First accident

^^^^^^^^ Excellent !! :laughing: :laughing:
Regards John.

Photograph everything, if he is walking and smoking, he may go for shock, whiplash and stress after telling his mate in the pub later

old 67:

switchlogic:

xichrisxi:
Depends on the company I guess,we had a new guy bend his tail lift after getting it caught on a wall so they got it secured and told him to drive back to the yard to change vehicle so he could carry on with his route which he did then managed to run into the back of a coach on the motorway on his way back out…2 wagons off the road in the space of a few hours,but he didn’t lose his job

I think he probably should have though!

A bit harsh Luke. It’s not as if he had run out of road and laid it on its side in a ditch, now is it ■■ :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Regards. John.

I’ve been sacked for accidents before now (not that one though) and I can’t say I was hard done by. His first accident wasnt too bad but running into the back of a coach? When you’re in a new job and have just had an accident?! Seems seriously careless to me

switchlogic:

old 67:

switchlogic:

xichrisxi:
Depends on the company I guess,we had a new guy bend his tail lift after getting it caught on a wall so they got it secured and told him to drive back to the yard to change vehicle so he could carry on with his route which he did then managed to run into the back of a coach on the motorway on his way back out…2 wagons off the road in the space of a few hours,but he didn’t lose his job

I think he probably should have though!

A bit harsh Luke. It’s not as if he had run out of road and laid it on its side in a ditch, now is it ■■ :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Regards. John.

I’ve been sacked for accidents before now (not that one though) and I can’t say I was hard done by. His first accident wasnt too bad but running into the back of a coach? When you’re in a new job and have just had an accident?! Seems seriously careless to me

Aye, right enough Luke, just couldn’t resist a bit of mischief !! :blush: :slight_smile:

I have been driving since August and have taken 2 mud guards off :blush:

All that has been said to me is be more careful and was another few hours in the yard with the driver trainer, (he did think I was unlucky with the second one).

Assuming they know your a new driver they have to expect something so hopefully won’t be to bad with you.

Best of luck

I might have found a company that is decent.

They were more concerned over if I was ok and very much along the lines of these things happen. Damage isn’t great, no one is hurt and back in the morning ‘some idiot managed no deliveries today so there’s plenty needs doing’.

Am pleased for you. It’s hell being a new driver sometimes

Take a camera with you and photograph everything. The advice is good from the earlier posts, believe me!

I remember following a car along new beacon road in Grantham on my z650 kawasaki , suddenly car did a full on emergency stop , I hit the back of it and ended up on boot , luckily not injured badly but dazed , bloke couldn’t be more apologetic , he was a driving instructor , had a quick look in mirror, didn’t see me , hit dashboard with book and pupil did emergency stop :unamused: .
I’ve always been very weary of learner cars since :exclamation:

the maoster:
Every one should have at least one crash, it knocks the cockiness out of you and really makes you reevaluate your driving. The best we can hope for is that nobody is injured. It sounds that way in this case and hopefully some major lessons will have been learned turning you into a better driver.

100% agree with this. I wrote a new truck off which even though was not my fault, scared the hell out of me and now I am a better & more careful driver for it.

UKtramp:

the maoster:
Every one should have at least one crash, it knocks the cockiness out of you and really makes you reevaluate your driving. The best we can hope for is that nobody is injured. It sounds that way in this case and hopefully some major lessons will have been learned turning you into a better driver.

100% agree with this. I wrote a new truck off which even though was not my fault, scared the hell out of me and now I am a better & more careful driver for it.

Didn’t the responsible engineer in Bophal have a similar defence…

Did you get sacked OP?

Here’s a question for everyone else. If he did/does would he need to tell his next employer assuming he sticks to driving? I’d be tempted not to but presumably with an insurance claim occouring his future employer could/will find out.

Being a bit of a worrier myself and having had a close call or 2 got me thinking about it. Its one thing to say if a place sacks you for an accident particularly your first then you’re better off elsewhere but not if you can’t get work.

Firstly hope you don’t get sacked and I doubt you will being your first accident. Be honest and learn from it. Maybe just maybe you were too close, a lot of drivers do not realise they are too close until the unevitable happens. Good luck.

Never admit liability at the scene to any accident.
If you say sorry my fault to 3rd party then your admitting fault.
As once you say sorry my fault in public. That’s it you admitted blame even if at the time you thought you was but turned put you wasn’t it’s to late . Can’t change your mind.

jakethesnake:
Firstly hope you don’t get sacked and I doubt you will being your first accident. Be honest and learn from it. Maybe just maybe you were too close, a lot of drivers do not realise they are too close until the unevitable happens. Good luck.

Think he’ll know by now, the thread is over a year old. :wink:

nettrucker:
Did you get sacked OP?

Here’s a question for everyone else. If he did/does would he need to tell his next employer assuming he sticks to driving? I’d be tempted not to but presumably with an insurance claim occouring his future employer could/will find out.

Being a bit of a worrier myself and having had a close call or 2 got me thinking about it. Its one thing to say if a place sacks you for an accident particularly your first then you’re better off elsewhere but not if you can’t get work.

If the interviewer doesn’t ask, then I don’t see the need to bring it up especially, however, if it’s a direct question, then never lie. I had someone who admitted turning over a trailer on a roundabout - didn’t phase me as there is a school of thought that says someone going through an accident like that, tends to be more cautious.

Did he have any real reason to suddenly break? Maybe it was an insurance scam

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

xichrisxi:

Lol.

When I first started driving a few years back I took out a parked car with my tail end swing. The car was parked right on the corner of a junction and when I turned right I took out the car.

No damage to the truck what so ever. I told my boss, took photos and left my details on the car I’d hit. I asked about 5 people in the area who’s car it was but surprisingly they didn’t speak English ( I was in Bradford)

Even more surprising is that I’ve never heard anything back about it to this day, and I didn’t get sacked!

It probably an uninsured car anyway

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4 seconds minimum between you and the vehicle in front in good conditions, 6 seconds in a Eurocargo the brakes are cack.

Learn from it, never stop learning, a good driver constantly evaluates his/her performance.

I believe stress is a major factor in driver behaviour it causes the wrong decisions to be made and seems to encourage risk taking.

Think about how your driving is perceived by other road users and always look at the worst case scenario what could happen if I do X or Y.

Driving like a bell end will gain you a few minutes a day and the amount of stress involved is detrimental to your long term health and make a nice cushy job a living nightmare.

My mantra, it is what it is until it isn’t.

jakethesnake:

Friend of mine got sacked last week (well not sacked since he was on agency so they just told him they “won’t be needing him anymore” - the client, not the agency) for his first accident, prior to that he had been driving for them for about 4 months with 0 issues. He broke a taxi’s side window with his rear end on a narrow road when he was turning. Myself, I had a minor non-consequential accident where I bent a metal fence post and never got hired by that client again even though there was no damage on the truck. Seems to be a zero tolerance for any accidents out there, no matter how small.

albion:

jakethesnake:

Think he’ll know by now, the thread is over a year old. :wink:

Guess who did not look at the date. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: