European drivers required

Harry Monk:

yourhavingalarf:
The ‘golden age’ has gone. It’s tied into trackers and mobile phones now. Every job and every minute is timed out and used to maximise profits.

Long gone are the days of weekends on beaches by the Med, sleepy orchards in France, T form delays on borders and clubs in Spain.

Yes, it’s sad. It was a cracking job back in the day. Getting to Milan mid-day Tuesday, putting your T-forms in and then having the rest of the day off in a bar with the lads. Had a fair few weekends on the beach too. The last time I went to Italy (and this was over 10 years ago now), the first other British truck I saw was on the climb up Mont Blanc and I didn’t see another one after that. There was a time when you could pull into any motorway service area in Italy and there would be half-a-dozen British trucks there.

Did a bit of event work last year and would get to an event unload the truck, help a bit with the set-up, basically make sure the customer is happy that the cars and kit I brought was where they wanted, then have the next couple of days off while the event was on.

Sadly it wasn’t really a full time job, but with that and freelancing for various race teams I earned enough so I didn’t have to work during the winter, some double manning and unsociable driving hours to get to and from some events, loads of cab hopping, a bit of graft, but often well looked after by the event company, especially if you were staying in the same hotel.

You probably see more Brit trucks going to Italy than anywhere else, always seeing loads of Alcalaine and EM Rogers recently.

Harry Monk:

yourhavingalarf:
The ‘golden age’ has gone. It’s tied into trackers and mobile phones now. Every job and every minute is timed out and used to maximise profits.

Long gone are the days of weekends on beaches by the Med, sleepy orchards in France, T form delays on borders and clubs in Spain.

Yes, it’s sad. It was a cracking job back in the day. Getting to Milan mid-day Tuesday, putting your T-forms in and then having the rest of the day off in a bar with the lads. Had a fair few weekends on the beach too. The last time I went to Italy (and this was over 10 years ago now), the first other British truck I saw was on the climb up Mont Blanc and I didn’t see another one after that. There was a time when you could pull into any motorway service area in Italy and there would be half-a-dozen British trucks there.

I notice that you remember the afternoons etc off waitng to clear on the way in, but don’t mention the late clearance out on Friday evening followed by “the big one” up for the boat? [emoji3]
Some good times then, for sure, but not without some downsides.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Harry Monk:

yourhavingalarf:

I notice that you remember the afternoons etc off waitng to clear on the way in, but don’t mention the late clearance out on Friday evening followed by “the big one” up for the boat? [emoji3]
Some good times then, for sure, but not without some downsides.

Too true .Salad still in the field on a Friday in Murcia and due in Paddock Wood 08.00 Monday morning . We deserved a day on the beach .Chase it with the fish down to Irun to clear and then deliver and then down to Murcia to get reloaded .Not all fun

Too true .Salad still in the field on a Friday in Murcia and due in Paddock Wood 08.00 Monday morning . We deserved a day on the beach .Chase it with the fish down to Irun to clear and then deliver and then down to Murcia to get reloaded .Not all fun

But didnt the coffee with the Mayor and a swim with his daughter make up for the chase? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Weekended in Coslada,fighting between drivers of the same company, or if the footie was at Fred’s, fights between different nationalities.
Did anyone get stopped or saw the Scottish man who patrolled the Periphique around Paris ?
The rumour was he had a ginger beard, and worked as motorbike Gendarme ?
Pinocio of Cherbourg, hated UK and Irish drivers, and sat in waiting at the top of the hill, with binoculars .
Saint Andre du Cubzac, the BP truckstop North of Bordeaux, fights there after too many Sherbert’s.

msgyorkie:

But didnt the coffee with the Mayor and a swim with his daughter make up for the chase? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You’ve been on this forum for a few years to remember that reference. :laughing:

Toby seems less joyful these days, :frowning:

It’s a sure thing meeting the mayor’s daughter in any Spanish town when parked up.

My company goes against the grain obviously as we get paid more on Euro work then when we work UK/Ireland.

toby1234abc:
Weekended in Coslada,fighting between drivers of the same company, or if the footie was at Fred’s, fights between different nationalities.
Did anyone get stopped or saw the Scottish man who patrolled the Periphique around Paris ?
The rumour was he had a ginger beard, and worked as motorbike Gendarme ?
Pinocio of Cherbourg, hated UK and Irish drivers, and sat in waiting at the top of the hill, with binoculars .
Saint Andre du Cubzac, the BP truckstop North of Bordeaux, fights there after too many Sherbert’s.

Yay hello Tobes…you have been quiet latley!

msgyorkie:

Blimey i lived a quiet and uneventful time .never ever saw a fight at Freds or got to chase or be chased by a mayors daughter…although there was that fiesta in Boceguillas…and meeting a pretty red head in Marbelle …and a young lass from Carlisle in Gibralter…um yes and lots of girls from pack houses who loved to fiesta …

Glad my pessimism didn’t bring the mood down!
If it wasn’t for the silly targets (and low fines) we wouldn’t have stories about the “one hitters” to bore our younger colleagues with! Normally just after we’ve told 'em off for doing too much…

I do wonder if Toby has a good lawyer? With a bit of effort he could sue TripAdvisor for stealing his idea couldn’t he?

Franglais:
Glad my pessimism didn’t bring the mood down!
If it wasn’t for the silly targets (and low fines) we wouldn’t have stories about the “one hitters” to bore our younger colleagues with! Normally just after we’ve told 'em off for doing too much…

I do wonder if Toby has a good lawyer? With a bit of effort he could sue TripAdvisor for stealing his idea couldn’t he?

Retrospectivly we all did some silly stuff .The foolishness of youth i suppose and came out older ,wiser and slower . And now make sure there is time for coffee and lunch.