harry Monk:
I had it a few months ago. Turned up at a place, there was a container truck already waiting. Yardman told me to put it on the bay. So I did that, then went into the warehouse for a coffee and a chat with the lads. Matey boy comes stomping up, [zb] and blinding and saying “I’ve been waiting three hours and he’s only just turned up.” So the yardman said “Yes, but we need the cradle that’s on his trailer to tip your load”. That shut him right up. :stuck_out_tongue:

On the other hand It would of been good if the yard man bud Approached the said driver and explained the situation ie awaiting you to arrive?

I think people who unload should talk to drivers more and Maybe that way you wouldn’t get this Foolishness.

One of the few benefits of working for a multi drop firm is that I can just put the delivery down as failed if the wait is longer then 15 minutes.
That being said my average stop time when doing deliveries is usually 5 minutes or less as I don’t mess about.

buses:

Harry Monk:
I had it a few months ago. Turned up at a place, there was a container truck already waiting. Yardman told me to put it on the bay. So I did that, then went into the warehouse for a coffee and a chat with the lads. Matey boy comes stomping up, [zb] and blinding and saying “I’ve been waiting three hours and he’s only just turned up.” So the yardman said “Yes, but we need the cradle that’s on his trailer to tip your load”. That shut him right up. :stuck_out_tongue:

On the other hand It would of been good if the yard man bud Approached the said driver and explained the situation ie awaiting you to arrive?

I think people who unload should talk to drivers more and Maybe that way you wouldn’t get this Foolishness.

In principle yes. Communication is good.
But should it be necessary to sooth the ruffled feathers of drivers by taking a hike up and down the street explaining to them what’s happening, instead of doing his job of actually tipping them?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

robroy:

Olog Hai:

robroy:
As I said, I would have taken the time to ‘‘clear it’’ with the other two lads, …but hey, that’s just me. :bulb:

Maybe, but the risk in doing that is of encountering one of the bulging-eye brigade who become very angry about the smallest thing, which it appears Rowley did anyway, albeit after being tipped. There is no reasoning with people like them so why even attempt to? If they have a problem they need to speak to the yard man.

Or on the other hand I could just as likely have encountered a couple of reasonable lads who would have just said ‘‘Ok mate, thanks for telling us’’ :neutral_face:
Maybe the bulging eyes came about after they thought
(albeit wrongly) that Rowley was taking liberties, not to mention his ‘‘Hahaha’’ display when he went past them. :bulb:

Look it’s became a mountain molehill situation this, but if you’re sat or stood in any sort of queue for [zb] ages, and somebody jumps it (irrespective of the reason) you’re going to get a bit ■■■■■■■■■■ of.

No rob this is where you’ve taken my post the wrong way and I’ve perhaps written it badly.

It wasn’t a “hahaha” as I went past. The hahaha is just on here as me finding it amusing looking back how drivers will get so annoyed at something small like that.

As I went past I put my hand up and shouted thanks pal. There was no “hahaha” or middle finger in the air as I went past

DaveyCrocket:

Rowley010:

Rowley, you’re a twunt.

Thank you

Rowley010:

robroy:

Olog Hai:

robroy:
As I said, I would have taken the time to ‘‘clear it’’ with the other two lads, …but hey, that’s just me. :bulb:

Maybe, but the risk in doing that is of encountering one of the bulging-eye brigade who become very angry about the smallest thing, which it appears Rowley did anyway, albeit after being tipped. There is no reasoning with people like them so why even attempt to? If they have a problem they need to speak to the yard man.

Or on the other hand I could just as likely have encountered a couple of reasonable lads who would have just said ‘‘Ok mate, thanks for telling us’’ :neutral_face:
Maybe the bulging eyes came about after they thought
(albeit wrongly) that Rowley was taking liberties, not to mention his ‘‘Hahaha’’ display when he went past them. :bulb:

Look it’s became a mountain molehill situation this, but if you’re sat or stood in any sort of queue for [zb] ages, and somebody jumps it (irrespective of the reason) you’re going to get a bit ■■■■■■■■■■ of.

No rob this is where you’ve taken my post the wrong way and I’ve perhaps written it badly.

It wasn’t a “hahaha” as I went past. The hahaha is just on here as me finding it amusing looking back how drivers will get so annoyed at something small like that.

As I went past I put my hand up and shouted thanks pal. There was no “hahaha” or middle finger in the air as I went past

Ok Rowley, maybe I read it wrong, …point explained.
Like I said,.I would have just said something to the 2 lads waiting outside prior to going in, as a bit of a gesture.
After all the stick you’ve got on this, I bet you do just that next time eh? :laughing: :wink:

mick.mh2racing:
From the other perspective then I was running a goods in office and vehicles have a booking time, loose one at that and were tipped in order.
However once a couple of drivers just waited on the road and didn’t announce their arrival to us so I didn’t know about their arrival.
Next thing Stobart arrive, could have been anyone just as we finish tipping previous vehicle. So I tell Stobart to back up to doors and we’ll tip him now.
Suddenly there’s 2 drivers in my face shouting that they were next. My reply was that I didn’t even know they were here.
I made them wait.

sent using smoke signals

Exactly the problem, if the customer doesn’t know you are there, you have kissed goodbye to any waiting time, some loads are booked in and tipped off site or papers changed for a blind delivery.
The first thing is to announce you are there, then it’s the yard man, goods in clerk or security who decides the tilling or loading order

Hmmmm in the EXACT situation again then maybe not. It’s hard to describe without a diagram but just the way that I was, and where the yard was, and where the others were parked, it was just easier and quicker to nip in rather than, what I felt, waste their time by walking around first.

I have in the past been to explain that is the case though and I normally would do… just this very specific situation it seemed the easiest and quickest option not to.

But my original post was asking the question in a more general manner, with me using this specific situation just as an example. And the point I was getting at that it’s not up to a driver who goes in first which you agree with me on…and that’s what my original post was getting at. So in a long way round, and like you say after a mountain has been made out of a mole hill, I think we pretty much agree on the same things.

Every man for himself, plus give the 2 fingers
That’s the way the job is most would drive over there mother for a pound and pass a picket
Look after numero one

Rowley010:
Hmmmm in the EXACT situation again then maybe not. It’s hard to describe without a diagram but just the way that I was, and where the yard was, and where the others were parked, it was just easier and quicker to nip in rather than, what I felt, waste their time by walking around first.

I have in the past been to explain that is the case though and I normally would do… just this very specific situation it seemed the easiest and quickest option not to.

But my original post was asking the question in a more general manner, with me using this specific situation just as an example. And the point I was getting at that it’s not up to a driver who goes in first which you agree with me on…and that’s what my original post was getting at. So in a long way round, and like you say after a mountain has been made out of a mole hill, I think we pretty much agree on the same things.

Meh. Stop worrying what randoms on the internet think and spending all your life dissecting it! If other drivers waiting have a problem with you driving past them then that’s for them to take up with the company’s staff, not you. Sure, if you’re walking past their cab doors enroute and they’re looking open to conversation (window open, not on phone/asleep, don’t look like foreigners :smiley: or are stood outside for example) then yes I’d mention the craic to them so they’re in the loop, but I most certainly wouldn’t be making a special detour, nor stopping to inform them if it’s ■■■■■■■ it down. Even when you do stop to let them know you’re usually met with a barrage of abuse, questioning and lengthy boring story on how they started a 4am, been sat there waiting for 4 hours already, will run out of hours and still have another 38 drops to do before they’re finished, won’t make it to the services and how they’re meant to be going to their grandson’s birthday party, so it’s simpler to not saying another at all and just get on with your job as instructed.

If your requested to go in before other drivers or on a bay before other drivers the yes it’s unfortunate but the way it happens.

Would I go round telling the other drivers no I wouldn’t, why should you have to?

Lots of things are not fair in life and people need to get over it.

Things happen just crack on and worry about your own business not someone else’s.

If your not happy with the situation then go to the staff on site and politely explain you’ve been waiting and ask why a driver that has just turned up has been given preference.

Simple and all will be revealed.

The great driver fraternity. No wonder the jobs gone to the dogs. “Look after numero Uno”. Pretty much sums the world up.

As you all know i don’t have to put up with stuff like this
It has it advantage working for big companies you don’t get treated like crap and if you are top dog the job is a breeze you get tipped as soon as you arrive
I could never see myself leaving the yard and thinking how long Will i have to wait

Jamesduff:
It has it advantage working for big companies you don’t get treated like crap and if you are top dog the job is a breeze you get tipped as soon as you arrive
I could never see myself leaving the yard and thinking how long Will i have to wait

“As we all know” . Sorry James I must have missed that bit, please enlighten me.

the maoster:

Jamesduff:

“As we all know” . Sorry James I must have missed that bit, please enlighten me.

I thought it was just me. :smiley:
Btw. How do you reach that one about 'Big Companies?
Are Stobarts not a big co? :bulb:
Also…is ‘Top Dog’ your own opinion of yourself, or is that official? :laughing:

Wondering how long I’ll have to wait? :open_mouth:
Nor would I, tbh it would be just positively beneath me,…I’m way too good for that… :smiley: